| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue May 24, 2016 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for best Israeli cookbook (Zahav, Jerusalem ?)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:02 am 
Tofu Pup

I'm looking to buy a great authentic Israeli cookbook, I'm wondering if Zahav or Jerusalem might be good choices even if it's not vegan cookbook, I mean are a lot of recipes vegans, or easy to adapt without meat/dairy ?

Thanks !

Post subject: Re: Looking for best Israeli cookbook (Zahav, Jerusalem ?)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:02 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I got these out of the library a while back and decided to wait for a sale to buy them. They are both good cookbooks from what I can tell (I haven't cooked from them but I lived in Israel until age eleven and from what I know of Israeli cooking, the vegan recipes looked good to me). From what I remember, you will encounter meat and/or fish recipes in each of them, and photographs of those too. So if looking at meat or fish is a deal breaker for you, skip them. I got them both out of the library at different times a while back and haven't made a direct comparison. I no longer remember which one is more authentic to Israeli cuisine -- I want to say Zahav but I'm not sure. They both have some vegan / veganizable recipes but I don't remember which has more. If you can get them out of your library or through interlibrary loan to compare them, I would recommend doing so.

Google Books has previews of both:

Zahav: https://books.google.com/books?id=nGcGCgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Jerusalem: https://books.google.com/books?id=GZkGpG0eybwC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:15 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I do love Jerusalem (the cookbook, although also the city, as I live in it). You need to be prepared for the fact that there are a lot of meat and fish recipes in there, but some you can vegan-ize, some you can make components of for other things, and there are still tons of veggie options. I'm also a big fan of Yotam's "Plenty" even if that one he considers not officially an Israeli cookbook. The influence is definitely from our food here.

It's older, but has been a favorite of mine for over 10 years now....Joan Nathan's "The Food's of Israel Today" She's American but was touring around Israel collecting recipes, some from my favorite restaurants, and gathered them all together in one book. I go back to it again and again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:12 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

jerusalemboheme6 wrote:
It's older, but has been a favorite of mine for over 10 years now....Joan Nathan's "The Food's of Israel Today" She's American but was touring around Israel collecting recipes, some from my favorite restaurants, and gathered them all together in one book. I go back to it again and again.

How vegan friendly is The Foods of Israel Today? It looks really good.

Also, any thoughts on Modern Israeli Cooking by Danielle Oron?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:00 am 
Not NOT A Furry

LFL wrote:
jerusalemboheme6 wrote:

There is a chapter on meat/poultry and another on fish, which I mostly just avoid, but the nice thing about Israeli food is that if it's not a MEAT dish, then it generally doesn't have any meat products in it. There's a decent number of dairy recipes, but generally easily vegan-izable. I've always felt most of the book was vegan friendly or could be easily made so.

Modern Israeli cooking I've actually never heard of....though checking it out now, it looks pretty good.

How vegan friendly is The Foods of Israel Today? It looks really good.

Also, any thoughts on Modern Israeli Cooking by Danielle Oron?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:42 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

jerusalemboheme6 wrote:
There is a chapter on meat/poultry and another on fish, which I mostly just avoid, but the nice thing about Israeli food is that if it's not a MEAT dish, then it generally doesn't have any meat products in it. There's a decent number of dairy recipes, but generally easily vegan-izable. I've always felt most of the book was vegan friendly or could be easily made so.

Modern Israeli cooking I've actually never heard of....though checking it out now, it looks pretty good.

Thanks! That sounds like it has a lot of potential.

If you haven't already, check out Zahav, too. The author's restaurant of the same name is well regarded and he won the James Beard award for Best Chef: Mid-Atlantic which is a pretty big deal.