| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Vegan Scoop
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:31 pm 
Nailed to the V

I got this book for Christmas and just made my first successful batch of vegan ice cream! I had a bad experience with a cashew-based recipe from another book, and was afraid to try again.

I made the chocolate recipe, and I am SO happy with it! It reminds me of Breyer's ice cream - we used to get chocolate chocolate chip all the time when I was growing up. I didn't add the choc chips to this batch, but I definitely will next time. It's super creamy and the flavor is very rich!

I am curious if anyone has tried any of the more adventurous flavors from this book.

Post subject: Re: The Vegan Scoop
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:47 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

nope, but it's on my list of books to get, especially now that i have an ice cream maker! i've seen 2 or 3 other vegan ice cream books on Amazon, but this one seems the most promising - i was able to try Wheeler's at a craft fair a few years ago (some interesting flavor like cucumber vanilla) and remember it being pretty good.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:02 pm 
Nailed to the V

That's a creative ice cream flavor!

Before this book, I had just been making slushies in my ice cream maker. You just put any juice (or other drinks) you want in it and it makes a slushie. But the ice cream is much better!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:26 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've made the Blueberry (pretty good), Green Tea (liked it), Nutmeg (Liked it), Fresh Mint Lime (it was okay, too much peppermint), Peanut Butter and Jelly (liked it), Strawberry (ok), and Vanilla Cardamom (good). I may have made others but forgot.

I want to try the richer, creamer ones but always feel guilty.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thanks for the info! Hopefully I'll be brave enough soon to try one of them. I think the pb&j might be fun.

I had shared the ice cream with my mom and the next time I saw her, she was still talking about it. She said that she was telling the rest of the family how creamy it was. :) Maybe I'll convert them!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:11 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I saw this book at Barnes & Noble yesterday. Flipping through it it seems like the majority of the recipes were exactly the same save for the final ingredient added before freezing. I mean literally, except for the extract, berry, cuke, whatever exactly the same rest of the ingredients and preparation instructions. I did notice some recipes called for margarine and were slightly different, but I'm finding it a bit difficult to justify the purchase when there seems to only be a few "distinct" recipes which I can probably find online. Did I just stumble upon a whole slew of the same recipe by chance or does this seem pretty accurate throughout the book? Is it worth it for the "other", non conformist recipes?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:52 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i got the book at a signing, and he had some chocolate covered vanilla pops to taste, and they were very much like ice milk. (i felt weird not buying the book after tasting the ice cream, so i did, i just never made any of the recipes. i hope he was just having an off day, and not making it with his own equipment or preferred ingredients or whatever. i was just disappointed.)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:05 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

The ice cream from this book is very ice-milk tasting, at least the vanilla recipe that I tried. The chocolate is a better with all those chocolate chips. I think the base recipe is lacking in fat.