| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 553 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:27 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

SandyBadlands wrote:
allychristine wrote:
Ok, so the chocolate chip cookie recipe is one of my favorite recipes (of all recipes), but does anyone else add extra flour? I usually do because the dough is quite wet, but I can't remember if I added extra the first time I made them (when I think they were bestbest). Mine are always good, but seem to come out slightly different every time.

I used to add a little extra flour because the dough always turned out wet and oily (even though the directions say it should be "a little stiff"), but sometimes they turned out not quite right. Eventually I realized that if I follow the recipe as printed but reduce the oil to 1/2 cup, they turn out perfect.

I will do that next time!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:41 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Cowboy cookies win forever.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

allychristine wrote:
Ok, so the chocolate chip cookie recipe is one of my favorite recipes (of all recipes), but does anyone else add extra flour? I usually do because the dough is quite wet, but I can't remember if I added extra the first time I made them (when I think they were bestbest). Mine are always good, but seem to come out slightly different every time.

I've never increased the flour, but mine turn out less wet & oily (& perfect!) when I use wheat flour instead of white flour, and it doesn't make them taste "healthy" or anything.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:33 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I just made the PB pillows with PB & Co White Chocolate Wonder peanut butter. OMG. Eating those was one of the best experiences of my life. Too bad they're all gone now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:42 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

laura8it wrote:
I just made the PB pillows with PB & Co White Chocolate Wonder peanut butter. OMG. Eating those was one of the best experiences of my life. Too bad they're all gone now.

I can only imagine how amazing those would be.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:28 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

My friends LOVE the cowboy cookies, my husband is crazy for the chocolate chip cookies.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm going to make the sell your soul pumpkin cookies tonight with a friend!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:04 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

If I can ever find any goddamn brown rice syrup (which they are naturally out of at the more-convenient HFS in my area the one time I need it), I will be making a batch of Pecan Caramel Bars for Thanksgiving.

I found out by accident that the Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles are even better with carob powder...I happen to have the same brand of cocoa and carob powder at the moment, and their containers look similar enough that you can easily grab the wrong one if you're not paying attention, and that's what happened. Best mistake ever.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I got some pumpkin seed oil in a package exchange. I wonder if it would be good in the pumpkin cookies? Or any others?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:22 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I made the oatmeal raisin cookies the other day. Definitely hit the spot.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:19 pm 
ugh

I made the pillows for a group of non-veg*n friends and they were very popular! Mmmmmm.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:14 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I haven't made brownies since I've been vegan (seriously, how have I lived for the last two years?), but I've been having a baking itch lately and thought I would give the ones from VCIYCJ a go. The plan is to make the plain ones, but I haven't heard much scuttlebutt about them. Am I going to be ok? Will I have regrets (is that possible) ? Tell me PPK!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:39 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Megbeck wrote:
I haven't made brownies since I've been vegan (seriously, how have I lived for the last two years?), but I've been having a baking itch lately and thought I would give the ones from VCIYCJ a go. The plan is to make the plain ones, but I haven't heard much scuttlebutt about them. Am I going to be ok? Will I have regrets (is that possible) ? Tell me PPK!

I love these brownies. So. Very. Much. And so does my very omni brother. You won't regret them. They're nice and fudgy and brownie-y...mmm.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:55 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Megbeck wrote:

They are wonderful!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:09 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

i'm making lazy samoas for a vegan cooking contest on thursday! wish me luck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bobdylan wrote:
i'm making lazy samoas for a vegan cooking contest on thursday! wish me luck

Every time I see the name of those cookies, I think it says Samoans and think, god DAMN that's racist. And then I remember.

I've had similar issues with the chocolate chip cookies. I made them GF a couple weeks ago, and they were practically swimming in oil. But when I added some flour, they got kinda weird (though still good).

I find it far too easy to overindulge with cookies, so I don't use this book often. I've loved almost everything I've made from it though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:55 pm 

Megbeck wrote:

I've made the espresso fudge ones (I think you're talking about the deluxe cocoa ones) and they were great! Can't speak for the other ones though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the espresso brownies and chai shortbread last night, love them both. Boyfriend hates coffee and tea, so more for me! Total win-win.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:39 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

allychristine wrote:
SandyBadlands wrote:
allychristine wrote:

I used to add a little extra flour because the dough always turned out wet and oily (even though the directions say it should be "a little stiff"), but sometimes they turned out not quite right. Eventually I realized that if I follow the recipe as printed but reduce the oil to 1/2 cup, they turn out perfect.

I will do that next time!

I just made a batch of these for a friend using the 1/2 C oil, and I will never make it with the amount of oil called for in the recipe again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:01 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Ok, ok so I'm late to the party.

Just picked this book up yesterday and made recipe #1 - Chocolate Chip Cookies, which went perfectly with a tall glass of EB chocolate soy milk. Love these babies!

Came home from work this evening looking forward to my after dinner snack and found an empty cookie jar! My husband just had to eat the entire batch while he was home today! He danced around the kitchen laughing and singing "Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar" then proceeded to ask when I would be making more.

Umm... this weekend :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:12 pm 

iluvveggies wrote:
Ok, ok so I'm late to the party.

Just picked this book up yesterday and made recipe #1 - Chocolate Chip Cookies, which went perfectly with a tall glass of EB chocolate soy milk. Love these babies!

Came home from work this evening looking forward to my after dinner snack and found an empty cookie jar! My husband just had to eat the entire batch while he was home today! He danced around the kitchen laughing and singing "Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar" then proceeded to ask when I would be making more.

Umm... this weekend :)

Yay, glad your first experience with the book was good! I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the recipes, my absolute favorite so far has been the peanut apple pretzel drops! But they've all been incredible!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:52 pm 
Huffs Nooch

So, I made the brownies last night and they were delicious! I usually like my brownies a bit fudgier, but I was so excited to be eating brownies that I didn't care. The boy loved them too (thank goodness because someone has to eat them!). Thanks for everyone's reviews/reassurances.

Now onto the PB pillows!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:52 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I'm having the Pecan Caramel bars made for me today! haha if there's any tips/typos/warnings etc for this recipe someone speak up quick so I can tell my boyfriend please!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:00 pm 

Megbeck wrote:
So, I made the brownies last night and they were delicious! I usually like my brownies a bit fudgier, but I was so excited to be eating brownies that I didn't care. The boy loved them too (thank goodness because someone has to eat them!). Thanks for everyone's reviews/reassurances.

Now onto the PB pillows!

Ah, PB pillows are incredible! Yummmmm...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:12 pm 
Chard Martyr

VeganMeredith wrote:
Megbeck wrote:

Now onto the PB pillows!

Ah, PB pillows are incredible! Yummmmm...

Has anyone tried to make them with almond butter? Experiences? Certain brand of almond butter, if you have made them? I'm concerned about the texture/oiliness. I wish I had written down which peanut butter I used last time I made the PB Pillows... I think it was Maranatha, but I can't be certain...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 553 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next