| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:33 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

an update: those Caramel Pecan bars are amazing!! we halved the recipe 'cause its just the two of us, and I was a little worried because the bf is not that experienced a baker, but MAN those things are good...we baked in a 9x9 Pyrex and added about 1/2 tsp of coarse salt over the top after baking. I am now rationalizing having eaten 3 of them last night because "hey, brown rice syrup isn't so bad!"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:52 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

How do these recipes work with GF?

This would be the perfect secret santa gift for an exchange at my work, except my pickee is allergic to wheat.

Are there better dessert cookbooks (simple like this one) for GF-peeps?

As far as I know, she does not have celiac, so things like non-GF oats and spelt might be okay.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:11 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

almiratanner wrote:
How do these recipes work with GF?

This would be the perfect secret santa gift for an exchange at my work, except my pickee is allergic to wheat.

Are there better dessert cookbooks (simple like this one) for GF-peeps?

As far as I know, she does not have celiac, so things like non-GF oats and spelt might be okay.

Mittenmachen did a review of the book, testing out the recipes and making them GF, you can see it here: http://www.mittenmachen.com/2010/02/gluten-free-review-vegan-cookies-invade.html
So I think this could still be a good gift!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:49 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

New favorite: Sweet Chocolate Pretzels. So tasty, so chocolaty, so fun to shape! I made a double batch yesterday due to accidentally adding twice the margarine called for, and I don't regret it in the least.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:01 pm 
Chard Martyr

SandyBadlands wrote:
New favorite: Sweet Chocolate Pretzels. So tasty, so chocolaty, so fun to shape! I made a double batch yesterday due to accidentally adding twice the margarine called for, and I don't regret it in the least.

Oooh I had to go look these up. They sound great! I'd have to go purchase pretzels to get the actual shape down (no, I don't think I could do it based on a googled shape alone, I'd need actual, edible pretzels)- thanks for the recommendation!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:20 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Meggs wrote:
SandyBadlands wrote:

Oooh I had to go look these up. They sound great! I'd have to go purchase pretzels to get the actual shape down (no, I don't think I could do it based on a googled shape alone, I'd need actual, edible pretzels)- thanks for the recommendation!

That's funny...I had actual pretzels on hand but I still had to rely on an online tutorial. I definitely had to reroll a few, but you get the hang of it after a dozen or so. Then it's fun!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:32 pm 
Chard Martyr

SandyBadlands wrote:
Meggs wrote:
SandyBadlands wrote:

That's funny...I had actual pretzels on hand but I still had to rely on an online tutorial. I definitely had to reroll a few, but you get the hang of it after a dozen or so. Then it's fun!

I just wanted an excuse to eat pretzels... but I'm glad you posted an online tutorial! I might really need that! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:58 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

SandyBadlands wrote:

I've been wanting to try these, definitely will have to make them soon!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:30 pm 
Inflexitarian

I don't have this book, but I got excited last night at a benefit (Brooklyn's Biblioball) that had a bake sale table set up. This wasn't a vegan specific event but the bake sale had at least 4-5 vegan options including the mexican chocolate snickerdoodles, and black and white cookies (this is from VCIYCJ right?) Anyway just wanted to share my excitement for getting to eat vegan cookies unexpectedly. really tasty ones!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Meggs wrote:
Has anyone tried to make them with almond butter? Experiences? Certain brand of almond butter, if you have made them? I'm concerned about the texture/oiliness. I wish I had written down which peanut butter I used last time I made the PB Pillows... I think it was Maranatha, but I can't be certain...

Haven't heard of that sub yet, but give it a shot and let us know.

Just to be safe use creamy roasted almond butter, salted if possible. Give it a good mixing to distribute the oils.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:59 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Terry wrote:
Meggs wrote:
Has anyone tried to make them with almond butter? Experiences? Certain brand of almond butter, if you have made them? I'm concerned about the texture/oiliness. I wish I had written down which peanut butter I used last time I made the PB Pillows... I think it was Maranatha, but I can't be certain...

Just to be safe use creamy roasted almond butter, salted if possible. Give it a good mixing to distribute the oils.

I've done it. They taste amazing but are fairly oily. My mum pretty much cried she loved them so much.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:18 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I don't bake a lot but have been baking up a small storm to bring lots of goodies to some potluck things next week. So, I made Cherry Almond cookies tonight. They were good but I'm curious about some stuff. Was I supposed to cut up the cherries? They're big (Trader Joe's dried bing cherries). The cookies are big too cause I figure generous tablespoons are closer to cup size. Also, the only slivered almonds I could find were raw. Something tells me that these would have rocked more hardcore with toasting of them. Yes?

Thank goodness all my other meals are coming from Appetite for Reduction.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have my first ever batch of peanut butter blondies in the oven right now. They smell glorious.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:37 am 

Erinnerung wrote:
I have my first ever batch of peanut butter blondies in the oven right now. They smell glorious.

These are incredible.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:07 am 
Chard Martyr

j-dub wrote:
Terry wrote:

I've done it. They taste amazing but are fairly oily. My mum pretty much cried she loved them so much.

I would love to make people cry. I'll give it a try, Terry, since J-Dubs had success. Much mixing will be involved.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:30 am 

Meggs wrote:
j-dub wrote:
Terry wrote:

I would love to make people cry. I'll give it a try, Terry, since J-Dubs had success. Much mixing will be involved.

I'm definitely going to try this too, I live for almond butter.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:20 pm 
Inflexitarian

Just made mexican hot chocolate snickerdoodles, first time, in my little convection oven. Taking to a party with mostly omnis tonight. I predict they'll be devoured.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:49 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yesterday I made the Grapefruit Icebox Cookies, and Gingerbread cupcakes. Both were so good! The gingerbread cupcakes were very gingery so I'll probably cut back a bit on the ground ginger for my family.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:28 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Errata list somewhere? I got the kindle version and it says 2/3 cups flour for the Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles. That looks like it should be "1 2/3 cups."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:29 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

digifoo wrote:
Errata list somewhere? I got the kindle version and it says 2/3 cups flour for the Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles. That looks like it should be "1 2/3 cups."

hm..that's weird, but it's definitely correct in the book version.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:46 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

digifoo wrote:

It is 1 2/3 cups.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:03 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Fine in the book but not Kindle version? Bah! That'll learn me :)

Thank you, ismloveyoubobbybrown. Making them tonight.

Edit: Made. And oh my goodness! So good! I like the sneaky spice. It's a different type of cookie for me but am so glad I made them. Hopefully, others feel the same on Monday.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:38 am 
Huffs Nooch

Ok, my first ever batch of PB Pillows just came out of the oven. I bit into one and I may have let out a little moan. THESE ARE SO GOOD. Thank goodness I am giving them away because I might be tempted to eat the whole batch myself. With a glass of soymilk, of course.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:00 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I make cowboy cookies about once a month and double the batches to give out to family. My grandpa is a widower and hangs out at the senior center and has spread the cowboy cookie love-I got the warm fuzzies yesterday when he said a friend said it's the best cookie she's ever had!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:49 pm 
Inflexitarian

Megbeck wrote:
Ok, my first ever batch of PB Pillows just came out of the oven. I bit into one and I may have let out a little moan. THESE ARE SO GOOD. Thank goodness I am giving them away because I might be tempted to eat the whole batch myself. With a glass of soymilk, of course.

At the party I went to last night, there were some vegan cookies like this, chocolate with peanut butter inside? The hostess made them with me and my husband in mind. She called them PB pillows, and said she got the recipe off the internet. They were great, and it was so unexpected that she thought about sweets for us. We brought some home too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next