| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookie Connoisseur
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:30 pm 
Inflexitarian

Picked this up at one of the Border's closings. As everyone said, it's beautiful! I love that the very first chapter is cookies based on drinks rather than something more traditional.

So far I've only made the white russian cookies, but they were fabulous. Very pretty too (and easy).

Which chocolate chip cookie recipe should I try first?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:59 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I've fallen head over heels for the biscotti.

Chocolate Mocha Nut Biscotti:

Plain with chocolate ganache (obviously unset at the time this was taken):

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:48 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I made my first recipe from this book a couple of days ago - the Chewy and Crispy Bakery-Style Chocolate Chip Cookies. They were AMAZING! And huge. I made a half batch and made 6 large cookies. They lived up to the description. I might go and have another one.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:54 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I just made biscotti too! In my case chocolate chip. They were tasty! Next I'll probably make the crispy PB cookies, before the husband riots.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:36 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I can't believe I don't have this book yet! I loved those chocolate mint thingamajigs.
wave runner wrote:
I haven't had the dough to buy this book yet, but the snickerdoodz on the blog are phenomenal!

Har har har!

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:40 pm 
Inflexitarian

I made the snickerdoodles for a dinner party the other night. Super yum. Definitely underbake them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:25 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Just want to say, I've since made the crispy peanut butter cookies (twice) and the soft chocolate chip cookies, and both have turned out wonderfully. I love that the promised textures really ARE how the cookies turn out, and they STAY that way even after a few days. I've never had another cookbook that offered up multiple recipes for "classics" based on the desired texture, and it's a fantastic idea. This is rapidly becoming my favorite vegan baking book...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:45 am 
ugh

I got this for a very belated birthday present. It's beautiful, and everything looks so tasty! Looks like everyone I know will be getting cookies for their holiday gifts, and I can look forward to gaining a few so I can practice making them all first. ;)

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:53 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Has anyone made the peanut butter cups? I made them yesterday evening, and the chocolate still hadn't firmed up by this morning. I stuck them in the fridge so hopefully they'll be ok by the time i get home from work today.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:49 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

doncherryfan wrote:
Has anyone made the peanut butter cups? I made them yesterday evening, and the chocolate still hadn't firmed up by this morning. I stuck them in the fridge so hopefully they'll be ok by the time i get home from work today.

I made these a second time and they still didn't firm after leaving overnight at room temperature. I popped them in the fridge for few hours after this and they were fine. Maybe it's just too hot out right now (~80F) for them to firm at room temperature?

Also, I should mention they are completely delicious and amazing. I used dark chocolate the second time and wow. People don't believe me when I say these are so easy to make.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:30 pm 
ugh

The autumn clouds (pumpkin cookies) are fantastic! My little sister insisted on eating two of them even though she was so full that her stomach hurt.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:37 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Has anyone made the candy cane cookies? or the kourabiedes? they're on my list of ones to make for Christmas gift baskets.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:26 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

doncherryfan wrote:
doncherryfan wrote:

I made these a second time and they still didn't firm after leaving overnight at room temperature. I popped them in the fridge for few hours after this and they were fine. Maybe it's just too hot out right now (~80F) for them to firm at room temperature?

Also, I should mention they are completely delicious and amazing. I used dark chocolate the second time and wow. People don't believe me when I say these are so easy to make.

Yeah, if the chocolate isn't firming up at room temperature after a few hours, popping them in the fridge or freezer should do the trick!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:12 am 
Tofu Pup

mel b wrote:
Has anyone made the candy cane cookies? or the kourabiedes? they're on my list of ones to make for Christmas gift baskets.

I've made the Candy Cane cookies, and they were delicious! I've been meaning to make them again, since that was last January. I gave one to the little girl I take care of, and she loved them and said they were "spicy".

I've also made the Soft Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies a few times, which are also delicious, and sometimes requested by my mom. The Root Beer Float cookies are some of the best cookies I have ever made, and my boyfriend's favourite! The texture of the cookie is perfect, I definitely recommend them. The other cookies I've tried are the Gooey Butterscotch Cookies, which were good and very sweet, as well as the No-Bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies, which were also good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:19 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I tried a bunch of recipes from this book in the last week for holiday baking;

Oatmeal Raisin - Really good basic recipe.

Lemon's Dark Chocolate Truffle Cookie - These are so good, the almond extract and orange juice give them such a deep flavor. And they are so rich and chocolately.

Apple Cider Cookies - Really good, even without the glaze, which I also made, but I didn't dip them all in it yet since I have a lot stacked on top of each other in tins right now and didn't want them to get too messy.

Coconut Cookies - Really good too, lots of coconut flavor.

Soft-Baked Chocolate Chip Cookies - Like the oatmeal raisin ones, it's a very good basic recipe. I like that it's sweetened with molasses and maple syrup instead of just all sugar. And uses applesauce instead of a ton of oil. I did need to add an extra 1/4 cup of flour though, the first tray I made just got way too thin when they baked without it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:39 pm 

Wow, I am surprised that y'all love this book so much because I hate it! I've made probably 6 recipes from it and had to adjust every single one because she puts in ridiculously small amounts of flavory items (half a teaspoon of molasses?! how do you even measure that?).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:25 pm 

Dave the Cat wrote:
Wow, I am surprised that y'all love this book so much because I hate it! I've made probably 6 recipes from it and had to adjust every single one because she puts in ridiculously small amounts of flavory items (half a teaspoon of molasses?! how do you even measure that?).

My set of measuring spoons includes a 1/2 teaspoon measure...

...troll?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:06 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

teddyplanet wrote:
Dave the Cat wrote:

My set of measuring spoons includes a 1/2 teaspoon measure...

...troll?

I have 1/8 1/4 and 1/2 tsp on my measuring spoons.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:11 pm 
ugh

Two more successes: chocolate peppermint bars & caramel apple bars! I guess I put the right amount of "flavory items" in.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:07 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

The kindle version of this cookbook is now on sale for 99 cents at Amazon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:55 pm 
Nailed to the V

which i got :)
but i want to get the hard copy + candyland mag too

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:45 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I received this as an Xmas gift and finally made my first recipe - the lemon cornmeal cookies. I loved them! The texture was terrific (I love cornmeal in anything). Very similar taste/texture to the citrus cornmeal cookies from Flour bakery in Boston from my pregan days.