| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Blender Girl
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

I also think this is a poorly worded cookbook but it is very nice. All recipes (mostly) need some sort of blender but it spans juices, smoothies, dips, mains with sauces (ie penang curry, mushroom stroganoff, etc) and desserts. All the recipes are vegan and gluten-free.

Review, recipe and giveaway here:
http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2014/04 ... -giveaway/

Post subject: Re: The Blender Girl
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:07 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I got the cookbook the other day. I have a Vitamix, and I'm always looking to expand beyond my smoothie/salad dressing repertoire. The Blender Girl is very visually appealing, with lots of gorgeous pictures. About 1 in 3 recipes is pictured. The chapters are:
love your blender
healthy ideas to blend in
smoothies and shakes
appetizers, snacks, dips and spreads
salads
soups
the main event
desserts
drinks, juices and tonics
condiments, sauces and creams

There is some good info in the first couple of chapters. The first chapter gives info on choosing a blender, the best way to use your blender to extend its life, etc. The second chapter has info about raw foods, superfoods, soaking, sprouting, making nondairy milks, food combining, alkaline foods.

I haven't made any of the recipes yet, but a couple of things I noticed off the bat is that the type is very small, even looking at the book from counter distance away (like I would if I were cooking), it was a bit difficult to read. I also noticed that some recipes have longish ingredient lists (like a really yummy looking smoothie with 17 ingredients, incl. 4 optional ingredients, and a caesar salad/croutons/dressing with 30 ingredients, many of which are spices but still!).
Some of the recipes I can't wait to try:
edamame dip
ginger-apple-pear butter
asian arugula salad
mental for lentils
dream of spinach soup
watermelon gazpacho
oh wow! baked caramel apples
all the salad dressings
most of the drinks, juices, tonics and smoothies (of course!)

Some of the more involved recipes I wish someone would just make them FOR me. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Watermelon gazpacho sounds like my sort of jam.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:36 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I made the ginger-apple-pear butter, the creamy and crunch spuds (potato salad), asian arugula salad, rich but simple tomato soup. They all turned out great. For some reason the ginger-apple-pear butter seemed particularly magical, and I used all the liquid extracted from it to make salad dressing and a delicious smoothie.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:47 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

The onion herb socca was fantastic! I used carmelized leeks, garlic, parsley and kalamatas. I loved the method of baking it for 10 minutes in a really hot oven. It turned out perfect, was easy and quick to make too. This is the only recipe I've made so far from this book.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:27 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Tonight I made the socca (great idea to add kalamatas, will try that!) which goes really well with her cauliflower soup.
I've also made the ginger-apple-pear butter and the arugla salad and dressing which uses the strained liquid from the butter. Everything has been fantastic so far. I want to try the veggie bake and the chai rice pudding next.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:58 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I've now made the veggie bake (bit too much work for the end result, I thought. I'd rather just have the cauliflower soup); the chai rice pudding (LOVED it); the mango kale salad (pretty good); and the pecan pie. The pecan pie was epic. It's 4 separate recipes - crust, filling, pecan cream, and candied pecans -- but I made the first two the night before to break it up a bit and give it time to set. It has no tofu, margarine, or flour but is totally decadent. The filling has cashews with arrowroot and flax meal to thicken and I thought it came out almost like a vegan cheesecake.

Edited to mention that she calls for 1-1/4 cup of coconut milk and only tells you what to do with 1/4 cup of it. The remaining cup is supposed to go in with the rest of the filling ingredients after you reserve some of the cream for the topping, but this is not mentioned in the recipe. I realized this right after I put the pie in the oven, thinking it was rather thick and noticing I hadn't used all of the coconut milk, and was luckily able to quickly scrape it off and throw it back in the blender!