| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 759 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

creep wrote:
So when a recipe specifies 3 lbs of apples, is that before or after peeling and coring them? I bought a package of 4 pounds thinking I wouldn't need it all, but then that question crossed my brain.

I measured them before coring (I never peel apples, I'm too lazy and I like the skin), and everything always worked perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:46 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Boston cream cookie pie is a great place to start.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:45 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Anyone from Australia got it? I've pre-ordered few weeks ago and my copy is shipped from Book Depository and will be arrived by next week.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:10 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Mine came yesterday and within 3 hours I had the Very Berry Chocolate Chip Cobbler in the oven. It is INCREDIBLE.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:34 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Apple pie was delish. My crust wouldn't stay in one piece when I tried to lift it off the table, but the cinnamon/sugar topping covered all the ugly places I had to squeeze it together.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:41 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I still don't have mine! Why Amazon, why??

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:05 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I made the sweet potato pie! It smells fantastic, but I'm bringing it to a potluck so I can't devour it just yet.

Has anyone made the peanut butter tartlets? How sturdy are they? If I made the teeny ones in muffin cups would they survive an airplane ride in a tupperware container?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:51 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I have the cheesecake cooling in the fridge for my potluck tonight! I'm dying to try it!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

pastabake wrote:
Has anyone made the peanut butter tartlets? How sturdy are they? If I made the teeny ones in muffin cups would they survive an airplane ride in a tupperware container?

How long is the plane ride? These were super sturdy when I made them, but they were in mini-tart pans and we ate them straight from the freezer. They'll probably be okay if you can quickly throw them back in a freezer when you get to where you're going... otherwise you'll just have to eat them all on the plane. How awful.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:49 pm 
Cranky

Isn't peanut butter considered a gel? They might not let you through with them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:53 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Sweet potato pie was delicious and received rave reviews from potluck attendees. One dude asked me where I bought it.

I think I'm going to make the pb/chocolate tartlets today or tomorrow, freeze em, and see how they hold up in my luchbox/how I feel about taking them on the plane--doubt I'll have trouble in the liquid dept, as I've successfully brought on hummus several times. If they don't work, boyfriend will have to deal with peanut butter pillows.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:03 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I want to make the Chocolate-Orange Hazelnut Tarts as one 9-inch tart instead of mini ones, am I doomed to failure?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:16 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Got mine from Amazon Friday (not pre-ordered, for anyone who's taking notes)! I'm too sick to do much cooking but I did my traditional "go through the book and add color-coded flags to stuff I want to make" thing, and as I got into the second half it became clear I was flagging almost every page in the book. Not useful as an organizational system, but super exciting in terms of future dessert potential!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:58 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made the salted caramel tart. I think I cooked the caramel a little to long because it's a bisque to slice. Fourteen WW points a serving, but oh so worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:27 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Made the strawberry-rhubarb pie. T'was very yummy, even though my ice cream maker decided to cark it so I ate it bare.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:07 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

My copy arrived on Friday! I made the maple-kissed blueberry pie with the double buttery crust and it was so tasty! I used frozen berries and the filling was a little watery, so make sure to follow the tip and increase your thickener when using frozen fruits! It tasted great, though!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:37 pm 
Nailed to the V

I complained to Amazon and just received the following response: "I'm sorry for any misunderstanding regarding this item. I've checked the availability of "Vegan Pie in the Sky" on our website and see that it is scheduled for release on October 25, 2011. Although we do have your copy of "Vegan Pie in the Sky" on hand, we can't ship it to you until its official release date, October 25, 2011. Many manufacturers, publishers, and record labels restrict retailers from selling or shipping their products until the official release date. We rely on the publisher for release date information. Our most recent information was that "Vegan Pie in the Sky" will be released on October 25, 2011."

I suppose that those of you who have already received your copies through Amazon must have imagined the whole thing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:50 pm 
Nailed to the V

bcakes wrote:
I complained to Amazon and just received the following response: "I'm sorry for any misunderstanding regarding this item. I've checked the availability of "Vegan Pie in the Sky" on our website and see that it is scheduled for release on October 25, 2011. Although we do have your copy of "Vegan Pie in the Sky" on hand, we can't ship it to you until its official release date, October 25, 2011. Many manufacturers, publishers, and record labels restrict retailers from selling or shipping their products until the official release date. We rely on the publisher for release date information. Our most recent information was that "Vegan Pie in the Sky" will be released on October 25, 2011."

I suppose that those of you who have already received your copies through Amazon must have imagined the whole thing.

:( How sucky and inconsistent of them. Not that I wouldn't dream of a book like that, but I most definitely received it from Amazon! And it doesn't sound like a mistake that someone made sending some out early, if they've done it with other books too. Sorry :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:29 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

masuphl wrote:
bcakes wrote:

:( How sucky and inconsistent of them. Not that I wouldn't dream of a book like that, but I most definitely received it from Amazon! And it doesn't sound like a mistake that someone made sending some out early, if they've done it with other books too. Sorry :(

Amazon told me I'm not getting mine until end of Oct/early Nov either. Sad face.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:28 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Mine shipped from the Book Depository yesterday. I am hoping and hoping it will be here today... but most likely I'll have to wait for tomorrow or even Thur/Fri.
However I made the pear frangipane tart from the site and it was delicious! Only, there was so much frangipane batter that when I put in the sliced pears it overflowed and burned a little. But it set perfectly! Also, I only needed 2 1/2 pears and the pan was full.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:57 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

radish sandwich wrote:
I want to make the Chocolate-Orange Hazelnut Tarts as one 9-inch tart instead of mini ones, am I doomed to failure?

Ok, so I did this, and it worked fine! I made sure I let it set for a pretty long time. I did have a little leftover filling, way more than I could pour into the crust, but no problem, I just poured it into a little dish and ate it with a spoon. Like you do.

The tart was so good! Totally worth tracking down coffee extract. And the chocolate olive oil crust is amazing. Now I want to make everything in this book.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:21 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I made appleberry pie with a whole wheat buttery double crust last night and it's awesome! I only had whole wheat pastry flour on hand, plus it makes eating pie for breakfast seem quite reasonable. That crust had way more fat than I've ever put into a pie crust before, but it really does taste good and seems not to get soggy as easily as other crusts (still crisp as of this morning's breakfast!).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:45 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

www.amazon.co.uk now says that the item will be released on 11th November!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:55 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Chickpea wrote:
http://www.amazon.co.uk now says that the item will be released on 11th November!!!!

I know!! I ordered mine from The Book Depository today & they said 48 hours. hana's arrived so I'm pretty hopeful!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:42 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

My book has shipped and apparently arrived in Halifax this morning. I will be disappointed if it isn't in my mailbox tomorrow - my book club meets this weekend and we have been sadly dessert free for a while now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 759 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 31  Next