| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:56 pm 
Married to the wolfman

pastabake wrote:
I made the key lime yesterday, but I had a bunch of grapefruit I needed to use so I replaced the lime juice/zest with grapefruit. It's delicious.

Holy shiitake that sounds good.

I am making the key lime right now! But with normal limes.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:00 pm 
Ninja Master

I'm making the chocolate brownie peanut butter cheesecake this weekend. I am excited.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:12 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hoping to make the pecan tonight!! It's hard to pick which one to make first though...I'm so excited!! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:47 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I got this for Christmas. Unfortunately my pregnant body is gagging at the thought or sight of most sweets. So I have barely perused it yet, and my life is miserable until this phase has passed.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I miss making pies.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:36 pm 
Tofu Pup

Sorry if this has already been asked - newbie here. I have this lovely book but I have made the pie shell and I can't see anywhere how to cook it? It is for the banana toffee pie. The recipe for the crust tells you how to make the crust but not how to cook it. The banana recipe just says prep and cook the pastry case.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:00 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I made the chocolate pudding pie today. Yom yom yom!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:26 am 
Ninja Master

baps wrote:
I'm making the chocolate brownie peanut butter cheesecake this weekend. I am excited.

Made this yesterday, it is effing awesome. I am excited to eat more of it later.

My omni friend said it was awesome too! And she is a (dairy) cheesecake fan.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:24 am 
Tofu Pup

OH MY! Banana Toffee Pudding - pp114. Amazing! Thank you so much for this book! :0)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

cappuccino mousse!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:10 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

margyparker wrote:
Sorry if this has already been asked - newbie here. I have this lovely book but I have made the pie shell and I can't see anywhere how to cook it? It is for the banana toffee pie. The recipe for the crust tells you how to make the crust but not how to cook it. The banana recipe just says prep and cook the pastry case.

I had the same issue and I baked the crust for about 15 minutes at 350F, until it turned golden. Worked fine!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Made the chocolate galaxy banana cheesecake the other day and it was gone within 24 hours. My ovo-lacto vegetarian roommate and omni sister loved it, my sister brought it in to her cheesecake loving omni boss who said it was awesome, and couldn't get over the fact that there was no dairy in it. My mom had a piece when my sister was eating the very last slice, and said it was fantastic.

I think I might make the brownie peanut butter one tonight!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:38 pm 
Tofu Pup

Anek wrote:
margyparker wrote:

I had the same issue and I baked the crust for about 15 minutes at 350F, until it turned golden. Worked fine!

Ah fab thanks! Xxx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:09 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made the pumpkin cheesecake a few days ago and the texture/etc. is great, but I used the called-for 1/4 t of orange extract (zest is the other option) and it is WAY too orange-y. It's the first thing you taste and totally overwhelms the flavor of the pumpkin/spices/etc. I wonder if I just have particularly strong orange extract? I used this:

In any case, I'll use less or leave it out if I make this again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:10 am 
ugh

radish, I used the same kind and had the same problem. Of course, I also thought the banana taste was too strong, and I'm not sure how I would find less banana-y bananas.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:19 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

b.vicious wrote:
radish, I used the same kind and had the same problem. Of course, I also thought the banana taste was too strong, and I'm not sure how I would find less banana-y bananas.

There are not-quite-ripe ones, but I kind of hate how they taste. I guess I like banana-iness.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:30 am 
Saggy Butt

The hazelnut truffle tart is so amazing! The filling is just perfect, I want to use it to try and make actual truffles sometime.
I really loved the blueberry cheesecake as well, and it got great review from cheesecake lovers, so I can't wait to try more recipes from that chapter. I didn't notice a banana flavour in mine (the banana I used wasn't very ripe but not green, either).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:09 am 
ugh

Phoenix wrote:
b.vicious wrote:

There are not-quite-ripe ones, but I kind of hate how they taste. I guess I like banana-iness.

To be fair, it still tasted good! It just tasted like orange banana pumpkin cheesecake rather than just pumpkin cheesecake.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:29 am 
Huffs Nooch

Has anyone made the boston creme cake pie? I tried to make it yesterday and had to give up after not one, but two cake layers turned out repulsive. I followed the recipe exactly including sifting the ingredients, but the batter was very liquidy and the flour immediately formed into tiny chunks. I tried to squish them apart but there were too many. After baked, the cake was both floury and slimy. :( I tried making another one and got the same result. What gives?!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

b.vicious wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
b.vicious wrote:

To be fair, it still tasted good! It just tasted like orange banana pumpkin cheesecake rather than just pumpkin cheesecake.

This was my experience exactly. I used orange zest instead of extract and will be leaving it out next time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:03 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

celyn wrote:
I made the chocolate pudding pie today. Yom yom yom!

I made that too, and it made me wonder - in the book it says you can use whatever non-dairy milk you choose, because most recipes only use a little of it. Obviously the chocolate pudding pie recipe uses quite a lot, so will only almond milk work for that recipe? I substituted oat milk because almond milk doesn't seem available in my country (such a shame, it sounds delicious!) and while the texture was great, the oaty taste overpowered the chocolate :s.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:21 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

b.vicious wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
b.vicious wrote:

I've made this one twice (both times with orange zest, not extract), and had the same issue with the orange the first time. The second time I made about 1 or 2 short passes over the orange peel with my microplane and that was it... probably 1/8tsp or so of zest. That worked really well and gave the cheesecake just a hint of orange to offset the pumpkin pie spices. And for the banana, I use a totally green one and can't taste it at all. And if you aren't already, DO THE GINGERSNAP CRUST!!! It's so good with this cheesecake!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:56 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

zensquiggle wrote:
b.vicious wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

I've made this one twice (both times with orange zest, not extract), and had the same issue with the orange the first time. The second time I made about 1 or 2 short passes over the orange peel with my microplane and that was it... probably 1/8tsp or so of zest. That worked really well and gave the cheesecake just a hint of orange to offset the pumpkin pie spices. And for the banana, I use a totally green one and can't taste it at all. And if you aren't already, DO THE GINGERSNAP CRUST!!! It's so good with this cheesecake!

I've made this one three times now, never put in the orange zest or extract and found it to be absolutely delicious without. Very pumpkin-y and rich. This last time I also left out the banana and was pleasantly surprised to find that it makes it even more dense and cheesecake-y to me. Every time, I have used a riff on the almond press in crust using pecans instead and it's been heaven and omni approved!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:14 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My friend made me the chocolate galaxy banana cheesecake for lunch today & gave me a piece to take home. Awesome...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:22 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

At this moment I am baking TWO pies: Appleberry and Blackberry Bramble. I am sooooooo excited. I've been wanting pie so badly for a few days now. I think this is a good sign things my system is returning to Semi-Normal Mode.

ETA: I left out the blackberry liqueur because I had none. Will that make a HUGE difference?

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 31  Next