| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 539 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:41 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I did reduce the oil in my second batch because I also thought the first batch was very oily. Unfortunately I can't remember what I cut it back to.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i stumbled upon a post in the general kitchen forum and i poopiebitch mentioned she reduced the oil to 1/2 cup and chilled the dough for a few hours. i think the cookies will still get eaten, but next time i definitely will try poopie's method.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:45 pm 
Chip Strong

Reduce the oil to 1/2 cup - this solves all.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

and keep the baking time as directed??

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:46 am 
Ninja Master

Re the leftover silken tofu, I froze the leftovers in 3 oz portions the first time I made them because I never use silken tofu. Then I just defrosted one to use in a batch I made before xmas. The texture looked really weird when it was defrosted but I just threw it in the blender along with the water that had separated out and it still worked perfectly!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:04 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made the peanut butter oatmeal cookies yesterday. So good! I loved the little touch the cinnamon added. Only problem was my peanuts didn't stick to the top very well. I might just skip them next time since they were very good without them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i'm bummed, even the next day, the cookies really are too oily to eat :( oh well, next time i will reduce the oil and give the recipe another try.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:29 pm 
Chip Strong

bookwormbethie wrote:
i'm bummed, even the next day, the cookies really are too oily to eat :( oh well, next time i will reduce the oil and give the recipe another try.

Yes, baking time stays the same iirc. I was really disappointed with my first batch too, so I hear ya.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i will give isa's choc chip cookies another try at some point as i'd like to have another choc chip cookie recipe in the rotation. i'm just bummed that i'm going to end up tossing the cookies :(

the baking method, at least to me, does seem a bit unique. although i really only have the vegan diner choc chip cookies to compare them too, julie's bake for i think 12 minutes, same size too. i was just surprised that isa's bake for 7-ish minutes and then cool on the sheet for 5. i know the sheet is still hot so there is some carry-over or residual cooking, but it still seems unusual to me. perhaps that to prevent them from being overbaked and too dry and/or chewy?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:10 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

The cooking time is right -- reducing the oil is what helps the texture.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:11 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

can someone PM me the cowgirl cookie option please? I can't find my book - i FINALLY have white chips and cranberries, but I don't recal the spice/nut combo (and what i'd remove from the regular cowboy cookies)

thanks!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:42 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made the macaroons today. They were so good. So far every single thing I have made from this cookbook has been a win. And I can't believe how easy they are. I tried making macaroons pregan, and they were so fussy and annoying. I would make these any day.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:43 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I got in the mood to make these recently. Glad to hear they turned out well!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:45 am 
Not NOT A Furry

hmm. cowgirl cookies with white chips (finally)
they melt and everything :( bummerily, these were a gift so i have to treat them like GOLD).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:39 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ive been on a mission to cram more iron into my body so i made the blackstrap gingersnaps this week (blackstrap molasses is really high in iron)
i was nervous because blackstrap is SO BITTER and there was ALOT of ginger in the recipe but they are DAMN GOOD. no they arent super sweet ooey gooey cookies but i will still eat 1000 of them.
i ended up eating quite a bit of the batter too (oops)

the only "issue" i had was the batter while dough-like was way wetter and stickier than i would think it should have been. i couldnt roll them into balls in my hands. cookies came out totally fine though.
the only thing i can think other than maybe i measured something slightly wrong is i was cooking dinner while making the cookies and i was sifting the dry ingredients together on the stove right next to my pot of chili that was steaming so maybe some moisture drifted over.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:34 am 
Saggy Butt

bookwormbethie wrote:
i will give isa's choc chip cookies another try at some point as i'd like to have another choc chip cookie recipe in the rotation. i'm just bummed that i'm going to end up tossing the cookies :(

the baking method, at least to me, does seem a bit unique. although i really only have the vegan diner choc chip cookies to compare them too, julie's bake for i think 12 minutes, same size too. i was just surprised that isa's bake for 7-ish minutes and then cool on the sheet for 5. i know the sheet is still hot so there is some carry-over or residual cooking, but it still seems unusual to me. perhaps that to prevent them from being overbaked and too dry and/or chewy?

I leave any soft cookie on the pans for at least 5 minutes out of the oven because otherwise they sag on the cooling rack. I suppose the extra time results in a bit of extra cooking on the bottom as well as cooling to firm them up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

@arisaig, that totally makes sense.

i'm working up the nerve to re-try this choc chip cookie recipe. i was bummed that i had to toss out the previous batch, i don't like wasting ingredients :(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I find I have to half the salt in every recipe, is it just me? Otherwise every one a hit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:24 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I was recently able to get my hands on coffee extract and was finally able to make the Mocha Mamas!
Not sure if they came out how they were supposed to, but they were still awesome! They more resembled little brownie bites than big chewy cookies.
Defiantly will make again!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:11 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Eating the samoas right now! They were much easier than I expected, and delicious.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:42 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

This week I made the Mexican snickerdoodles (first time making snickerdoodles, yay!) and Hazelnut fudge dreamies. Both were a success!

I really liked the flavor and texture of the snickerdoodles, the cayenne and cinnamon were perfect with the cocoa. They cracked beautifully on top and were chewy on the inside.

The hazelnut fudge ones were fun to make and really decadent. I used organic hazelnut extract instead of liquor. The fudge/truffle filling was perfect!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:59 am 
Chard Martyr

You guys! I know you all know this, but I had forgotten since I first made them = Deluxe Cocoa Brownies are perrrrrrfect! made a double batch in a 13x9 pan and pressed chocolate chips into the top, Mrs. Field's style. SO GOOD!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:46 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I made those for my WVBS this weekend! Just had half of one I bought for a snack as well. So good. Also tried the lemon bars this weekend. They were great! The flavor of both the lemon stuff and the crust are spot on. The texture of agar gelled things still kind of icks me out, but my dude said it wasn't that different from omni lemon bars. I feel like it's more solid though...and less creamy? I dunno, I would totally make them and eat the hell out of them again. Agar just weirds me out sometimes.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:52 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I haven't read this whole thread, so apologies if the answers are in here already, but I'm new to vegan baking and need some help troubleshooting why I'm having so much trouble with the chocolate chip cookie recipe. This is the first time I've made them and I've had a few frustrations.

I followed the recipe exactly with the exception of subbing corn starch for the tapioca flour, but according to the section on substitutions that should be an acceptable sub. The recipe says that the dough should be a bit stiff, but this wasn't at all the case. The instructions say you should roll the dough into ping-pong ball size, but the dough was soooooooooooooooo sticky and moist there was no way to roll them. I kept adding flour so that I could get the dough to rolling point and it never really got there. I ended up having to use a fork and spoon to get glops of dough of approximately the right size to drop onto the cookie sheet. I think all in all I added an extra half cup of flour (so I used two cups instead of 1.5 cups).

The other problem I had was baking time. The recipe says to bake 8-9 minutes, and definitely no more than 9. But the edges weren't even close to brown when nine minutes had passed. I know my oven tends to run cold, but I've got an oven thermometer and it was reading 350 degrees on the nose. I even let them cool a bit to see if they'd harden, but when I tried one it was raw inside. I ended up putting them back in for another 8 minutes.

I picked this recipe because I thought it would be the easiest and most fool-proof, but I guess Isa and Terry didn't count on the level of my foolishness. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:20 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

Isa and Terry say to scoop the flour, so make sure you don't spoon it into your measuring cup. The different methods can definitely account for some stickiness. I always halve the oil in that recipe, too.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 539 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next