| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kindle edition - Isa Does It
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:35 pm 
Tofu Pup

Does anyone know what happened with the kindle edition of Isa does it? It is no longer even showing up as upcoming. I tried contacting amazon and they had no info.

Post subject: Re: Kindle edition - Isa Does It
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:18 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

According to the "Pending Deliveries" page within my Amazon account, I pre-ordered the kindle edition of Isa Does It for $14.99 on February 6, 2013 -- so over a year ago. I still haven't received it.

I haven't canceled my pre-order because I'm still holding out hope that the book will eventually be released in an edition compatible with my Kindle Paperwhite (an e-ink device). I haven't bought the print cookbook either, because I have a repetitive strain wrist injury which makes it much easier to use the kindle rather than bigger, heavier books. I'm tempted to cancel the pre-order and put the refund toward the purchase of the hardcover but I know I'll be far more likely to use the book if I wait for a digital edition.

I noticed that a digital edition is available at other ebook stores, but it appears to only be compatible with tablet devices and not with e-ink devices. I don't own a tablet, so that won't work for me.

I really wish we had word on whether an e-ink kindle compatible edition will eventually be released. If the answer is no, it's never going to be issued in that format, at least I would know what to do.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:19 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Maybe you could try contacting the book's publishing company instead of Amazon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:23 pm 
Tofu Pup

Good idea. The publisher is Little Brown. Strangely their website says the book should be available on kindle.

My only guess is amazon may have pulled it because there were problems with the edition. On the B&N website it got 3 very low reviews because the nook version.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:41 pm 

greerh wrote:
Good idea. The publisher is Little Brown. Strangely their website says the book should be available on kindle.

My only guess is amazon may have pulled it because there were problems with the edition. On the B&N website it got 3 very low reviews because the nook version.

Well, it's only compatible with tablet devices like iPads or maybe the Kindle Fire. It won't work on the black and white (eink) devices.

I'm not sure contacting Little Brown will do much good but I'll give it a shot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:49 pm 

Okay I just contacted Hachette Book Group (Little Brown's parent company which the Little Brown website redirected me to). I encourage others to do the same! Here is the contact form page:

Customer service contact form

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:14 pm 
Tofu Pup

Done. Thanks for digging up the contact info. Hopefully if enough people give a shout, they will speed up the process. You can also nudge the publisher from the amazon website.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:43 pm 

I heard from the publisher's customer service department and here's what was said:

"There are currently no plans for this book to be formatted for e-ink devices. On this particular title the author and the publisher want to preserve the design elements and overall vision of the content, and the flow and design of the book will not translate to e-ink."

So, it looks like there will not be a version compatible with my particular kindle. I am canceling my preorder and will give thought to getting the book in hardcover, although that will be harder on my wrists.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:38 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

But it's really not available on any kind of Kindle, right? At least not that I can see on Amazon. I have a Kindle Fire, and I really really wish I could get it. I do have the book, but I would use it a lot more if I had it on my Kindle..

If it IS available, how do I get it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:50 pm 
Tofu Pup

I recomend you email the company. I did it two days ago and they wrote back that there was no plan for an eink copy which didnt answer my question as to a verision for kindle fire. It doesnt make since that there are versions for nook and ipad but not kindle.

There is also a link on the right side of tbe page on amazon where you can request a kindle version.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:59 pm 

I wonder if Amazon may have decided not to carry it since it is not compatible with all their devices? I know at the Sony ebook store (which is no longer up-- Sony has gone out of the ebook business) the book was available for sale but it was stated that it wasn't compatible with e-ink devices.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:49 pm 
Tofu Pup

Bummer, finally got a reply back from the publisher. Here is what they said:
There are currently no plans to make this title available for Kindle. 

Strangely enough it is available for the UK amazon kindle.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Isa-Does-It-Ama ... 39-6456962

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:23 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

LFL wrote:
"...On this particular title the author and the publisher want to preserve the design elements and overall vision of the content, and the flow and design of the book will not translate to e-ink."

I have to agree on this decision on the part of the publisher. There are several design elements for each recipe that function to keep the recipe to basically one page. In an ebook text-only format the recipes would be spread out over several pages and hard to read and therefore harder for the cook to execute well, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:23 pm 
Tofu Pup

I guess some books don't translate to tablet editions. There are 2 comments on Amazon UK and 1 for the german version that it just doesn't work on kindle fire.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:22 pm 

greerh wrote:
I guess some books don't translate to tablet editions. There are 2 comments on Amazon UK and 1 for the german version that it just doesn't work on kindle fire.

Thanks. I guess this answers the question of why Amazon US has not made a kindle version available.

I canceled my pre-order of the digital edition and ordered the print edition of the book.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:19 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

This won't help kindle owners, but if you have an iPad you can buy the ibook. The pages are images of the print book, color backgrounds, different fonts and all. But there's an icon on each page that takes you to a version of the recipe with 2 windows. One is a scrolling ingredient list. The other is step by step instructions, complete with timers. When I bought it the ibook was only $9.99.