| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Yellow Rose Greatest Hits
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:51 am 
Saggy Butt

Which one of these is better, the original or the new one?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:36 am 
Nailed to the V

Okay I've made so far

Nuggets (my roommates think they are so rubbery. which is funny because hello chicken is rubbery). It didn't help that i forgot to coat them with 2 tbsp flour, just the cornmeal.

Butternut Squash Lasagna, Baked Macaroni and Cheese (I don't think i'll make this one with Dayiya, I think one needs follow your heart cheese that melts more evenly (I'm also as it occurs to me, not the biggest fan of baked mac and cheese lol)

Sloppy Joannas, Aloha Bread and Parmsean (which tastes exactly like the real thing. Am in love with it)

I have to say everything is decent.

For christmas there's a chance i'll be making Dressing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:55 pm 
Tofu Pup

Has anyone tried the Seitan roast?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:43 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I have a food-sciencey question about the brownie recipe in this book. The first time I made it, it came out perfectly, with the first flaky top I'd ever managed to produce as a vegan baker. The second time, I doubled the recipe, and while they were really delicious, the top just looked like cake, more or less. The third time I thought doubling had been my mistake and went back to making a single recipe - but I didn't add the extra oil at the end, as it didn't look like I needed it; again, super-delicious but non-flaky brownies. Today, I followed the recipe exactly as written AND added the oil - yummy brownies, but no flaky top.

The only other thing I can think of is that today when the recipe called for Earth Balance or coconut oil, I used coconut oil, and I don't remember which one I used that first time when they were so perfect.

I know in omni brownies, that flaky texture comes from beating egg whites with sugar (it forms a meringue), but I'm not sure what reaction I should be looking for in vegan brownies. Does anyone know? I'd be really curious to hear about any successes or - well, not failures, certainly, but slightly less successful successes anyone has had with this recipe.