| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:05 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I use the same one as the one on the Reformhaus website and it works fine. But I have never eaten it on its own, only for baking!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ok, so I made the first recipe in the book, the chocolate chip cookies and I'm not a fan. They are crazily oily, I think maybe 2/3 cup of oil is just way too much for them. They are crispy, flat, oily and not soft at all - and I made them small & only baked them for 6 minutes so it cant have been overbaking. And I do use an oven thermometer.

I also got the German translation and it's missing the step of where you put in the oil. I figured it out in the end but still.

So the first recipe was a disaster. I made them for our customers and I'm unsure if I can serve them at all.

I guess I should have read back the last pages since other people were having the same problems. And yes, the batter is definitely not stiff at all.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:23 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yeah, I've learned that they work well with 1/3 cup oil. I couldn't get anything but a giant oily cookie cake out of it as written.

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:26 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have made some more cookies and so far I'm not a big fan of the book and it makes me sad :(

Here's a bad instagram picture of some of them: http://instagram.com/p/wLPkU4sZEW/?modal=true

The Brownies and Blondies were very good. I'll make them again.

The Blackstrap Gingersnaps were rock hard when they came out of the oven (I got an oven thermometer and they weren't in any longer than it said in the recipe). I didn't like the taste.

The chocolate toffee oats cookies were very hard, too. They tasted ok.

The city girl snickerdoodles came out just as badly as the chocolate chip cookies. They were so so oily. All I can taste is oil. Ive got some good snickerdoodles recipes already so that's not so bad but I just don't understand it. Is it because using cups instead of mls and grams is just so inaccurate or are these cookies meant to be so oily and crunchy?

The Black and White cookies are good but the icing was not enough. I followed the recipe and managed to ice maybe half of the cookies before I ran out. I used twice the chocolate amount and iced the other ones just in chocolate because I didnt have any more powedered sugar.

I'm sure there are more great recipes in here (like the brownies and blondies) but I'm already so tired of spending so much money & time and then being disappointed. Do you have any recs for foolproof recipes in this book`?

The chocolate cut out cookies tasted nice but a bit bland. But the dough was impossible to handle. I had to add water so it would stop falling apart and then use so much flour sprinkled on top to roll it out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:56 am 

That's so strange, VB. I baked so much from the book and everything turned out great. Some foolproof recipes I go back to again and again are the Carrot Raisins Spice cookies, the Banana Everything cookies, the Peanut butter pillows (although the chocolate part does spread rather a lot). I had no trouble with the Peanut Butter Criss-Cross cookies, the Chocolate chip cookies came out perfectly if I followed the recipe properly instead of overbaking them.
The Cutout shortbread cookies worked fine both the basic and the chocolate version, and the gingerbread too.
I don't remember what else I made but I've never had any failure.
I use the same measuring cups for dry and liquid ingredients.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:09 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think I'll try the Banana ones next :)

With the chocolate chip cookies at least I know I'm not alone, a lot of people suggested reducing the oil so maybe I'll try that. Or try the whole wheat ones first.

I do have to add I own the German translation of the book so maybe they added some mistakes. Although the measuring is still in cups and I dont think they changed anything there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:39 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I've never had a problem with the Chocolatey Crinkle Cookies, the Peanut Butter Pillows, the Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, and the biscotti recipes. I have had similar issues to you, VeganinBerlin, with the snickerdoodles and the chocolate chips, although the chai snickerdoodles from IDI always turn out great for me. I think maybe it's because I use a kitchen scale to measure out my ingredients, but the measurements in the book are less precise.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:49 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks for the recs :)

Oh yes, Ive made the Chai snickerdoodles from IDI and really liked them!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have started weighing ingredients after I've measured them out in cups and writing that into some of my USA-produced baking books, then at least I can add or subtract a few grams next time if I need to.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

^ seconding Dropscone's suggestion. I don't get along with measuring things in cups at all, partly because I'm too lazy to wash up my cups as well, but weighing in grams works so much better.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:54 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Admittedly I don't make many cookies from the cookbook (especially here at high altitude because I can't crack the high altitude baking secrets) but the espresso brownies are always a winner and everyone I've ever made them for has loved them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The brownies with the cream cheese topping are very, very good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:23 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

vib, what types of measuring cups are you using? I think maybe it's an issue with ttanslation of your version. I've made all those cookies and never had problems. I do always bake cookies for less time than recipes call for. I check on them at 8 minutes and go from there. that would solve hard cookie problems.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:28 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

American measuring cups: http://www.polyvore.com/vanilla_cupcake ... d=26666869

Have you made the chocolate chip cookies with the original amount of oil and they came out tasty? That's just baffling to me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:33 am 

I did as well, followed the recipe to the letter. They came out perfect. The key with those is to really follow the baking time directions, the first time I baked them they looked underbaked after 8-9 minutes so I left them in until they had some color on the sides, and they had spread enormously and were super hard. When I baked them again I left them for 8-9 minutes and they were perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:56 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

VB - I reduce the oil to 1/2 c in the choc chip cookies and they come out perfect. I have made loads out of this book. I'm on an unofficial quest to make all of the cookies, and I've had very few flops. I recommend the Cowboy cookies highly. Lazy Samoas are amazing. The cranberry white chocolate and kitchen sink biscottis are great. I have a whole blog post about all the ones I've tried if you're interested: http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.co ... ookie-jar/

I didn't have good luck with the city girl snickerdoodles, either. I don't like snickerdoodles enough to try to fix it though.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:12 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

VeganinBerlin wrote:
But the molasses at Reformhauses are dark molasses, right? The ones with a super intense taste? Or have you found another one?

I don't remember what non-dark molasses tasted like, but I just use a little less dark molasses than a recipe requires.

blog: Jaunty Dame

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:19 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

butterbobbin wrote:
VB - I reduce the oil to 1/2 c in the choc chip cookies and they come out perfect. I have made loads out of this book. I'm on an unofficial quest to make all of the cookies, and I've had very few flops. I recommend the Cowboy cookies highly. Lazy Samoas are amazing. The cranberry white chocolate and kitchen sink biscottis are great. I have a whole blog post about all the ones I've tried if you're interested: http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.co ... ookie-jar/

I didn't have good luck with the city girl snickerdoodles, either. I don't like snickerdoodles enough to try to fix it though.

Weirdly, other people have said the snickerdoodles taste great (the batch I made, I mean) but I think I'll stick to the one in 100 vegan baking recipes.

I also want to bake all of the cookies, that's why I was so frustrated that some of the cookies were so oily. The pictures all look so good!

The black and white cookies were great days after I made them, better than on the first (despite what it says in the notes). I'll have to make them again and just double the icing.

Reading through your list really makes me want to make all the recipes, too!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:42 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I went a little crazy on storm day Tuesday and baked up a storm. I made cowboy cookies, mocha mamas and carrot cookies from this book, all of which I have made before and are sure winners.

I also made the maple walnut cookies for the first time. My kids weren't so keen on them but I absolutely loved them. So much so that I took them to work so I wouldn't eat them all myself.

VIB, I use only a half cup of oil in the chocolate chip cookies.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:51 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

So, I've made the mint chocolate icebox cookies a number of times (whenever I get off my butt long enough to go down to the creek and pick mint) and every time the dough is SO soft that the cookies turn into a thin, wafery unicookie on the cookie sheet. Even after having frozen the dough! (So I ended up eating the dough raw instead, which was a tough job but someone had to do. Yanno.)

Has anyone else had this issue and how do I best fix it? Would it be better to reduce the liquid or add more flour?

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I need to continue with this book, the past months I've only baked the brownies a few times (they are close to perfect) and the whole wheat chocolate chip cookies.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:50 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Holy crepe the chocolate bottom macaroons are delicious, and were so easy to make too.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:15 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I made the espresso brownies, but without the espresso powder, twice in one week. They are fantastic and so easy!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:29 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

ViB, I am totally with you on the CC cookies and the snickerdoodles. So...so oily. I've made the recipes multiple times, forgetting each time, and been disappointed every time. The CC cookie recipe in VwaV is the best ever, though, so meh.

The chocolatey crinkle, whole-wheat, magic cookie coconut (or something like that), the cookie dough (add the baking soda and this is actually really good when baked!), the biscotti, cowboy cookies.... those are all ones I've had success with many times.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:02 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

allularpunk wrote:
I made the espresso brownies, but without the espresso powder, twice in one week. They are fantastic and so easy!
I feel like I may be repeating a very old post of mine, but the espresso brownies from this book are my absolute favorite brownies. I've done them with all different extracts and mix ins (nuts, crushed candy, chocolate chips, dried fruit) to vary the flavor and they are always a winner.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next