| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pumpkin Pie Brownies-Vegan Cookies Take Over Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:50 am 
Tofu Pup

Has anyone made the "pumpkin pie brownie" recipe from Vegan Cookies Take Over Your Cookie Jar? I made them for a work party yesterday and they were a complete flop. I couldn't believe it. Maybe it was something I used? I followed the recipe exactly except I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Flour with a little xantham gum as directed on the bag of flour. I also used coconut milk as the non-dairy milk. After they cooled, I left them in the fridge and served the cool. Maybe that is where I made my mistake? They turned out fudgey instead of like cake-like brownies (I cooked them for 30 min. as directed).

Any feedback would be great, thx! :)

Post subject: Re: Pumpkin Pie Brownies-Vegan Cookies Take Over Your Cookie
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:58 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

subbing gluten free flour for regular flour does not always work. it's tricky business, so I'm guessing that was your major problem. Also coconut milk has a lot more fat than almond, soy or rice milk, so that could have played a part, too. Fudgy brownies are kind of the gold standard though, so maybe it was a good thing? I usually leave these in the fridge and they are fine. If you're not gluten free yourself, I'd suggest making them as per the recipe and seeing how they should be before trying any subs. If you are gluten free, I might suggest finding a gluten free brownie recipe and using that as the base and then making the topping from the recipe.

Post subject: Re: Pumpkin Pie Brownies-Vegan Cookies Take Over Your Cookie
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:47 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Fudgy brownies don't sound like a complete flop to me! But yeah, you did not follow the recipe exactly, you changed a lot of things, which is fine! But you can't expect exact results that way. I always add extra flour when subbing GF mixes. Maybe a T or two. But I still can't say that it would have worked perfectly.