| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Voluptuous Vegan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:27 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I got this for Christmas but haven't tried anything from it yet. There are just so many recipes that look good, that I don't know where to start. Has anyone else tried anything from this?

Post subject: Re: Voluptuous Vegan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:34 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I haven't tried too much yet, but I really like the Borscht with dill tofu sour cream, and the latkes (good served with applesauce and the same sour cream) are great too. Can't remember if I've made anything else yet, but there's a whole bunch of stuff I want to try.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:27 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I've made quite a lot. If I've blogged it you can see it here http://cookingtheveganbooks.com/categor ... ous-vegan/ but I haven't blogged it all. I think my favourite is the chilli and cornbiscuit with guacasalsa, or the curried chicpkea tart.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:43 am 
WELFARIST!

I love this book too. I loved the Tempeh Creole (I usually make the whole dinners, although I've just done the tempeh part without the creole sauce, even and had it over rice for a quicker meal) but the whole meal with the sauce, rice, corn relish and all is yum.

I made the tomato sauce penne with the shittake mushrooms and the sort of mushroom nuggets to go along with and that was a great meal too but I'd leave out the mushroom nuggets next time (mushroom overkill on the plate as the tomato has the dried shittake component already in the pasta and my guests didn't really eat the separate mushroom nuggets and they were my least fave part of the meal anyhoo). But do make the tomato pasta part with the shittake mushrooms definitely. My sister went nuts especially over the dried shittake mushrooms. They're only a couple of ingredients and in the oven and they add a great touch to an otherwise plain but yummiful basic tomato sauce. Yeah, that was great meal.

I've made the lima bean stew with polenta and chile sauce and guacasalsa--yum!!!

I made the moussaka most recently and I really loved it. Flavorful, delicious. Took a long time to make, a few hours but worth it. I made all the accompaniements (the sauteed chard with olives was great with it). A fabulous way to use up some seitan and for someone like me who isn't mad about seitan because it's hidden in a bunch of other flavorful ingredients.

Several of the desserts. The only dessert I'm wasn't personally crazy about was the apple cake in that book (I found it too dry and streusal-dry-crumbly crumby at the top) but my sister absolutely loved it. And as a recipe, it came out well, just my personal taste there, methinks.

This is a great book and I often use it for entertaining or for weekend meals where I'd like a comprehensive set of dishes that go well together because I personally kind of suck at picking and choosing full course type meal menus myself so it's especially good for those occasions.

So many other things I want to try from this book too...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:05 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

All the soups I have tried were great, offhand I can only remember the split pea.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:04 pm 
Saggy Butt

This is one of my favorite cookbooks! It took me a while to appreciate it but now I love it. I've probably made 80% of the recipes and haven't ever had a total dud. I do like to do the full meal plans, because I stink at choosing which dishes go together.

I especially like the Mushroom Filo Triangles with Delicata-Porcini Sauce, Seitan Pot Pie with bechamel (but I don't like the crust recipe), Seitan Bourguignonne, Chickpea Crepes (there's a few different seasonal recipes for fillings, they're both great), Caramelized Brussels with Pecans, African Groundnut Stew, Curried Chickpea Tart (very versatile base), Latkes and Rosy Applesauce, Moussaka, Millet-Sunflower Croquettes, Gingerbread and Blood Orange Sauce, and Peanut Butter Mousse Cake.

I also use the different sour cream and aioli recipes a lot independent of the accompanying recipes.

The one thing I remember totally failing on me was the kantens. Probably my fault, though! I'm terrible with agar.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:19 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

ooh the PAELLA. It has many components but is just so, so good when it all comes together. (I have gone lazy a couple times and not made the tomatoes for the garnish, and also in winter I've used canned tomatoes for the sauce too.) I also love the pie crusts, the regular canola oil one is always a go-to for me because it always seems to work. However, I didn't care for the squash ravioli with white bean sauce at all, it seemed to be lacking in flavor for me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:44 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I finally managed to make some recipes from the book.

I made the rich stock (good!, I got 6 cups of broth from it) and the daikon-carrot-arugula-salad with beets and walnuts from p. 146. I just prepared all components (cooked the beets and 'roasted' the walnuts in the microwave, so convenient!) popped them into the fridge in different bowls and have prepared individual servings for the last couple of days. I julienned the carrots and daikon though. Also, for the dressing I used unrefined rapeseed oil but did not have enough and replaced some of it with white-bean-cooking-broth which worked like a charm.

Really tasty and a great substantial salad for winter. I really need to make more from this book!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:20 am 
WELFARIST!

I've made the minestrone a while back and made the French Lentil Soup just last night for the first time. Excellent!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:19 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

The pumpkin pie with glazed pecans is the best pumpkin pie I've ever had. That and the chickpea tart are my favorite recipes from the book. I do stirfry some dark leafy greens (kale, chard, or NZ spinach) in with the onions for the tart, though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:27 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Oh gosh, I can't believe I haven't commented in this thread. This is one of my all-time favorite cookbooks. I have made SO many recipes from it. All of her soups are so amazing! Some of my favorites are:
borscht recipe with the tofu-dill creme
pumpkin pie!
fresh tamale masa with hominy
gingery split pea soup
pasta with roasted shiitakes and tomatoes
That's just the beginning. I think I've probably made at least half of the recipes in this book with a very high success rate. It took me so long to get over the "menu format," but eventually i realized I could just pick out the parts that appealed to me, and actually they aren't usually such big project meals as they first appear.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

I wish this one would come out in an ebook edition.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:13 pm 
Nailed to the V

i'm trying to find this - who is the author?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:20 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Myra Kornfeld is the author. She has a couple of other good books that are very vegan friendly: Healthy Hedonist and Healthy Hedonist Holidays.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:35 pm 
Nailed to the V

thanks.
hm. amazon doesn't have it, so i'll have to get it from an independent seller. - but i always trust your guys judgement! :) it sounds yummy!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:30 pm 
***LIES!!!***

The curry chickpea tart is my favorite thing in the book. I make that whole menu, but instead of the recommended sauce for the tart I make a tofu raita, which lightens up the whole thing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:08 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Seconding the gingery split pea soup recommendation-- it's great. I've been wanting to try the French lentil soup for a while now, so that may be next!