| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help! Banana Nut Waffles from Veganomicon
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:01 pm 
Tofu Pup

I tried the banana nut waffle recipe from Veganomicon this weekend and the batter stuck like crazy to my waffle iron. Basically when I opened my Villaware Belgian Waffler the waffle separated - top stuck the top of the waffle iron and bottom stuck to the bottom of the waffle iron. Two other vegan waffle recipes I have tried did the same thing. I used non-stick cooking spray the first time and then brushed canola oil on the waffle iron the second time to see if there would be a better result. The waffle stuck in both cases.

I was wondering if the recipe is meant to go in another type of waffle maker (non-belgian style or a shallower type waffle iron).

The only saving grace was the fact that the remaining batter made a decent pancake!

Isa - do you or anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Monique

Post subject: Re: Help! Banana Nut Waffles from Veganomicon
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:07 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

We love these waffles and I've made them several times. Are you sure the waffles were cooked all the way through before you opened the waffle iron? Did you wait until there was very little steam coming out from the waffle maker? Most waffles take between 5 and 7 minutes in mine and I have a Black and Decker (I think that's the brand) belgian style waffle maker.

I also only coated my waffle maker with canola oil for the first use, per my maker's instructions. Check your instructions for your unit as non-stick cooking spray can really mess with non-stick cooking surfaces. Most recipes tell you to coat the waffle maker before each use, but I follow the manufacturer recommendations on this, not the recipe.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:57 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I use oil before each waffle, but since you did that, it sounds like your waffle wasn't cooked all the way. I find that with vegan waffles, I have to cook them longer than the waffle iron thinks I should.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:57 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I use oil before each waffle, but since you did that, it sounds like your waffle wasn't cooked all the way. I find that with vegan waffles, I have to cook them longer than the waffle iron thinks I should.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

This used to happen to me every time I tried to make waffles, but then the PPK said to stop opening the waffle maker and wait until the steam pretty much stops, which can be up to five minutes- way longer than I used to wait. I completely ignore what the light on the waffle maker is telling me. I also spray with oil between each waffle. Now my waffles are always delightful.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yes to waiting until the steam stops (and then wait a little longer to be safe). I have yet to burn a waffle.
Yes to lots of spray in between each new waffle.

It took me about 4 years to figure out the perfect waffles with my waffle maker. I had it set to the highest setting, so the same thing was always happening to me. I turned it down to about the middle, let the waffle sit until there is no steam left and now I get perfect waffles!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:29 am 
Tofu Pup

Thanks for all the feedback. I will try reducing the heat by one level and leaving them in until the steam stops next time. I will also evaluate if the non-stick spray has messed up my coating on the waffle iron and perhaps purchase a new one soon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This is interesting. I have yet to ever make a successful vegan waffle. I'm going to try the seemingly-overcooking-them route.