| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:04 pm 
Saggy Butt

Out of sheer exhaustion and desire to use up the leftover/super-ripe Harry & David xmas pears in the fridge, I dove into the Pear Frangipane last nite (pie, not tart since I don't have a tart pan).

I'm not typically drawn to pie-making, and this is only the 2nd recipe I've attempted out of VPiTS since I received it over a year ago. I used the press-in almond crust (exhaustion part =not wanting to wait for pie dough to chill before proceeding), and sub'd almond meal (using a bit less than the specified amount of almonds in the recipe).

The pie smelled AMAZING when I pulled it out of the oven; it's absolutely beautiful (I still cannot seem to post pictures, duh...); and picky omni daughter/pie aficionado LOVED it. We enjoyed it warm last night, and it tastes even better this morning, cold out of the fridge (the crust is crumbly and rich and decadent - so hard to believe it is made from vegetable oil alone, no marg or shortening).

This is so impressive-looking and tasting, and it was unbelievably easy to make (the press-in almond crust facilitated the process, no doubt). This definitely will be made for visiting house-guests in the near future! The custard-y texture with the fruit and crisp/crumbly shell make it just perfect on its own (no ice cream or whip required).

I also have a gang of ripe bananas, and I didn't see a straight-up banana cream pie in VPiTS. Does anyone have a basic but mind-blowing banana cream pie recipe/link? Maybe with silken tofu?

Thanx!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:55 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Gave the Maple kissed blueberry pie a try for Pi Day. :) Btw, I make the double buttery crust only with margarine because shortening is not available in my country. It comes out awesome nonetheless.

We fell in love with the pie, though next time I'll reduce the syrup and/or sugar (too sweet even for us sweet-loving folk!) and cook it maybe an extra 10 minutes. The filling was a bit too syrupy and the bottom of the crust a bit raw. I used frozen berries but forgot to take the advice in the beginning of the book to cook it 10 mins longer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:50 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I've made the strawberry rhubarb pie (without the crust) twice this spring. Make it before you can't find rhubarb anymore this season! It's absolutely delicious because the ingredients are so simple and straight forward. I plan to make this at least once every spring for the rest of my life.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:36 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Marzipan wrote:
I've made the strawberry rhubarb pie (without the crust) twice this spring. Make it before you can't find rhubarb anymore this season! It's absolutely delicious because the ingredients are so simple and straight forward. I plan to make this at least once every spring for the rest of my life.

Mine just came out of the oven. I have to wait until tomorrow night to try it which makes me twitchy. The house smells so good!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:24 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Well I'm stuffed after eating my second blueberry ginger hand pie. These are so good! I love the puffy crust. Now I want to make more hand pies. I can't believe I waited so long to pull out this book and make stuff. The strawberry rhubarb pie was amazing also.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:41 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I've been baking from this book All The Time lately: key lime pie, Manhattan mud pie, coconut cream pie, appleberry pie, and I brought the blueberry lemon cornmeal cobbler to a picnic tonight. They've all been incredible. It's the Summer of Pie!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:54 am 
Tofu Pup

I've been having trouble getting some of my fruit pies' filling to set. I've got an oven thermometer, I'm not cutting until after they've cooled, but have started pre-cooking the fillings because I don't trust them to set. So far have had issues with cherry and peach... recommendations?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:15 am 
And you never will.

Instant tapioca is the only way I've found to really get some of the looser fillings gelled.

ETA: I personally don't really mind loose fruit fillings, but I bake for a cafe who sells pie by the slice, so it really needs to hold its shape after cutting, and instant tapioca is effective without making the filling cloudy or starchy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:02 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I made the lemon mousse pie.. it's amazing! I forgot the coconut oil due to a "I have to work fast, agar doesn't wait" panic and only when I put the pie in the fridge I saw the jar of coconut oil by the stove and D'OH. It still came out really nice! A little soft, but otherwise this is the first pie that came out as creamy as I hoped (the cheesecakes, key lime pie, coconut cream pie all tasted great, but I wasn't *totally* satisfied with the texture).

The topping didn't set properly for me though, it's a bit of a jelly sauce. It doesn't run down the edges of a slice however, just kinda peeks over them, ha. I think I turned down the heat to early and didn't let it come to a full boil.. or maybe the lemons I used were super acidic..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:45 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the Cosmo Apple Pie recently. It was the best pie that I ever made. I've made cheesecakes and pumpkin pies before (from this book) but this was the first double-crust pie I made. It was simply incredible. I made this for my husbands birthday and he was a bit skeptical when I told him the spices in it. He's more of a plain cinnamon apple pie kinda guy. He has now been converted. The crust held together perfectly and I had no boiling over of juice. The apples were nice and a bit crisp still and the dough was just flaky and perfect. The topping really makes it with the cinnamon sugar. Its funny....when I initially heard about a pie book in the dessert trilogy I thought I never make pies, I don't need this one. I ended up buying it just to have the full set. However, this has become the one I bake from the most.

I also recently made the raspberry balsamic pie but made it in little mini tart form. It was awesome. I was lucky to find fresh raspberries at the farmers market. The combo of the balsamic and berries it just lovely.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:05 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My apple tree is dropping apples all over the grass.

Apple crisp to the rescue! I love this recipe, so quick to put together and there is nothing wrong with eating this for breakfast.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:11 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Quick question about the apple cream raisin pie--the directions say to bake for 20 minutes, covered with foil, at 425 degrees, "then turn the heat down to 350 degrees and continue baking for 45 to 55 minutes, until the filling is bubbling." Does that mean the total baking time is 45-55 minutes, or that the 45-55 minutes are in addition to the original 20 (which seems like an awfully long time).

I probably should have posted this before I put the pie in the oven...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:09 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Odd question, but: Has anyone's apple crisp ever come out looking like dill pickle crisp? I followed the recipe exactly, and it tasted great (my husband did the apple-chopping bit, so that's the most likely place for something weird to happen), but my kid wouldn't even take one bite because the dark-green-ness wigged him out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:52 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

eliza wrote:
Quick question about the apple cream raisin pie--the directions say to bake for 20 minutes, covered with foil, at 425 degrees, "then turn the heat down to 350 degrees and continue baking for 45 to 55 minutes, until the filling is bubbling." Does that mean the total baking time is 45-55 minutes, or that the 45-55 minutes are in addition to the original 20 (which seems like an awfully long time).

I'm sure it's too late to answer by now and I hope your pie came out good, but fwiw I have baked it twice and always followed the directions exactly and it came out great.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:45 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Anek wrote:
eliza wrote:

I'm sure it's too late to answer by now and I hope your pie came out good, but fwiw I have baked it twice and always followed the directions exactly and it came out great.

So did you bake it for 20 minutes + 45-55 or 55 total? I'm just not understanding the directions.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:51 pm 
And you never will.

It's 20 minutes at 425, then an additional 45-55 minutes at 350.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:19 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

^^ yes, this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:58 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

poopiebitch wrote:
It's 20 minutes at 425, then an additional 45-55 minutes at 350.

Thank you!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31