| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: does anyone recommend a seasonal eating cookbook?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:16 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i have nava atlas' vegan soups and hearty stews for all seasons, and i'm getting great ideas from it, and already have 7 recipes marked. (it's great, i was expecting my dill and parsley to go bad before i use it, but nope, she has those in the summer section. yay!)

but maybe there are non soupy seasonal cookbooks that i can look in? i mean soups are great, but maybe not all the time.

this CSA + garden combo is killing me. (too many tomatoes and zucchinis and onions!!!) and i really would rather not have to go to the grocery store to get anything for a not-particularly-seasonal-recipe.

Post subject: Re: does anyone recommend a seasonal eating cookbook?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:19 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Do you have Salad Samurai? It's arranged seasonally too!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:50 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Atlas' Vegan Holiday Kitchen is grouped by holiday in seasonal/calendar order (except for the Jewish holidays which are grouped together in one chapter).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

I like Bryant Terry's The Inspired Vegan, Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's The Vegan Table and Christy Morgan's Blissful Bites.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:16 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

The Blooming Platter is arranged seasonally and Joy of Vegan Baking has an index by season, but I haven't had the occasion of using either of them much yet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:58 pm 

great suggestions! i don't have any of those. thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:02 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

It's more soup, but Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen is arranged seasonally. It's vegetarian, but vegan-friendly.

And, when you're at used bookstores, it's worth looking for a copy of Victory Garden Cookbook. It's not even vegetarian, but it has lots of really creative uses for produce. It's arranged by ingredient.. The book comes from a PBS gardening show, but it's out of print now. You can still look inside on Amazon, though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:15 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

There's a super wonderful seasonal (not-recent) book by Peter Berley (sp?) called Fresh Food Fast. It's actually a veg book (includes eggs and dairy), but many of the recipes are either vegan or easily veganized. I really love it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:49 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Afro-Vegan!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Afro-Vegan for sure, especially for summer produce (not arranged seasonally, but the recipe ingredients mostly stay within seasons)

Salad Samurai! That one is arranged seasonally.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:14 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Agree with above recommendations of Salad Samurai, Vegan Table (my FAVE!), and Afro-Vegan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:21 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Absolutely agree re. Salad Samurai. Being heavily fresh produce based, I find the seasonal order really useful. Also, everything I've made has been delicious (the green peppercorn dressing alone has changed my life!). One that's seasonal but vegetarian, not vegan is The French Market Cookbook. There are a lot of vegan recipes, and most are easily veganised. I love French food and use this book a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:44 pm 

ok. i ordered 7 cookbooks, and others i have on the wishlist. :-) (mr. carrot called it a cookbookpocalypse. :-p i managed to get them all for $50. not shabby at all!)

thanks guys! you never disappoint. [|}

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:46 pm 

ameyfm wrote:
There's a super wonderful seasonal (not-recent) book by Peter Berley (sp?) called Fresh Food Fast. It's actually a veg book (includes eggs and dairy), but many of the recipes are either vegan or easily veganized. I really love it.

Good to know that you love Fresh Food Fast. I've been waiting forever for it to be issued in an ebook edition. If it isn't I might have to knuckle down and get it in paperback.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:53 pm 

supercarrot wrote:
ok. i ordered 7 cookbooks, and others i have on the wishlist. :-) (mr. carrot called it a cookbookpocalypse. :-p i managed to get them all for $50. not shabby at all!)

thanks guys! you never disappoint. [|}

LOL! Which books did you purchase?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:22 pm 

blooming platter, vegan table, salad samurai, inspired vegan...
and i also decided to take a chance on Vegan Rustic Cooking: Through the Seasons, Local Bounty: Vegan Seasonal Recipes, Vegetarian Four Seasons

the only one i didn't get from amazon marketplace was salad samurai (and for some reason it's saying it'll take 2 weeks to ship) i'm considering also getting fresh food fast, since it's $5 on the marketplace. (the other books aren't affordable yet.) although, maybe i won't, since i'll have these 7 to entertain me for a while. on the wishlist it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:11 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I have Local Bounty and really love it!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:57 pm 

supercarrot wrote:
and i also decided to take a chance on Vegan Rustic Cooking: Through the Seasons, Local Bounty: Vegan Seasonal Recipes, Vegetarian Four Seasons

Ahhh, I have cookbook envy! Also, I had never heard of Local Bounty before, but it looks good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:54 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

supercarrot wrote:

the only one i didn't get from amazon marketplace was salad samurai (and for some reason it's saying it'll take 2 weeks to ship) i'm considering also getting fresh food fast, since it's $5 on the marketplace. (the other books aren't affordable yet.) although, maybe i won't, since i'll have these 7 to entertain me for a while. on the wishlist it goes.

I've seen Fresh Food Fast at tonnes of used bookstores!

Another dark horse is Bryanna Clark Grogan's The Almost No Fat Holiday Cookbook. Since the holidays are well, held on a certain date, it's pretty much a seasonal cookbook. And don't let the no fat stuff deter you--the recipes are solid!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:12 pm 

Supercarrot, have you received the books yet? If so, what do you think of them?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:39 pm 

yes i have! i'll talk about the three i took a chance on first. in this process, i've learned that i really prefer the books that mix the appetizers and desserts etc in with the main dishes and the only organization to the book is season.

vegan rustic cooking: doesn't seem to be my thing. i didn't realise it was a british book before buying it, and although the measurements have american equivalents, some of the ingredients and terminology are confusing (and not available here. tempeh rasher? and i'd much rather have a recipe for chapattis, since i have no idea if i can easily get them in a store here. seems pretty non-rustic if you ask me. using "bake" as a name of a suggested item to put the sauce recipe on? i thought it meant baked potato, but then that came up later in the book. also, there's a measurement of nuts in a couple of recipes that's called "small packet" what? that's irresponsible and doesn't translate well to someone who doesn't buy "small packets" of nuts, and who knows if the packets here are the same size of packets there.) another peeve is that although there is plenty of space on these pages, they'll actually make you go to a different section of the book for an essential component or method. (just print it again!! i understand in a seasonal book you wouldn't want to list it as an alternative on the other recipe, but to make people flip back and forth when there's plenty of space to reprint it, that's just rude.) the recipes are also just a little to plain for me. (but i do admit i stopped reading halfway through. i was getting too frustrated, and better books came around.)

vegetarian four seasons: yep. it's vegetarian all right. but i do like that it's organized fully by season. the recipes are also mostly quite fancy. this is a book i might look at for inspiration prior to a dinner party (that i would likely never have) but because of the prevalence of dairy, it wouldn't likely be my first book to look in. (however, if i have some FYH to use up. maybe i would check it out.)

local bounty: just the right spot between easy and fancy. it uses lots of interesting ingredients that i would never have thought to put together (but i really like that there aren't too many ingredients in each different recipe. they leave it simple enough.) also organizes fully via seasons. very helpful. i will definitely focus on working through this book. so far the meals i've made from this book have been quite tasty. (but i've only made 2, so...)

inspired vegan: also organized fully by seasons. somewhere between every day and fancy. i really like the asian, african and soul food influence. many of the recipes have a lot of ingredients, so might be too complicated for those tired days. all three meals i've made have been quite tasty.

blooming platter: organized by type of dish and then seasons within type of dish. eh. this is also rather fancy, but doable. i have quite a few of the soups earmarked to make soon. the farmstand muffins were yummy. (that's all i made from this book if memory serves me correctly.)

vegan table: quite fancy. and it is laid out via menus and then seasons under the menus (which makes sense, since the topic is on entertaining.) i have a few things earmarked and have only made it through half of the book yet, since i only got it a few days ago.

salad samurai: just got it today, so haven't cracked it open other than to see that it is fully organized via seasons and some recipes look quite involved.

will report back. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:54 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Like you, I really don't like it when a cookbook - from any country - asks for "a packet" of something. Even within one's own country size often varies, and when it's from another country, it becomes guesswork.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:32 pm 

Thanks so much for the lowdown on these, Supercarrot. Is it fair to say that so far Local Bounty is your favorite?

Also, if you ended up getting Fresh Food Fast, I would love to hear your thoughts on that one.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:29 pm 

it's still super early, but yes, between local bounty and inspired vegan (so-far). on lazy days, i would more than likely look in local bounty first, but of course deferring to recipes that wouldn't make me go to the store (while i have this overwhelming amount of produce, that is) :-)
maybe i'll take a full year to decide on a favorite.

i didn't order fresh food fast, but i did put it on my wishlist. (the title does sound like it's right up my alley, though)