| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

Yesterday I pulled this book out to make my fave biscotti, the Gingerbread Biscotti. Heavenly yum. I added dried cranberries and white chocolate chips to my batter and they turned out perfect. As far as I'm concerned, my holiday baking has now officially begun!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

has anyone made the pumpkin pie brownies? if so what did you think?
also, did you really line the 8" or 9" square baking pan (not glass) with parchment paper or did a good spray with non-stick spray do the trick?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:31 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i have made the pumpkin pie brownies twice now and am going to make them again later this week.
i really liked them.

make sure you use semi sweet chocolate and not unsweetened like i did the first time

i used a 9" springform pan and i never took them off the bottom part i just made sure when cutting them not to like saw down into it but just push the knife so i wouldnt cut my pan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thanks, for the tip! perhaps i'll line my baking pan with aluminum foil, that would make it really easy to lift the entire batch right out of the pan.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:00 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I just made the blackstrap gingersnaps. but with regular molasses bc that is all I had. they are delish.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:55 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

In general, can you freeze cookie dough for later use? Any suggestions for which cookies it would work best for, and should I freeze individual blobs or make a roll and slice it up when it's time to bake? I'm more likely to do drop cookies like macadamia ginger or chocolate chip so I'm hoping those can freeze.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:24 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Yes, cookie dough freezes just fine. You could freeze blobs or a roll - but it'd probably be easier to freeze them in the individual pieces so you can just pop them in the oven when you want a cookie. A roll would require a little defrosting and seems like a mostly unnecessary step (unless you're freezing dough for cut out cookies or something else you'd need to roll out).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:42 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I got a cookie cutter that has a pattern imprinted on it so when you stamp out the cookies there is an indentation of the pattern. Any ideas which of the recipes would work best with a cookie cutter like this and not puff so much when baking that the pattern is lost?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:54 pm 
Nailed to the V

DEG, I made the sugar cookies from the book this past weekend and they hold their shape well. I can't speak for the imprinting part because I just used regular cookie cutters, but I'm thinking they should work. They didn't puff or spread too much for me. I hope your cookies work, whatever recipe you use!

Today I made Peanut Butter Pillows and Oh La La's from the book. It was chocolate-scented heaven in my house! I am so in love with both of these recipes; I give a slight edge to the pillows, because peanut butter! But they're both scrumptious.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:14 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

DEG wrote:
I got a cookie cutter that has a pattern imprinted on it so when you stamp out the cookies there is an indentation of the pattern. Any ideas which of the recipes would work best with a cookie cutter like this and not puff so much when baking that the pattern is lost?

Spekulatius cookies? Since they're usually rather 3D?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:41 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I just finished putting together the treat boxes for my kiddos' teachers, and this year all four cookies were from this book. I made sell your soul pumpkin cookies, which seriously, I would sell my soul for. Iced sugar cookies. Fudgy chocolate oatmeal cookies. And the one I changed a bit was that I took the dough from the oreos, cut the vanilla extract in half and added 2 teaspoons of peppermint extract and made chocolate peppermint stained glass cookies. I used a candy cane shaped cookie cutter to make a cut out, filled that with crushed candy canes, and that melted when the cookies baked.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:22 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

DEG wrote:
I just finished putting together the treat boxes for my kiddos' teachers, and this year all four cookies were from this book. I made sell your soul pumpkin cookies, which seriously, I would sell my soul for. Iced sugar cookies. Fudgy chocolate oatmeal cookies. And the one I changed a bit was that I took the dough from the oreos, cut the vanilla extract in half and added 2 teaspoons of peppermint extract and made chocolate peppermint stained glass cookies. I used a candy cane shaped cookie cutter to make a cut out, filled that with crushed candy canes, and that melted when the cookies baked.

The iced sugar cookies look so perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:23 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Amazing! You make me wish I had stuck with teaching, DEG! Haha, I would probably never get anything as nice as that though. Lovely idea with the oreas too - I just bought little holly, star, and christmas tree shaped cutters so might have to give it a try sometime.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks guys. I am so happy with how they turned out. This is seriously my favorite cookbook.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:19 pm 
Chard Martyr

So pretty, DEG!!

We made nutty wedding (holy moly my favorite), cowboy, magical coconut bars, and sugar cookies. Loved them all, and so did the non-veg's that I baked with, and the people we gave them to.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:38 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm going to make the Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles for gluten-free family members. I am going to use the book's gf recipe for the flours. Of course the recipe calls for 1-2/3c flour so I am nervous about how to do that (because the flour recipe makes more than 1c) Hopefully it will be forgiving and I'll be able to tell if the consistency is ok. I've made the cookies the regular way a couple of times.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:42 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

could you double the GF flour mix and then just measure out what you need? i think you might need to use a bit more flour when baking gluten free anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:33 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm glad you said that, that's what I thought might be best. I was thinking that I can do the 1 cup as 1 batch of the flour mixture, then make a 2nd batch of the flour mixture and divide it into thirds. I think it would be easier than doing the math. :) The book does mention that the flour mixture comes out to more than 1 cup because gluten-free flour absorbs liquid differently.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:07 pm 
Inflexitarian

I took the mexican hot chocolate snickerdoodles to a party last night, and they were all gobbled up. I think next time I will try to cut down on the oil though; they leave a greasy residue on fingers, etc.

It was great to have a hit in a tough crowd!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:59 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Question about the Sell Your Soul pumpkin cookies: I've never made them before and was wondering if it'd work to double the recipe and use a 15-oz. can of pumpkin (the recipe calls for 2 cups). Maybe reduce it a tiny bit less? Or would that be meddling with wizardry?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:15 am 
Not NOT A Furry

elizabee wrote:
Question about the Sell Your Soul pumpkin cookies: I've never made them before and was wondering if it'd work to double the recipe and use a 15-oz. can of pumpkin (the recipe calls for 2 cups). Maybe reduce it a tiny bit less? Or would that be meddling with wizardry?

Yes, that is exactly what I did because I needed a double batch and had canned pumpkin. They turned out great. Definitely my favorite of the four I made last week. They just seemed so appropriate for the season.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:41 am 
Huffs Nooch

Yay! Thanks...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:39 pm 
Huffs Nooch

The pumpkin cookies came out AMAZING - will definitely be using this recipe a lot in the future. They aren't very pretty, so I'm torn between drizzling some glaze on them for our guests tonight or leaving them all inconspicuous so I can keep them all for myself.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:06 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

The Pecan Caramel Bars came out so good, perfectly gooey. They received many compliments. But SO. MUCH. sugar and fat. Definitely not an everyday treat.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:07 pm 
Nailed to the V

masuphl wrote:
I'm going to make the Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles for gluten-free family members. I am going to use the book's gf recipe for the flours. Of course the recipe calls for 1-2/3c flour so I am nervous about how to do that (because the flour recipe makes more than 1c) Hopefully it will be forgiving and I'll be able to tell if the consistency is ok. I've made the cookies the regular way a couple of times.

Update: I was told that these cookies were gone within 1/2 hr of getting there. And there were tons of other cookies/treats there. So that says something. :) Success!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next