| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:33 pm 
Offline
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:08 pm
Posts: 1655
an update: those Caramel Pecan bars are amazing!! we halved the recipe 'cause its just the two of us, and I was a little worried because the bf is not that experienced a baker, but MAN those things are good...we baked in a 9x9 Pyrex and added about 1/2 tsp of coarse salt over the top after baking. I am now rationalizing having eaten 3 of them last night because "hey, brown rice syrup isn't so bad!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:52 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:49 pm
Posts: 517
Location: Vancouver
How do these recipes work with GF?

This would be the perfect secret santa gift for an exchange at my work, except my pickee is allergic to wheat.

Are there better dessert cookbooks (simple like this one) for GF-peeps?

As far as I know, she does not have celiac, so things like non-GF oats and spelt might be okay.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:11 am 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:32 pm
Posts: 437
Location: Cardiff, Wales
almiratanner wrote:
How do these recipes work with GF?

This would be the perfect secret santa gift for an exchange at my work, except my pickee is allergic to wheat.

Are there better dessert cookbooks (simple like this one) for GF-peeps?

As far as I know, she does not have celiac, so things like non-GF oats and spelt might be okay.


Mittenmachen did a review of the book, testing out the recipes and making them GF, you can see it here: http://www.mittenmachen.com/2010/02/gluten-free-review-vegan-cookies-invade.html
So I think this could still be a good gift!

_________________
"Wow. So I must've really misunderstood you when you said you loved the place and wanted to be buried in a vat of their platanos so you could eat your way out?" - Turk, Scrubs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:49 pm 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:28 pm
Posts: 257
Location: NYC
New favorite: Sweet Chocolate Pretzels. So tasty, so chocolaty, so fun to shape! I made a double batch yesterday due to accidentally adding twice the margarine called for, and I don't regret it in the least.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:01 pm 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 9635
Location: SW Desert, USA
SandyBadlands wrote:
New favorite: Sweet Chocolate Pretzels. So tasty, so chocolaty, so fun to shape! I made a double batch yesterday due to accidentally adding twice the margarine called for, and I don't regret it in the least.

Oooh I had to go look these up. They sound great! I'd have to go purchase pretzels to get the actual shape down (no, I don't think I could do it based on a googled shape alone, I'd need actual, edible pretzels)- thanks for the recommendation!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:20 pm 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:28 pm
Posts: 257
Location: NYC
Meggs wrote:
SandyBadlands wrote:
New favorite: Sweet Chocolate Pretzels. So tasty, so chocolaty, so fun to shape! I made a double batch yesterday due to accidentally adding twice the margarine called for, and I don't regret it in the least.

Oooh I had to go look these up. They sound great! I'd have to go purchase pretzels to get the actual shape down (no, I don't think I could do it based on a googled shape alone, I'd need actual, edible pretzels)- thanks for the recommendation!

That's funny...I had actual pretzels on hand but I still had to rely on an online tutorial. I definitely had to reroll a few, but you get the hang of it after a dozen or so. Then it's fun!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:32 pm 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 9635
Location: SW Desert, USA
SandyBadlands wrote:
Meggs wrote:
SandyBadlands wrote:
New favorite: Sweet Chocolate Pretzels. So tasty, so chocolaty, so fun to shape! I made a double batch yesterday due to accidentally adding twice the margarine called for, and I don't regret it in the least.

Oooh I had to go look these up. They sound great! I'd have to go purchase pretzels to get the actual shape down (no, I don't think I could do it based on a googled shape alone, I'd need actual, edible pretzels)- thanks for the recommendation!

That's funny...I had actual pretzels on hand but I still had to rely on an online tutorial. I definitely had to reroll a few, but you get the hang of it after a dozen or so. Then it's fun!

I just wanted an excuse to eat pretzels... but I'm glad you posted an online tutorial! I might really need that! Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:58 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:55 am
Posts: 4221
Location: Halifax, NS
SandyBadlands wrote:
New favorite: Sweet Chocolate Pretzels. So tasty, so chocolaty, so fun to shape! I made a double batch yesterday due to accidentally adding twice the margarine called for, and I don't regret it in the least.


I've been wanting to try these, definitely will have to make them soon!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:30 pm 
Online
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:06 pm
Posts: 751
I don't have this book, but I got excited last night at a benefit (Brooklyn's Biblioball) that had a bake sale table set up. This wasn't a vegan specific event but the bake sale had at least 4-5 vegan options including the mexican chocolate snickerdoodles, and black and white cookies (this is from VCIYCJ right?) Anyway just wanted to share my excitement for getting to eat vegan cookies unexpectedly. really tasty ones!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:54 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:36 pm
Posts: 493
Location: PPK NYC call center
Meggs wrote:
Has anyone tried to make them with almond butter? Experiences? Certain brand of almond butter, if you have made them? I'm concerned about the texture/oiliness. I wish I had written down which peanut butter I used last time I made the PB Pillows... I think it was Maranatha, but I can't be certain...


Haven't heard of that sub yet, but give it a shot and let us know.

Just to be safe use creamy roasted almond butter, salted if possible. Give it a good mixing to distribute the oils.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:59 pm 
Offline
Fair trade, organic mistletoe
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 3507
Location: Toronto
Terry wrote:
Meggs wrote:
Has anyone tried to make them with almond butter? Experiences? Certain brand of almond butter, if you have made them? I'm concerned about the texture/oiliness. I wish I had written down which peanut butter I used last time I made the PB Pillows... I think it was Maranatha, but I can't be certain...


Haven't heard of that sub yet, but give it a shot and let us know.

Just to be safe use creamy roasted almond butter, salted if possible. Give it a good mixing to distribute the oils.

I've done it. They taste amazing but are fairly oily. My mum pretty much cried she loved them so much.

_________________
"I'd rather have dried catshit! I'd rather have astroturf! I'd rather have an igloo!"~Isa

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:18 pm 
Offline
Writes Vegan Haiku
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:09 pm
Posts: 30
Location: VA
I don't bake a lot but have been baking up a small storm to bring lots of goodies to some potluck things next week. So, I made Cherry Almond cookies tonight. They were good but I'm curious about some stuff. Was I supposed to cut up the cherries? They're big (Trader Joe's dried bing cherries). The cookies are big too cause I figure generous tablespoons are closer to cup size. Also, the only slivered almonds I could find were raw. Something tells me that these would have rocked more hardcore with toasting of them. Yes?

Thank goodness all my other meals are coming from Appetite for Reduction.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:27 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:12 pm
Posts: 3831
Location: Canberra, Australia
I have my first ever batch of peanut butter blondies in the oven right now. They smell glorious.

_________________
Recipes. Rants. Raunch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:37 am 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:55 am
Posts: 4221
Location: Halifax, NS
Erinnerung wrote:
I have my first ever batch of peanut butter blondies in the oven right now. They smell glorious.


These are incredible.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:07 am 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 9635
Location: SW Desert, USA
j-dub wrote:
Terry wrote:
Haven't heard of that sub yet, but give it a shot and let us know.

Just to be safe use creamy roasted almond butter, salted if possible. Give it a good mixing to distribute the oils.

I've done it. They taste amazing but are fairly oily. My mum pretty much cried she loved them so much.

I would love to make people cry. I'll give it a try, Terry, since J-Dubs had success. Much mixing will be involved.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:30 am 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:55 am
Posts: 4221
Location: Halifax, NS
Meggs wrote:
j-dub wrote:
Terry wrote:
Haven't heard of that sub yet, but give it a shot and let us know.

Just to be safe use creamy roasted almond butter, salted if possible. Give it a good mixing to distribute the oils.

I've done it. They taste amazing but are fairly oily. My mum pretty much cried she loved them so much.

I would love to make people cry. I'll give it a try, Terry, since J-Dubs had success. Much mixing will be involved.


I'm definitely going to try this too, I live for almond butter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:20 pm 
Online
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:06 pm
Posts: 751
Just made mexican hot chocolate snickerdoodles, first time, in my little convection oven. Taking to a party with mostly omnis tonight. I predict they'll be devoured.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:49 pm 
Offline
Wears Durian Helmet
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:59 am
Posts: 889
Location: Dallas
Yesterday I made the Grapefruit Icebox Cookies, and Gingerbread cupcakes. Both were so good! The gingerbread cupcakes were very gingery so I'll probably cut back a bit on the ground ginger for my family.

_________________
"Y'all can vegan in my face anytime." -choirqueer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:28 pm 
Offline
Writes Vegan Haiku
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:09 pm
Posts: 30
Location: VA
Errata list somewhere? I got the kindle version and it says 2/3 cups flour for the Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles. That looks like it should be "1 2/3 cups."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:29 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10685
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
digifoo wrote:
Errata list somewhere? I got the kindle version and it says 2/3 cups flour for the Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles. That looks like it should be "1 2/3 cups."


hm..that's weird, but it's definitely correct in the book version.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:46 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:34 pm
Posts: 1041
Location: chicagoland-ish suburbs
digifoo wrote:
Errata list somewhere? I got the kindle version and it says 2/3 cups flour for the Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles. That looks like it should be "1 2/3 cups."


It is 1 2/3 cups.

_________________
Gwyneth Paltrow: "I'm superstitious. Whenever I start a new movie I kill a hobo with a hammer."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:03 pm 
Offline
Writes Vegan Haiku
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:09 pm
Posts: 30
Location: VA
Fine in the book but not Kindle version? Bah! That'll learn me :)

Thank you, ismloveyoubobbybrown. Making them tonight.

Edit: Made. And oh my goodness! So good! I like the sneaky spice. It's a different type of cookie for me but am so glad I made them. Hopefully, others feel the same on Monday.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:38 am 
Offline
Huffs Nooch

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:28 pm
Posts: 131
Location: Cambridge, MA
Ok, my first ever batch of PB Pillows just came out of the oven. I bit into one and I may have let out a little moan. THESE ARE SO GOOD. Thank goodness I am giving them away because I might be tempted to eat the whole batch myself. With a glass of soymilk, of course.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:00 pm 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:12 pm
Posts: 652
I make cowboy cookies about once a month and double the batches to give out to family. My grandpa is a widower and hangs out at the senior center and has spread the cowboy cookie love-I got the warm fuzzies yesterday when he said a friend said it's the best cookie she's ever had!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:49 pm 
Online
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:06 pm
Posts: 751
Megbeck wrote:
Ok, my first ever batch of PB Pillows just came out of the oven. I bit into one and I may have let out a little moan. THESE ARE SO GOOD. Thank goodness I am giving them away because I might be tempted to eat the whole batch myself. With a glass of soymilk, of course.

At the party I went to last night, there were some vegan cookies like this, chocolate with peanut butter inside? The hostess made them with me and my husband in mind. She called them PB pillows, and said she got the recipe off the internet. They were great, and it was so unexpected that she thought about sweets for us. We brought some home too!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer