| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:05 am 
Tofu Pup

So far I have made: Raspberry pie = amazing. Cherry pie = amazing. Lemon mousse pies = amazing. Salted caramel chocolate tart = amazing. I will never cease to be amazed by the amazingness of the the Isa and Terry cookbooks.

Yet for some reason my apple pie seems to have been a bit of stuff up. There was just far too many apples, but I put them all in any way, so my pie looks like a mountain. I saw one or two other people post about this - I am wondering if "6 cups" of apples really equates to "3 pounds" like the recipe says. I weighed out 3 pounds (I'm metric minded, I have no idea what 3 pounds of apples would look like) and it was a heck of a lot more than 6 cups. I am hoping it is still edible.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:09 am 
Tofu Pup

It's all good, pie still turned out awesome, if not a little mountainous, but that's not such a bad thing. My faith is restored. mmmmm pie.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:16 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

TessaM wrote:
It's all good, pie still turned out awesome, if not a little mountainous, but that's not such a bad thing. My faith is restored. mmmmm pie.

A mountainous apple pie sounds great! Plus you can sing Climb Every Mountain from the Sound Of Music while eating it. okay, maybe not.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:02 pm 
Hip Goiter

bunniee wrote:
TessaM wrote:

A mountainous apple pie sounds great! Plus you can sing Climb Every Mountain from the Sound Of Music while eating it. okay, maybe not.

I love everything about this

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:50 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

When I made the cosmos apple pie, I bought a 3lb bag of apples but only used slightly more than 1/2 of it to get to the 6 cups. It was still quite mountainous when I put it the pie dish and I think it ended up being a good amount of apples. I made it with the vodka buttery double crust. It was probably the best thing I've ever made.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the apple berry pie today but with the crumb topping and it was sooo goooood. Hurrah for berry season!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:26 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I made the raspberry pie today and can't say enough good things about it. So far this is my favorite from the ones I've made. And for some reason the crust tasted extra buttery and flakey tonight. Just all around delicious!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:24 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I have been dying to use this book for months and I finally got to make the strawberry rhubarb pie, it was just as amazing I hoped, which means it was incredible.

Now I want to make every single pie in the berry chapter.

I have a question about the rad whip, somehow I have gotten this far in life without a mixer. I'd rather not add one to my cramped kitchen. Do you think I can use my beater attachment for my immersion blender? Or a fork and a fast hand?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:00 pm 
Hip Goiter

Wouldn't the beater attachment do the same job, just handheld instead of standing?

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:21 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I don't know, it's just one big whisk, the mixer seems to mix things together more. But I'll probably just have to try it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:43 pm 
Saggy Butt

I think the beater attachment will work, just make sure you use a big bowl (the whisk attachment on my immersion blender likes to send things flying).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:16 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Just made the Blueberry Bliss Cheesecake. Can't wait to try it tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:21 am 

Blueberry Bliss Cheesecake is blissful!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:12 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I made the Ginger Peach Pandowdy last night. My first pandowdy! It was a little different for me because I don't think I've ever had peaches baked in anything before. But it was very nice especially with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream. At first it was a little weird smashing in a perfectly good crust, but then it was kind of fun.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:31 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah, so the other day my husband asked me where I got the recipe for the apple berry pie. I told him it was in this book and asked why and he said, "Well, you know, just in case something happens to you." !!!! I guess that means he liked it.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:15 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I've been waiting for this season to try the strawberry rhubarb pie, but now that both things are available, I'm not sure. I've never eaten rhubarb before, what does it taste like? What consistency does it have? Shall I go for it?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:29 pm 

Rhubarb is very tart and gets quite soft and a bit stringy when you cook it.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:44 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I peel most of the string off the rhubarb before I slice it up, peels just like a stalk of celery. So I've never noticed stringiness after it's baked.

Edit to add that strawberry-rhubarb pie is a favorite in our house and my hubby's all time pie favorite. I think the strawberries and rhubarb are a nice sweet-tart balance. I say go for it.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:29 am 
Tofu Pup

Gargh.... blueberries are pretty much my favouritest food in the whole world, but I promised myself I wouldn't make any of the blueberry recipes from this book until I got my weight down to my target weight... but I have put on kilos rather than losing them. Might have to break my promise to myself. I want blueberry pie and blueberry cheesecake and blueberry hand pies. I want them now, gosh darn it.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:37 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Just made the Very Berry Chocolate Chip Cobbler. Omg...so good! For some reason though I had to cook it 15 minutes extra because the biscuits were still doughy. I probably could have even cooked it more. I covered it w/ foil again for the last extra 10 minutes because I was afraid the tops of the biscuits would burn. I don't know what the problem was. Sometimes with my oven I have to add on a little extra time but this was excessive. I did use all frozen berries, maybe the coldness kept the biscuits from cooking right? I don't know, but it's delicious and that's what counts.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

just got ingredients for the key lime pie and I am SO EXCITED TO MAKE IT (sunday)

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:53 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Anek wrote:
I've been waiting for this season to try the strawberry rhubarb pie, but now that both things are available, I'm not sure. I've never eaten rhubarb before, what does it taste like? What consistency does it have? Shall I go for it?

Don't hesitate, do it! Mmmm rhubarb.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:00 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Anek wrote:

Rhubarb is one of the two things I absolutely refuse to eat (mushrooms being the other). However, I am in a major minority on this one, so you should try it, because MOST people like it. And if you don't, I have no doubt you could find a neighbour or friend who would snarf it down. ;-)

I made the Blueberry Thrill and Maple-Kissed Blueberry pies on Friday. They were a big hit, but I couldn't really taste much difference between the two. I'm guessing the maple extract would have helped (I didn't have any and used vanilla).

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:08 pm 

Anek wrote:

Absolutely! I have tried it this weekend it is a wonderful combination! The pie is so sweet you don't get the tart rhubarb flavour at all. A great introduction to rhubarb & a fabulous pie!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:53 am 
ugh

I made the strawberry rhubarb pie yesterday. It is delicious, but so soupy I had to serve it in bowls! Anybody know what might have caused this?

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 31  Next