| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:13 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

How omni-friendly is the blueberry bliss cheesecake?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:52 am 
Saggy Butt

Kittykins wrote:

VERY. I've only made it once but everyone really liked it, especially cheesecake fans!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:35 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Speaking of this recipe, has anyone turned the cheesecake recipes into smaller, cupcake shaped cheesecakes? You know, the kind with the crust pressed into the bottom of a paper liner, cheese filling on top? I want to make the blueberry one using cherries for a friend's get together but also want to make them user friendly. If you can't provide me that that info... how is the filling? Is it too moist? Does it solidify nicely? I just want them to stay together...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:30 am 
Huffs Nooch

Kittykins wrote:

My omni roommates enjoyed it! Be sure to eat it fast because the crust got soggy at the 2 day mark. :P

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:11 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Even though I've been pretty low on money the past few months, I had some breathing room today and decided to finally buy this book because it was on sale at the local bookstore. Yay! I'm saving the fruity pie recipes for summer unless frozen fruit is specifically recommended, so I've been looking at all the creamy and chocolate pies for now. Yum! I don't have any coconut oil (see money problem—though I do plan on buying some soon) but some recipes that don't use it and I have all the ingredients for, like Bannoffee pie, banana cookie cream pudding, and the old fashioned chocolate pudding pie. I would LOVE to make a cheesecake, as I've never made a vegan one before.

Something tells me I'm going to be baking a lot this summer. Hopefully I don't eat everything, which I am very capable of doing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:00 pm 

queenofpainting wrote:
Even though I've been pretty low on money the past few months, I had some breathing room today and decided to finally buy this book because it was on sale at the local bookstore. Yay! I'm saving the fruity pie recipes for summer unless frozen fruit is specifically recommended, so I've been looking at all the creamy and chocolate pies for now. Yum! I don't have any coconut oil (see money problem—though I do plan on buying some soon) but some recipes that don't use it and I have all the ingredients for, like Bannoffee pie, banana cookie cream pudding, and the old fashioned chocolate pudding pie. I would LOVE to make a cheesecake, as I've never made a vegan one before.

Something tells me I'm going to be baking a lot this summer. Hopefully I don't eat everything, which I am very capable of doing.

I can highly recommend the chocolate pudding one - so easy but really really good. I also have the issue with the coconut oil - can you sub it for anything else?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:08 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

queenofpainting wrote:

The Galaxy Banana cheesecake was my first recipe out of there.. I made the graham cracker crust with pretzels instead of the graham crackers and used walnuts for cashews (since they were cheaper). It was heavenly!

If you don't want to eat the whole cheesecake (which would be all too easy for me), I recommend slicing it, wrapping it and freezing it. It'll last longer and you don't have to worry about eating it before it gets soggy. Plus it really does taste awesome half frozen, just like VPITS promises!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:52 am 

Pretzels!!! That sounds delicious. Good to know that I can freeze some of the recipes, too.

I'm currently making the banoffee pie with a chocolate cookie crust. I was pleasantly surprised at how simple the coconut cream was, though I admit I'll probably try to look for lower fat/calorie variations when I'm back in Chicago and have more options. I mean, that's if I'm going to be eating pies regularly, which I probably will now that I have this book.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:36 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I just made the pear frangipane tart. I just took it out of the oven, and it's still pretty soft. I'm hoping it'll harden up a bit more in the two hours it's to cool. I definitely didn't get it as fancy looking as in the book, but it looks good!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:19 pm 

queenofpainting wrote:
Pretzels!!! That sounds delicious. Good to know that I can freeze some of the recipes, too.

I'm currently making the banoffee pie with a chocolate cookie crust. I was pleasantly surprised at how simple the coconut cream was, though I admit I'll probably try to look for lower fat/calorie variations when I'm back in Chicago and have more options. I mean, that's if I'm going to be eating pies regularly, which I probably will now that I have this book.

I hear you loud and clear on that one! That banoffee pie looks extremely dangerous and delicious! Let us know how it turns out!

flavabean wrote:
I just made the pear frangipane tart. I just took it out of the oven, and it's still pretty soft. I'm hoping it'll harden up a bit more in the two hours it's to cool. I definitely didn't get it as fancy looking as in the book, but it looks good!

I'm sure it looks wonderful! Fancy recipe - lots of delicate fruit placement for the (mostly) impatient baker like me..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:02 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Just made the Very Berry Chocolate Chip Cobbler. Made it with apple & blackberries, awesomely scrummy. I need to stop eating it now...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:22 pm 

Chickpea wrote:
Just made the Very Berry Chocolate Chip Cobbler. Made it with apple & blackberries, awesomely scrummy. I need to stop eating it now...

Oooh that gives me an idea.. perhaps cranberries and apples with that chocolate chip topping. I would be perfectly content eating that for dinner.. and breakfast..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:24 am 

Well, I just had very berry cobbler for my breakfast with soya custard. Delicious! Sugar rush start to the day.
I love Terry & Isa & all those fabulous testers out there!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:23 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Made the cosmos apple pie today. Omg! I'm not even an apple pie fan but wowza. I had some apples that i needed to use up. The crust is too yummy. Can't wait to make one with the raspberries from the yard.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:30 pm 

My friend made me Brownie Bottom Peanut Butter Cheesecake today! Beautiful.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:12 pm 

Chickpea wrote:
My friend made me Brownie Bottom Peanut Butter Cheesecake today! Beautiful.

Mmmmm... enjoy some for me!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:54 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Nearly Pi Day, so I'm predicting some apple pie in our future. Also the perfect occasion to try out the blueberry Ginger hand pies.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:23 pm 

TinLychee wrote:
Nearly Pi Day, so I'm predicting some apple pie in our future. Also the perfect occasion to try out the blueberry Ginger hand pies.

I'm plotting for Pi Day, too, and leaning towards an apple pie. I traditionally make square pies for Pi Day and I'm tempted to do this sometime.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

I volunteered at Animal Acres on Saturday and brought the chocolate banana galaxy cheesecake. People loved it. It doesn't taste exactly like cheesecake, but it has a lovely texture and is yummy in its own right. I loved that it didn't call for 10 packages of vegan cream cheese (or any for that matter). Is there a way to prevent leaks from springform pans while baking, or is that just par for the course?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:20 pm 
Tofu Pup

i made my first ever vegan cheesecake thanks to this book. before i was always afraid of things tasting too 'tofu-y', but the kind of complex process actually made me want to try them more. so glad i did, i made the pumpkin ones with some leftover canned pumpkin from thanksgiving.

Alice Walker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:11 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I know ragging on a recipe that wasn't followed exactly is a no-no, so take this with a grain of salt:

I made the key lime pie and subbed grapefruit like someone else recommended in this thread. I'm not sure if there's just too much agar in the recipe, but it is awful. The pie has a really icky gel texture, not creamy at all. I also think it tastes all kinds of bad, but this could be my issue because I like neither grapefruit nor super-tart things (the pie was for my grapefruit-loving boyfriend's birthday). The boy was all about the crust that I made from scratch using the graham cracker recipe from VCIYCJ, but there's just no way to salvage it. It's been sitting in the fridge, untouched, since March 4. I guess it's time to trash it. :( Really wish I could at least find someone to pie...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:57 pm 

Today's pie was Lagusta's chocolate raspberry tart. OMG. Heavenly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:22 pm 

bcakes wrote:
Is there a way to prevent leaks from springform pans while baking, or is that just par for the course?

I think your pan may be on it's way out if it's leaking!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:51 am 

I made the rad whip from the blog and it is amazing!! However, the blog says it makes 4 cups and I barely have 2. Is it not whipped enough?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:43 am 
Ninja Master

I played with the peanut butter brownie cheesecake. I replaced the peanut butter with speculoos spread and changed the base to speculoos biscuit base. It was good.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 31  Next