| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Abundance Diet by Somer McCowan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:17 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

releases today, I have my copy in my hands.
lots of amazing photos, and i can't wait to delve in.

the funeral potatoes needs to be in my stomach. like. weeks ago.

Post subject: Re: The Abundance Diet by Somer McCowan
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:24 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm really put off this book by the cover part about losing weight, and the blurb under it which talks about cholesterol and blood pressure. I'm not sure I would ever buy a book like that, in fact, but could you say a little about how much of it is recipes which happen to be healthy (like Appetite for Reduction) versus how much it goes on about the so called health benefits?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:19 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Sure!!

right off the bat, Somer talks about why she called it diet, because this is how she predominately eats (ie: her diet), and traditionally, those who do have a plant based diet do tend to have better health benefits (weight loss/lower cholesterol, better blood pressure) etc. than those who do not eat plant based. so basically - simply speaking, linking the two together.

i do think (reading the introduction) this is based off the premise of how her website was founded on (which was how Somer became healthy, etc), and how to do it for 28 days (and then eventually life long).

all the recipes in here are healthy. you aren't really hit over the head by "OMG! if you eat this it lowers xyz, abc" but it does mention how it is lower calorie, or lower fat. (sort of like how some of the blurbs in AfR would go this is my version of ____ without all the fat). if that makes sense.

My personal opinion is that I think you can very easily ignore all the "healthy, weight loss/health benefit" stuff, and use these very easily esp. if you were wanting some new salad/green smoothies. the main meals look really filling (like cheesy potato soup, funeral potatoes, and the like) and desserts.

but i DO think this was written to be a diet/weight loss book with (my belief) the hope to have people stick to a plant based diet at the end of it basically to show even if you don't lose weight, you can still be super satisfied without the meat etc.

so i guess ultimately it depends on what you feel you can ignore vs. what you can..
i liked the recipes in the look now feature, and i while I need to lose some lbs, that's not what i bought the book and i generally skip all that part anyway and get to the meals of the book.

i really hope that helped :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:09 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks a lot for that! I don't think it is for me but I can definitely think of a few people I know who it might work for.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:00 pm 
Tofu Pup

Just got it for my Kindle for $5.99. Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:00 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

WHAT THE HELL IS A FUNERAL POTATO? why is it called something so off-putting? could it sound ANY more unappetizing? is it just me?!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:04 am 
Saggy Butt

Definitely not just you! I think the same thing every time I see it. No idea why you could call it that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:46 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Because you bring them to eat after a funeral! I think that's the Mormon name for them.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:04 am 
Bathes in Braggs

1strangegirlbygolly! wrote:
WHAT THE HELL IS A FUNERAL POTATO? why is it called something so off-putting? could it sound ANY more unappetizing? is it just me?!

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes ... erole.html

http://www.ldsliving.com/story/75517-10 ... to-die-for

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:03 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

This makes me think of the South. i think this is a thing in the American South and Midwest. There's a whole range of comfort food casseroles that people bring to gatherings like post funeral meals...cheesy broccoli and rice casserole comes to mind too.

Anyway, I made this today because, well, cheesy taters and cauliflower. It's really tasty!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:18 am 
Saggy Butt

I know people do that, but I still don't see why you'd add that reference when it's not necessary! I haven't had a chance to make anything yet, but a lot of the recipes look good, especially the salads.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:46 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

KrisB wrote:

i think this is a thing in the American South and Midwest. There's a whole range of comfort food casseroles that people bring to gatherings like post funeral meals...

And here (after looking at the omni funeral potato recipes) I thought it was because if you eat it, it's your funeral.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:35 pm 
Tofu Pup

I have a review and giveaway on my blog for this book. Contest ends June 22.

Giveaway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:07 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I really like this cookbook so far. Lot of fun soups, salads and mains. Full review to follow, but I made the lentil taco salads (without the red pepper dressing) and it was great. I also made the BBQ chickpeas which were surprisingly not tomato-based but had the salty-smoky thing going instead. Excellent for salads, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:16 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Full review with a recipe for the BBQ Roasted Chickpeas... and a giveaway for a US mailing address.
Enjoy!

https://tastespace.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... -giveaway/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:29 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

This is 1/2 off on Amazon so I decided to order it tonight. I think it will be good to teach me to cook without oil. I really add to much oil to my otherwise healthy meals. I'm hoping to find some good weeknight meals and save my heavier meals for the weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:36 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I absolutely LOVED the things I've made from this book so far! I have a few more books to review for my blog, so I had to stop cooking from it, but it's really good.

That chile rellenos casserole was a bit of work, but unlike anything else I've eaten in 15 years of veganism. SO GOOD. Creamy and rich and flavorful - I served it at a family party and it was completely devoured / casserole dish was literally scraped clean.

The veggie lasagna was also a total hit, and something I"m already anticipating making again.

I haven't really explored the smoothie recipes yet, because I"m not much of a smoothie person, but I might give it a go later.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:19 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

The Rawkin Rainbow Salad was AMAZING. I really didn't expect the dressing to pack so much punch. My roommate tasted it and just poured it on what he was eating too. This is my first from the book, but I'm inspired to try more.