| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:00 am 
Nailed to the V

For real. I did this thing with my last pb pillow where I stacked it on top of a Justin's dark chocolate pb cup. Words cannot describe the party in the mouth.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:57 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I made biscotti for the first time in my life and it was divine! The recipe was cranberry white chocolate biscotti from this book. Fun to make and so delicious. I drizzled a bit of glaze on them like in the photo in the book. I had surprise guests and they devoured almost all of them.

Only thing was my white chocolate burned in the oven, I guess the brand I used doesn't take heat too well (I've managed to burn it many times while melting it for other recipes). Next time I'll just omit it, or maybe use chopped nuts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:37 pm 
Nailed to the V

I tried out three of the biscotti recipes this holiday season. The gingerbread was my favorite, but the cranberry white chocolate were a close second. So easy and delish! The third kind was the almond-anise biscotti from Veganomicon; I added mini chocolate chips and cacao nibs to those. All so good!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

ijustdiedinside wrote:
people have done this before! it sounds delish. my worry would be adding more powdered sugar to biscoff, which is so sweet already, but if you didn't, it wouldn't be thick enough in the middle. so i don't know how to deal with that unless you did half PB half biscoff.

I would just mix a bit of flour in instead of the powdered sugar. Not so much that it turns into straight-up dough, of course, but the right amount should hold it together for a nice chewy center.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:50 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I just made the starry fudge shortbread cookies. They came out so yummy. My only problem was I could not pipe them out. The dough was just impossible to squeeze out. I ended up just making balls and then flattening them out by hand and making the indentation in the middle. It didn't affect the taste, but it was not as pretty as the picture. Any ideas what I did wrong? Do I just need to befriend the winner of a strong man competition to pipe my cookies?

Also, my 2 year old likes me to read him this book like it's a story. He has me read each cookie name and description and we just go through the whole book. It's pretty hilarious.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:58 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the magical coconut cookie bars and they were amazing. I used the base from the gooey pecan bars instead of the graham cracker crumb base though, because I needed to make it gluten-free and couldn't be bothered to go hunt for/make xgfx graham crackers. It worked great.

I also made the peanut butter crisscrosses gluten-free for the first time, and they were awesome too!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:10 pm 
Nailed to the V

DEG wrote:
I just made the starry fudge shortbread cookies. They came out so yummy. My only problem was I could not pipe them out. The dough was just impossible to squeeze out. I ended up just making balls and then flattening them out by hand and making the indentation in the middle. It didn't affect the taste, but it was not as pretty as the picture. Any ideas what I did wrong? Do I just need to befriend the winner of a strong man competition to pipe my cookies?

Also, my 2 year old likes me to read him this book like it's a story. He has me read each cookie name and description and we just go through the whole book. It's pretty hilarious.

I have no ideas about the recipe - but that's really really cute about your son!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:05 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I just made the classic chocolate chip cookies and my omni mom said they were the best cookies ever.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i have got to make time to make the NY black and white cookies. i swooned when i saw that recipe.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:24 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Cimanim wrote:
I just made the classic chocolate chip cookies and my omni mom said they were the best cookies ever.

did you actually use tapioca flour? or did you sub cornstarch?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:26 pm 
Nailed to the V

bookwormbethie wrote:
Cimanim wrote:

I just made those cookies last weekend. My hubby actually thought I had made a non-vegan choco chip cookie recipe, so he was fooled! I used tapioca flour, and have done so each time I've made them. But I'm pretty sure it could be interchangeable with cornstarch and work out just fine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:32 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

beethecookie wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
Cimanim wrote:

I just made those cookies last weekend. My hubby actually thought I had made a non-vegan choco chip cookie recipe, so he was fooled! I used tapioca flour, and have done so each time I've made them. But I'm pretty sure it could be interchangeable with cornstarch and work out just fine.

I always use cornstarch and they are excellent.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

awesome!! guess i know what i'm doing later this afternoon! making cookies seems much more fun than doing some of the chores on my to-do list.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:53 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

j-dub wrote:
beethecookie wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

I always use cornstarch and they are excellent.

I always use arrowroot and it always works out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:22 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

beethecookie wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
Cimanim wrote:

I did use tapioca flour :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:46 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

well i'll be using cornstarch since that is what i have on hand. not sure if i've seen tapica flour around but i haven't run across any other vegan baking recipes that call for that ingredient so i really can't justify going on a hunt to find this ingredient, esp if it's pricey like the bob's red mill arrowroot flour! j-dub said she used cornstarch so i'll give that a try, i got side tracked yesterday and didn't get a chance to make the cookies but will today or tomorrow.

i am looking forward to trying out isa's choc chip cookie recipe. julie's choc chip recipe from 'vegan diner' has been my go-to recipe for choc chip cookies.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:31 am 
Nailed to the V

BookwormBethie:

me too. I make Julie's cookies so many times, I can now do the recipe off the top of my head.
(I find if i mix everything in one bowl, the cookies are more soft. if i do it sugar to flour, they come out slightly more puffy and a bit more of a chewy bite in the softness, if tha tmakes sense).

I've yet to make anything Isa in the way of Choco. Chip Cookies.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:23 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I love this book, and there's still so much I have to cover. Favorites include the black & whites and sugar cookies. Some I've only made once but thought were stellar are the minonos and ooh la las. And the peanut butter chocolate pillows? First time I made those, I said they'd win me a husband someday ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:28 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Also: when making things like brownies or blondies that call for 3 ounces of silken tofu. What's the best way to measure it out (without quadrupling the recipe) if you don't have a kitchen scale? Also, how do you store the rest, how long does it last, and what else can you use it in? Besides in baking, the only time I can think of when I used silken was in miso soup.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:31 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

sweet_potato wrote:
Also: when making things like brownies or blondies that call for 3 ounces of silken tofu. What's the best way to measure it out (without quadrupling the recipe) if you don't have a kitchen scale? Also, how do you store the rest, how long does it last, and what else can you use it in? Besides in baking, the only time I can think of when I used silken was in miso soup.

I would probably dump the whole block onto a cutting board and eyeball 1/4 of the block. I use silken tofu in smoothies every morning, so that's where mine would go. If you have AFR, the sanctuary dressing calls for it. I have also blended it and used it in other recipes instead of mayo. I make a sweet apple and cabbage slaw with blended silken tofu, lemon juice, and a teensy bit of maple syrup.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:40 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

sweet_potato wrote:

There is a really great omelette recipe on Fat Free Vegan that uses, I think, a half pack of silken tofu.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:05 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks for the suggestions! But how do you store it in the meantime? I've never even stored excess regular tofu (but heard something about keeping it in a sealed container with water and then replacing the water every day or so?)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:57 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I just store mine in tupperware in the fridge. No water needed. But I use 1/2 package a day, so the extra half is only in there for one day. I don't know if anything special is needed to store for longer.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I use silken tofu for sauces sometimes- this one is a perpetual favourite. I also used to use it to make sour cream before we could get the Tofutti stuff here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:33 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

made the choc chip cookies earlier this afternoon. they came out pretty good although a tiny bit oily. maybe next time i'll use a smidge less oil??? (definitely had enough flour as i scooped) also, i used a scant 1.5 TBS cookie scoop. baked them for 7 or 8 minutes (on parchment paper like i always do) and let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, as directed in the recipe, before moving to cooling rack. am wondering if maybe the cookies were underdone? no big deal since they're vegan, but i'm wondering i should have cooked them longer. julie's choc chip cooke recipe from vegan diner (while different of course) cooks for 12 minutes in the oven.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next