| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Whole Bowls by Allison Day
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:10 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Not sure how many people have seen this gorgeous cookbook, but it definitely deserves a shout-out:

Whole Bowls by Allison Day (she blogs at Yummy Beet)

The cookbook is gluten-free and vegetarian but lots of vegan & vegan-friendly. Yogurt and mayo are easy to sub although some of the desserts include cream (not many).

Lots of recipes and sub-recipes here with gorgeous photos.

I shared my review today along with the recipe for Three Bean and Asparagus Salad with Coconut-Lime Dressing.

And a chance to win a copy of the book (US/Canada)

Enjoy!

https://tastespace.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... -giveaway/

Post subject: Re: Whole Bowls by Allison Day
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:01 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Giveaway entered! Looks like a pretty book.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:56 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I won this giveaway! Yay!

Quickie review. This book is so pretty. Like, wow. The author's writing style is a bit, um, flowery? I understand wanting to make the food sound as pretty written out as the images show, but I have trouble just sitting down and reading this one because there's descriptions of food that include things like "luscious tendrils" that make me squicked out.

That said, I've made two recipes that have both been huge wins. The Danish Grod with cardamom berries is super filling, I ate breakfast at 6 am that day and wasn't even close to hungry at 1 pm which is unheard of for me. Cardamom berries are a really fun change from usual fruit topping.

Tonight for dinner we had the pasta with sour beets, ricotta and poppy seeds. I made tofu ricotta but otherwise followed the recipe. Mr Moon loves beets, I'm only meh on them, so I wasn't anticipating much. Despite Mr Moon's love of beets I thought this would be too strange for him. I was totally wrong and he LOVED it and even though I found this quite filling he managed to eat every last noodle in the pot. I was really surprised at how good this was and, despite it sounding strange, how cohesive the whole thing was. Plus it cooked up really fast since I used my food processor to shred the beets.

The pear muesli is in the fridge now for me to have for breakfast the rest of the week. Haven't tasted it yet though.

Although this book leans a bit heavily on the healthy/gluten free/whole foods thing that I'm not typically attracted to (even OSG swings a bit on the too healthy side for me) this book seems pretty accessible but also inspiring with a lot of flavour combos and interesting ingredients that aren't as common. Tropical rice pudding made with black rice, millet couscous, etc. Her non vegan ingredients are mostly easy to swap or leave off, I think, although my wheels are turning about how to replace eggs in a couple.(eggs used as toppings and garnishes, not vital recipe components.)

Even her mac and cheese bowl is vegan, and that one might hit my weekly menu plan sooner than later.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:24 pm 
Naked Under Apron

This book sounds intriguing! Have you made anything more out of it, Moon?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:37 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Just the pear muesli I mentioned, but it was a perfectly nice muesli recipe. I've been liking breakfast bowl meals because I can go ahead and prep on a Sunday evening and then have breakfast for the rest of the week in most cases. I couldn't get myself in gear enough to plan in a breakfast bowl for this week but I'm hoping to get back in the groove as its so convenient and her bowls are so pretty.

Despite not having any meals from this book planned for this week I did pull it out this evening, just to flick through. Just looking at the pictures really inspires me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:50 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Had another huge win from this book tonight. Greek mushroom stifado with horseradish mashed potatoes. They went together so perfectly, and I don't think I want to eat masked potatoes without horseradish ever again.
The spices in the stew didn't appeal to me (cinnamon in savoury dishes can be meh) but the end result was delicious.

This was also super easy to make. Not really weeknight friendly because the stifado needs a fair bit of stovetop time but there really isn't much in the way of moving parts and would be a great make-ahead meal to have a couple of days later.

I've got two more bowls from this book on the docket this week (maybe three) despite not planning on focusing on the book this month. I expect to continue to be impressed.

https://instagram.com/p/BJ87HjehQbM/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:43 am 
Naked Under Apron

Moon wrote:
Had another huge win from this book tonight. Greek mushroom stifado with horseradish mashed potatoes. They went together so perfectly, and I don't think I want to eat masked potatoes without horseradish ever again.
The spices in the stew didn't appeal to me (cinnamon in savoury dishes can be meh) but the end result was delicious.

This was also super easy to make. Not really weeknight friendly because the stifado needs a fair bit of stovetop time but there really isn't much in the way of moving parts and would be a great make-ahead meal to have a couple of days later.

I've got two more bowls from this book on the docket this week (maybe three) despite not planning on focusing on the book this month. I expect to continue to be impressed.

https://instagram.com/p/BJ87HjehQbM/

That sounds (and looks) yummy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:01 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Last week we had the Bohemian Bowl with chili roasted squash, broccoli, chickpeas and lemony tahini dressing. A pretty basic bowl recipe and maybe not astounding but tasty and super healthy. I felt the tahini dressing had a bit more ingredients than totally necessary but Mr Moon really loved it so what do I know. Had these on wild/brown rice blend. Super healthy feeling and my fiber needs were more than met for days.

Friday night I made the Banquet Bowls with red lentil dal, rice and cauliflower pilaf and raita. Used coconut milk kefir instead of yogurt and that was the only swap I needed. This was a bit labour intensive and I thought the rice was a huge fail and first as I had a lot of pot stickage and some black stuff on the bottom. This was probably more of a rice age issue combined with handler error, but I saved the rice and the flavours were so nice. She definitely relies on your pre-made curry powder of choice so use something you know you like. The dal was probably not super authentic but man, it tasted great. I had these leftovers for breakfast two days in a row and each time wasn't hungry until well into the afternoon. https://www.instagram.com/p/BKKC4aAhlMn/

Secret hidden perk of this book is that things seem to make the amount of portions she recommends. I hate making a recipe that serves four only to find no, no it does not. Even with Mr Moon's large portions we've gotten the listed amount of servings on everything, the only exception was the beet pasta.

Also I am thinking about/craving that beet pasta pretty regularly. That is saying A LOT. I do not love beets and do not re-make recipes with any regularity but I want that meal again so badly. The Banquet Bowl's dal is already something I want more of - despite eating it Friday night, Saturday morning and Sunday morning. I've been thinking about it all day today.