| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Quick Fix Vegan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:09 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Beanitarian wrote:
This is an old thread but a good book. I've made the Roasted Ratatouille a couple of times now -- this most recent time I pretty much improvised due to time and ingredient constraints, and ended up with a perfect quick meal. Here's the overall idea:

Japanese eggplant, yellow squash and zucchini, all sliced into thin circles
Roma tomatoes, cores removed and sliced into thin circle
Vidalia onion, halved and sliced into half moons
Garlic coarsely chopped
Combined on a pan with olive oil, then sprinkled with all the dried herbs (I didn't carefully measure the herbs, just poured a small "teaspoon sized" mound onto my palm), salt and pepper and tossed everything around with my hands
Roasted at 425 for about 35 minutes, turning once toward the end of roasting (my pan was a little crowded, but no matter)

I had it with bread and Asian savory baked tofu for VEW (minus the cayenne) because that's my spouse's favorite, and it went together pretty well. I made to the tofu while the ratatouille was baking. For lunch the next day, I combined some chickpeas with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and put some of the ratatouille on top. I think it would be good over pasta, rice or another grain too, to fill out the meal -- otherwise it is more of a light meal, being only veggies.

The Roasted Ratatouille from this book is amazing and I bet your variation is delicious, too. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Iselia wrote:

The Roasted Ratatouille from this book is amazing and I bet your variation is delicious, too. :)

I had some trouble with the Roasted Ratatouille recipe when I made it-- the eggplant wasn't cooked enough so I had to bake the veggies longer and when they came out the ratatouille was a bit dry.

Robin Robertson recently posted this variation on the roasted ratatouille recipe on her website. It adds pistou which I would think would be even more delicious and address the dryness issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:52 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I've started a new goal of cooking from each cookbook I own at least once a year, and yesterday I made the cream of mushroom soup from here. I really liked it. It's more vegetabley than other cream soups, and the paprika and dill give it a unique flavor.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

disneyfav4ever wrote:
I've started a new goal of cooking from each cookbook I own at least once a year, and yesterday I made the cream of mushroom soup from here. I really liked it. It's more vegetabley than other cream soups, and the paprika and dill give it a unique flavor.

Ooh, that sounds really good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the Chesapeake chickpea patties... I think that's what they're called. Anyway, they tasted really good! I knew yummy things were going to happen when I tasted it straight out of the food processor and wanted to eat it like that. They formed into patties well and were flippable, but they were kinda delicate. I really wish they had been more toothsome, but the flavors were awesome. Not sure how to make them firmer and more cake-like. I'm guessing maybe some flour, VWG or a coating of breadcrumbs on the outside would have done the trick.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Freetahtah wrote:
I made the Chesapeake chickpea patties... I think that's what they're called. Anyway, they tasted really good! I knew yummy things were going to happen when I tasted it straight out of the food processor and wanted to eat it like that. They formed into patties well and were flippable, but they were kinda delicate. I really wish they had been more toothsome, but the flavors were awesome. Not sure how to make them firmer and more cake-like. I'm guessing maybe some flour, VWG or a coating of breadcrumbs on the outside would have done the trick.

Maybe a flax egg?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:13 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Let me bust this thread out of hiding in a big way.

I cooked a lot from this book in June. I don't think I have repeated anything yet, but I have been thinking about, and craving, a number of these recipes a lot since. This says a lot since I cook as many new recipes as possible.

I feel like this book needs a bit more love, and I know posting about it will get me in the lovin' way.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGse_XygmDC/
Cajun Spiced Dirty Rice was a perfectly acceptable, comforting dinner. Like I said in the description: Cut up some stuff, open a can, dump it in a thing and bake. Mild tasting but in a good way.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGvE1P6AmKR/
Lemony Couscous and white bean pilaf was SO easy and SO fast and a lot yummier than I expected. On some greens this was filling and I had leftovers for at least one meal. Would make a great make-ahead lunch dish that can be served at room temp and doesn't need to go in the fridge.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BG5VRMNAmBF/
Better-than-takeout stirfry lives up to the name, especially for someone with super limited takeout options. Steaming the veg on top of the rice in my rice cooker was basically the best time saver ever, and the tofu was excellent. The sauce was simple but tasty and a drizzle of sriracha was the only finishing touch needed. This falls under the list of recipes that I have been craving and I think it will become a winter staple.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHN5y1nhQFS/
Tuscan vegetable tart was tasty and the white bean filling was especially good. I had some leftover that made a particularly good sandwich spread. Came together pretty fast and I think I just used some puff pastry from the freezer.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHQjeq8h89j/
Quinoa salad with apples and walnuts was yummy and fast - I stretched it by throwing it on salad greens and had lunch for at least one day afterwards. This would be a nice cooler weather salad as it is filling but apples and walnuts keep it seasonal tasting.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHTDqzNhZUQ/
One Pot Pasta Primavera was super easy, very tasty and pretty inexpensive to make. Mr Moon cleaned the pot.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHVkcc2BqNx/
Ginger sesame tofu with basil snow peas was a great stir fry and would have been great on rice, quinoa, or whatever you fancied. I just really wanted noodles that night.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHdY2x7BO31/
Tofu Scampi with spinach was SO GOOD. I added broccoli since I didn't have all the spinach called for, and it was a great addition. I crave this meal SO OFTEN. Something about the browned tofu, lemony sauce, green veg and chewy pasta was so pleasing to me. I could eat this all the time. Pretty sure I just crumbled up nori to make it "scampi" and it was pretty great.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJbkQC5BJoY/
Red lentil and chard soup was not overly exciting but a good, solid soup recipe that loaded us up with seasonal veg and it was filling to boot.

The unexpected hits of this book, though, have been a couple of the staple recipes. I whipped up the pizza dough one Sunday afternoon using my food processor. It took no time at all, and I had dough later that week in the fridge and another ball in the freezer that I just used the other day. They baked up puffy and perfect. I also used the seitan recipe, using the baked method, and this might be my new go-to. It made a neutral, but not bland, firm, but not too dense, loaf of seitan. I have made it twice now and it is so great to just set it and forget it. I have half this recipe in the fridge to use this week and the other half is tightly wrapped and sitting in the freezer for later. I still think the IDI simmered seitain is my favourite, but this recipe is great when I don't have time to watch a simmering pot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Moon wrote:
The unexpected hits of this book, though, have been a couple of the staple recipes. I whipped up the pizza dough one Sunday afternoon using my food processor. It took no time at all, and I had dough later that week in the fridge and another ball in the freezer that I just used the other day. They baked up puffy and perfect. I also used the seitan recipe, using the baked method, and this might be my new go-to. It made a neutral, but not bland, firm, but not too dense, loaf of seitan. I have made it twice now and it is so great to just set it and forget it. I have half this recipe in the fridge to use this week and the other half is tightly wrapped and sitting in the freezer for later. I still think the IDI simmered seitain is my favourite, but this recipe is great when I don't have time to watch a simmering pot.

That is great to know about the baked seitan. There was just a question on the IDI thread about whether the IDI seitan can be baked. If the two recipes are similar, maybe it can.

Of the recipes you mentioned, I've made the following: lemony couscous, Tuscan vegetable tart, one pot pasta primavera, ginger sesame tofu with basil snow peas (except I usually sub broccoli for the snow peas), tofu scampi with spinach and chard and red lentil soup. I think I loved the scampi best of these ones, but they were all good.

I usually add at least 1/2 tsp more cumin and 1/4 tsp more coriander to the chard and red lentil soup, and sometimes I make it into a stew.

I also like to add more of the same veggies to the primavera to make it extra vegetabley.

Oh, and you have to make the sweet potato spinach soup! So good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:57 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Well, now I need this book. Thanks, Moon! Ha. (Seriously though, thanks, everything sounds awesome. I want all the pasta.)

eta: Is that stir-fry from this book, or Vegan on the Cheap? Or did she put it in both?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:47 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Amy wrote:
Well, now I need this book. Thanks, Moon! Ha. (Seriously though, thanks, everything sounds awesome. I want all the pasta.)

eta: Is that stir-fry from this book, or Vegan on the Cheap? Or did she put it in both?

Oh, whoops, I guess that's from VotC! I was going between the two a fair bit and mentally logged that one incorrectly. Oh well, it'll still get made again!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:56 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Moon wrote:
Oh, whoops, I guess that's from VotC! I was going between the two a fair bit and mentally logged that one incorrectly. Oh well, it'll still get made again!

Thanks! I want to try that one, so I'll see if my library has VotC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5