| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Quick Fix Vegan
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:14 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the "Scampi" for the first time yesterday. It was soooo good, much better than I anticipated! I used super-firm, high protein tofu from Trader Joe's, and the constarch mix didn't stick to it. Instead it stuck to the skillet (I don't have nonstick cookware so I used stainless steel. Nonstick was not specified in the recipe and I didn't anticipate that this would be an issue). I ended up having to add extra olive oil to prevent burning and I also wonder if I had it on too high a heat level. My stove is kind of sucky and I have to get a good look at the burners and guess what the heat setting is based on the size of the flames.

I would appreciate tips from anyone who has made the "Scampi" recipe in the past (pretty sure someone raved about it here) as to how to get the cornstarch to stay on the tofu instead of the skillet.

Even so, this meal was absolutely delicious. And completely unexpected. I haven't cooked with dulse before and I wasn't sure I would care for it but my husband and I both loved it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LFL wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
with the indonesian scramble, i'm pretty sure we just crumble the tofu into small pieces in our hands. i plan on making it again later this week, i just need to pop into earth fare so i can pick up some baby bok choy.

Thanks! Which brand of hoisin sauce do you use?

i use 'earthfare' store brand and i love it. bought one kind at the grocery store once, and didn't like it as much.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LFL wrote:
I made the "Scampi" for the first time yesterday. ........Even so, this meal was absolutely delicious. And completely unexpected. I haven't cooked with dulse before and I wasn't sure I would care for it but my husband and I both loved it.

I am having trouble finding dulse. I've found the granules at Earth Fare but not the powder. Which form of dulse did you use?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:23 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

bookwormbethie wrote:
LFL wrote:
I made the "Scampi" for the first time yesterday. ........Even so, this meal was absolutely delicious. And completely unexpected. I haven't cooked with dulse before and I wasn't sure I would care for it but my husband and I both loved it.

I am having trouble finding dulse. I've found the granules at Earth Fare but not the powder. Which form of dulse did you use?

I didn't even notice that it called for powder! I just used granules and they worked fine. Organic dulse granules and the brand is Main Coast Sea Vegetables.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:24 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

bookwormbethie wrote:
LFL wrote:

i use 'earthfare' store brand and i love it. bought one kind at the grocery store once, and didn't like it as much.

We don't have earthfare stores here. I haven't found a brand of hoisin sauce I like as much as the kind I've had at restaurants.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LFL wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
LFL wrote:

I didn't even notice that it called for powder! I just used granules and they worked fine. Organic dulse granules and the brand is Main Coast Sea Vegetables.

well that is good to know that you used the granules and they were just fine. i was concerned it might be crunchy. i did just find a vegan recipe online for crab cakes that doesn't call for dulse so i might give that a whirl....

i've seen MCSV brand at Earth Fare. how did it taste in the dish? nicely fishy??

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LFL wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
LFL wrote:

We don't have earthfare stores here. I haven't found a brand of hoisin sauce I like as much as the kind I've had at restaurants.

Well I'm most grateful to my Earth Fare store. I ♥ it. We have no Whole Foods or anything else like that. Do you have a WF? Have you thought of asking the restaurant owner if you could buy some of their hoisin sauce "to go"?! You should do it!

The brand hubby bought at the grocery was Dynasty. It wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't awful either. If I didn't know how great the Earth Fare stuff tasted, I would probably like the Dynasty brand more ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

bookwormbethie wrote:
LFL wrote:

well that is good to know that you used the granules and they were just fine. i was concerned it might be crunchy. i did just find a vegan recipe online for crab cakes that doesn't call for dulse so i might give that a whirl....

i've seen MCSV brand at Earth Fare. how did it taste in the dish? nicely fishy??

I didn't find it crunchy. At least with Main Coast brand the dulse granules were pretty small. The flavor was more sea vegetable than fish, but it blended nicely with the garlic, dried basil and dried oregano. The end result was really quite good, withe the only problem being the cornstarch issue I mentioned above.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:04 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

bookwormbethie wrote:
Well I'm most grateful to my Earth Fare store. I ♥ it. We have no Whole Foods or anything else like that. Do you have a WF? Have you thought of asking the restaurant owner if you could buy some of their hoisin sauce "to go"?! You should do it!

The brand hubby bought at the grocery was Dynasty. It wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't awful either. If I didn't know how great the Earth Fare stuff tasted, I would probably like the Dynasty brand more ;)

Yes, we have Whole Foods and they have hoisin sauce but so far the brands I've tried there have been okay but not wow. The restaurant hoisin sauce I remember loving was something I tasted when I lived on the other side of the country, so going to the restaurant to purchase some is not an option. I'm going to try more grocery store brands but if none of them work out well enough, I may try an Asian market.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Well I definitely do not recommend the Dynasty brand hoisin sauce.

Regarding the cornstarch issue, I'd e-mail Robin. I've e-mailed her before with a couple of recipe questions and she is fairly prompt with writing back.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the deconstructed banh mi salad tonight, using tofu since I didn't have any seitan on hand. It was really, really good! Really, the stand out part was the tofu with the sauce, because I'm pretty sure that stuff would be good on a million other things and it really reminded me of the sticky brown sauce they use on the charcoal meats at Vietnamese places. It was a pretty light and healthy feeling meal, but if you've got a big appetite, this might really only make 2 or 3 servings for you, especially if you only use 8 oz tofu (see below). I might have used a bit more of the veggies on each plate, too, since I was kind of eyeballing what looked right. You could also always bulk it up by using more bread, because the recipe only calls for 1/2 a baguette, so... yeah.

The biggest change I made was to use double the tofu (and as a consequence, I doubled the oil, ginger, garlic, and soy sauce that you sprinkle over it) because I figured that I'd end up wasting the other half of the block if I only did 8 oz. I really should have quadrupled it, considering that my partner kept running back to the skillet to steal more little pieces of it until I made a frowny face because I had planned on eating that for lunches the next two days... Haha. He usually hates tofu and eats like a bird, so I was surprised!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:18 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

The Lemony Couscous and White Bean Pilaf and the Curried Cavatappi with Chickpeas and Chutney were delicious. An Indian-flavoured pasta dish is a great idea (we used fusilli instead of cavatappi which we couldn't find). The baked pears with pecans and Vietnamese Tofu Wraps were easy and tasted OK. There is a more involved version of the baked pears in 1000 Vegan Recipes.

My omnivore father owns this book and it is easily approachable by non-vegans.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:03 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I just recently bought this book. Here is what I made so far:

Black Bean Sun Burgers: Very good and easy to make. Didn't knock my socks off but they were good.

White Bean and Basil Soup: This was really good, my mother and mother-in-law went nuts over it.

Lemony Couscous and White Beans: This was just ok the first night I made it then the next day it was delicious!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:41 pm 
WELFARIST!

The patties for the Chesapeake Chickpea sandwiches are super good and flavorful! Although the recipe says it makes four, I made six patties.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:48 pm 
WELFARIST!

I also made the red lentil soup with chard and it was fine. Not great or my favorite soup but flavorful with a spicy kick from the cayenne and I'd make it again. Healthy and super easy to make.

For those having trouble finding dulse--I just sub kelp flakes granules and it tastes fine. I usually use a scant 1 tsp or heaping half teaspoon of kelp granules in the recipes where she calls for 1 tsp and that imparts a nice 'fish-like' taste that for me isn't too much.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:20 pm 
WELFARIST!

LFL wrote:
I would appreciate tips from anyone who has made the "Scampi" recipe in the past (pretty sure someone raved about it here) as to how to get the cornstarch to stay on the tofu instead of the skillet.

I press my tofu and cut into cubes and toss with the cornstarch and the cornstarch adheres fairly well just with that. I suspect that perhaps your oil in your skillet isn't hot enough when you throw your tofu in or maybe you aren't using quite enough oil to accommodate the amount of tofu used? I do get some of the cornstarch rubbing off into the skillet for sure, and expect that, but the cornstarch should adhere enough to impart a thin layer of it on the finished product and a nice crisp if it's cooked in oil hot enough. Just a tip, not sure if that's the problem for you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:27 pm 
WELFARIST!

seitanicverses wrote:
LFL wrote:

I press my tofu and cut into cubes and toss with the cornstarch and the cornstarch adheres fairly well just with that. I suspect that perhaps your oil in your skillet isn't hot enough when you throw your tofu in or maybe you aren't using quite enough oil to accommodate the amount of tofu used? I do get some of the cornstarch rubbing off into the skillet for sure, and expect that, but the cornstarch should adhere enough to impart a thin layer of it on the finished product and a nice crisp if it's cooked in oil hot enough. Just a tip, not sure if that's the problem for you.

Sorry, just to add that the pan might also be too crowded and the cornstarch can rub off the ingredient when that happens, too. Use your biggest skillet so the tofu cubes have room to move when you stir to saute the other sides of it or do in two batches if you have only a smallish skillet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:13 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

seitanicverses wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
LFL wrote:

Sorry, just to add that the pan might also be too crowded and the cornstarch can rub off the ingredient when that happens, too. Use your biggest skillet so the tofu cubes have room to move when you stir to saute the other sides of it or do in two batches if you have only a smallish skillet.

Thanks! My largest skillet is medium sized (and not non-stick either), so that could very well be the issue. I'm usually pretty good about following the author's directions as far as cooking temperatures.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:37 pm 
WELFARIST!

I made the jambalaya from this book and used brown basmati rice which hardly cooked after one hour in the oven. So I had to cook it for at least an extra hour. The flavor was good though but I'd soak the rice first or use white rice if and when I make it again.

I find the serving counts closer to six for most recipes in this book (rather than the four servings it states) for many things I've made like the jambalaya, the veg quinoa soup and for me, the chesapeake chickpea sammiches.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:21 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

seitanicverses wrote:
I made the jambalaya from this book and used brown basmati rice which hardly cooked after one hour in the oven. So I had to cook it for at least an extra hour. The flavor was good though but I'd soak the rice first or use white rice if and when I make it again.

That's weird. Baking in the oven is my favourite way to cook brown rice. I bring the liquid to a boil, pour it over the rice, put the lid on my casserole dish, and shove it into the oven. It's usually ready in about 45 minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:30 pm 
WELFARIST!

vgnwitch wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

That's weird. Baking in the oven is my favourite way to cook brown rice. I bring the liquid to a boil, pour it over the rice, put the lid on my casserole dish, and shove it into the oven. It's usually ready in about 45 minutes.

I thought it was weird too as I've made rice in the oven plenty of times and it always comes out perfect. A few things working against me though when I made it: My veg stock wasn't boiling when I added it (it was room temp) and I made it in my toaster oven and the pan was filled to absolute capacity (in fact, some of the water leaked out from overflow in the oven) but on the other hand, the rice didn't cook AT ALL in the first hour. Hard as a rock! This has never happened to me, even with these little details (about the water not being boiling--the recipe didn't specify boiling water though but maybe that's the assumption made when something calls for stock - and the pan filled to capacity) that I don't think should really count that much. I think if I tried again in a proper cassarole dish that could accommodate it without spillage and maybe baked in my big oven I might have had a different result. I'm willing to try that next time. But yeah, that's never happened to me before. Baked rice is da bomb and always perfect in my experience, too!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:15 am 
Baking In The Flavor

This was the first vegan cook book I got. I needed something that would give me quick and easy recipes because I was a new cook. Anything online would take me hours.
Here are some of the recipes I made.

Moroccan chickpeas with tomato and spinich: Very good and so easy. This is my go to meal when I need something fast.

Red lentil and chard soup: Excellent. Probably my favorite recipe from the book.

White bean and basil soup: It was alright. I'm not big on basil though.

Linguine with cannellini pesto: Too much garlic the first time, so I halved it. Tasted much better the second time.

Coconut curry chickpeas and cauliflower: It was bland when I first made it, but tasted much better the next day after being reheated.

Indian Shepherds Pie: Awesome. One of my favorite recipes. I can make it on a Sunday and eat it throughout the week.

Molasses blueberry cookies. Alright. Sometimes I can taste too much of the molasses.

Harvest cookies: Very good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:35 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i borrowed this book from the libarry and so far have made 2 things. the green chile migas and the spicy peanut hoisin noodles.

both were yummy and win due to how fast and easy they were to make
the hoisin one when i tasted the sauce by itself i thought it was too hoisiny but when i mixed everything together it was really good.

for the migas i used firm tofu because that's what i had and it turned out fine. i also used 2 whole wheat tortillas instead of 4 corn tortillas because again that is what i had. my husband thinks the corn tortillas would have been a bit less mushy and therefore a bit better but the taste was good! we served them with home fries. yum!
the only issue i had with the migas recipe was it was worded really weirdly. it kept talking about "reserved" stuff. usually, to me, when a recipe talks about reserved stuff you have already used some of it and the reserved stuff is what is left so i kept having to read and reread the recipe because i was confused.