| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Out-of-Copyright and Historical Cookbooks
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:22 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I, on a whim, googled "earliest vegan cookery book" and found a few interesting things that I thought I would share with you. The word vegan wasn't coined until 1944 and vegetarian wasn't coined until 1847, so it's not an easily googlable term. Cookery books as they currently stand are a relatively new invention, and older surviving books assume that you're not a complete beginner and can tell when things are done by eye, for example. Still, there are a few interesting things about.

Almond milk was commonplace milk in fancypants kitchens until refrigeration became widespread, and was used on fast days. An early recipe appears in Le Viandier. Home made almond milk tends to be cheaper than shop-bought almond milk, and I've found that using scalding water produces a richer flavour.

The hygeian home cook-book by R. T. Trall (1874) is the earliest deliberately vegan book that seems to have been identified. The "preserving" section uses beeswax, but none of the food contains anything animal. It's full of ads for Graham products, as Graham (of the crackers fame) advocated vegetarianism (with milk and eggs permitted occasionally) as a means to prevent blindness by eliminating stroganoff by quelling sexual urges.

Acetaria: A Discourse of Sallets by John Evelyn (1699) is a fine work by a "friend and contemporary of Samuel Pepys", the diarist. This is basically "a list of all the plants I like and how to eat them" in a rambling, conversational manner. It's a good read with interesting recipes, but you have to remember that the writer's English is a good three hundred years younger than your own English and so rules of style and spelling have changed. Might be of less interest to non-Europeans as hedgerow plants are different and a lot of ingredients mentioned are ones that only grow wild nowadays. Evelyn advocated removing meat from the diet, but apparently did not object to the odd bit of beef stock, so I would substitute that with a mushroom stock with a dash of a hearty red wine.

Liber Cure Cocorum from around 1430 is not really vegetarian in the slightest, but has a few nice looking deserts and soups as well as a recipe for curdled almond butter. It contains several recipes that specify almond milk instead of cow's milk. It's also written in rhyming couplets!

Anyway, historical cookery books are a peculiar interest of mine. If anyone happens to know of any others, or is interested in me mining for more, please post!

Post subject: Re: Out-of-Copyright and Historical Cookbooks
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:16 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Fascinating stuff! I love a good old cookbook too. If I ever write one it will have to be in rhyming couplets. Thanks for sharing!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:11 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I did a history minor in university and remember writing a paper on, I believe it was this book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_M%C3%A9nagier_de_Paris

(Le Menagier de Paris)*

It was a guide for medieval housewives, which I thought was very cool having a life long interest in cooking and history.

It started off with the tale of Walter and Griselda and then there was a cookbook section with ancient recipes. According to the Wiki link, it's from 1393 which sounds about the period and the description sounds like what I remember so I'm pretty sure that was the book I studied. I remember it had a recipe for quince something? Anyway, definitely not all vegan but I feel like it had a grainy porridge/gruel type deal too in there among other recipes.

Not vegetarian in the slightest but an accidentally vegan recipe or two (if I remember correctly) and fascinating as a historical document anyhoo.

*Yes, this is the book I studied. I knew it as The Goodman of Paris

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:14 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

"Palatable Food Without Condiments."

They sure knew how to sell cookbooks back in the day.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:43 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

A Modest Proposal. http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/ ... es=3274300

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ha!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:15 pm 
Saggy Butt

mollyjade wrote:

I love this one! It solves so many of society's problems!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:14 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Snap, Desdemona!! You are not going to get that tender irish babby for your breakfast!

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]