| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:30 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I made the gigantoid peanut butter oatmeal cookies for the first time last night and they are very yummy! I didn't actually make mine gigantoid, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:45 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tzippy wrote:
I made the gigantoid peanut butter oatmeal cookies for the first time last night and they are very yummy! I didn't actually make mine gigantoid, though.

Those are good! I've never made them gigantoid either. It ends up only fitting a few into the oven at a time, and sometimes I need all the cookies now!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:51 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Just wanted to comment on some of the things I've made. VWAV was my first vegan cookbook, and I feel I should say I few things which I liked..

The chickpea hijiki sandwiches are awesome. It's the recipe I know off by heart, and it really helps out my fishy cravings. I've made it dozens of times.

Scrambled tofu, it's a good solid recipe, which I pretty much follow each time I scramble my 'fu.

Fronch toast. This is something really special, it tasted just like what I remember french toast to taste like. Chickpeas can do anything I swear!

Strawberry shortcake, now I made these years ago but they went down a treat, I should really give these another go. But I remember it took a far bit of time and involved getting macadamias... which makes my purse hurt.

Orange glazed scones. I ALWAYS ALWAYS fork this recipe up, because it says you can use soya milk instead of creamer, and then proceeds to list soya milk as an ingredient. So then I throw in two lots of milk, and then I'm left with a soup, I should make a note to myself in the book, you'd think I'd learn.No. But by the time I rectify the problem and add extra dry ingredients, they turn out pretty good.

Jerk seitan- My boyfriend really liked this! I had never made anything like this before, and I was new to this kind of cuisine, but I found it really really delicious. Would have been better if I had made the seitan a little less rubbery!

Tempeh sausage and white bean gravy. LOVE THIS. Probably one of my favourites from the whole entire book. I normally make it with the easy biscuits from how it all vegan, because I never have any shortening lying around, and that recipe doesn't call for it but seriously that gravy is mind-blowing. I had never heard of biscuits an gravy being a thing (being a British gal) but now I go crazy for it. Also my tempeh hating boyfriend ate this no problem and LIKED IT. So tempeh haters - Make this!

I need to make more stuff from this book. I've made more from there, but I feel it was so long ago that I don't think I can recall most of how stuff tasted and how I really felt about it. I think I've made comments on this book before... *shrugs*

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:02 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I've been craving the Pad Thai recipe from VWAV so I'll be making it for dinner. So good.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:49 am 
Nailed to the V

Yes, the Fronch Toast really is as amazing as I've heard. Believe the hype.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:46 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I made the bbq pomegranate tofu for dinner, haven't had it for a while but it's one of my favourite recipes from the book, so good! The coconut rice recipe to go with it is also yummy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:35 am 
Like Anal, But Backwards

I made my sister the pad thai and we both loved it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:23 am 

Yesterday I made the broccoli and olive version of the frittata. I added a few tablespoons of chickpea flour and some black salt.
It was really good and I ate the whole damn thing with pesto on top. I don't think it needed the chickpea flour but I'd just bought some so... Fronch toast is on the menu at some point!
Really want to make the pad thai, and also the udon noodle seitan peanut sauce thing. But I'm not a fan of udon noodles... they creep me out in the mouth, so might just try it with some rice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:25 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Finally made the veggie burger. I don't know why it took me so long but man was it gooooood.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:02 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

My partner will be out of town for 10 days, so when this happens, I usually make food he (an omni) has no interest in eating anyways.

This time, I think I am going to try the Fritatta, and the BBQ pomegranate tofu. Flashback to my first vegan cookbook (and one of my favorites!). He also hates anything stroganoffy so I might make that too. I did once and loved it.

It's one of the few perks of cooking only for myself, I can make whatever I want! And cook naked. heh.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:31 pm 

I made the fronch toast... it was alright but the chickpea flour made it a tad bitter. Is it possible I've got a bad batch of chickpea flour? I don't recall it tasting unpleasant.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:33 am 
Like Anal, But Backwards

Could someone send me the recipes for the big peanut butter cookies and the raspberry blackout cake in cups? I have the book but it's the UK edition so everything's in grams and I don't have a set of scales.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Pi_Face wrote:
Could someone send me the recipes for the big peanut butter cookies and the raspberry blackout cake in cups? I have the book but it's the UK edition so everything's in grams and I don't have a set of scales.

Here are the peanut butter cookies:
http://veganexplosion.wordpress.com/201 ... l-cookies/
And the blackout cake:
http://www.food.com/recipe/vegan-raspbe ... ing-166668

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:10 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

The No-Bake Black Bottom- Peanut Butter Silk Pie is probably one of my favorite desserts to make. Ever. Who doesn't love a peanut butter and chocolate combo? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:58 am 
Nailed to the V

Yep. The Best Pumpkin Muffins do live up to the name! Divine!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:10 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I made the veggie burgers today. I really enjoyed them. They fell apart a bit but it was mostly to do with me being clumsy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:24 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

made the veggie burgers. They tasted great but are quite fragile and fell apart easily. Might try with gluten flour next time, instead of the oat flour.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:50 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I finally got a waffle maker!! So made pumpkin waffles. So scrummy!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:40 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Chickpea wrote:

o/t, but mind if i ask where you got it? i keep meaning to bring one from the US but i worry that it would blow a fuse even with an adaptor.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:09 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Try adding some ground black pepper (fresh or from a tin) to the ginger cookie. It sounds weird but it makes the cookies so amazingly spicy and perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:18 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
Chickpea wrote:

o/t, but mind if i ask where you got it? i keep meaning to bring one from the US but i worry that it would blow a fuse even with an adaptor.

I got really lucky & got it from a charity shop for £4.99!
It had a electrical safety test certificate but no instructions. However I just turned it on, it heated up really quickly, I sprayed it with that 1 cal spray & the waffles took about 5 minutes. I had been looking on Amazon before that but everything seemed pretty pricey. Someone told me they have them in their Lidl or Aldi for £20 at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:51 am 
Nailed to the V

slash wrote:
Try adding some ground black pepper (fresh or from a tin) to the ginger cookie. It sounds weird but it makes the cookies so amazingly spicy and perfect.

I just made these again yesterday, but I hadn't yet seen your message so I did not add black pepper. Oh, well, now I'll just have to make them once more the second I run out!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:36 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I've had this book for 7 or 8 years, and despite loving chickpeas and always looking for a new gravy recipe, I just made the punk rock chickpea gravy for the first time tonight. OH MAN. When I first tasted it as it was finishing cooking I thought it was alright but slightly disappointing. And then...something happened after I let it sit for a few minutes while finishing the other food. I could not stop eating it, and it was magical on mashed potatoes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:46 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That gravy is sooooo good. I haven't made it in way too long.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:36 pm 
Semen Strong

The miso gravy for the tofu and potatoes in gravy dish is easy and amazing. My omni husband loves it over everything, especially chxpea cutlets!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next