| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:45 am 
Ninja Master

seitanicverses wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
Blackstrap is much stronger. Their molasses is a bit more like our treacle. I did the same thing with the chilli in the book too.

Yes, I generally prefer what we call Fancy Molasses here (Canada) in my baking. It's a lighter molasses, not as overpowering as blackstrap.

Cool thank you.

I looked in my cupboard and it's not blackstrap I have got, it's just our main chain of HFS' own brand. But Maybe I'll use half the amount it says and see if that works.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:23 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I just bought this book yesterday. I'd been holding off for years because I thought it had the standard vegan recipes that every other cookbook has and wasn't as unique as vcon/IDI/AFR. After going through this thread, I realized that I needed this book.

Very happy with my purchase so far! Just made the carrot bisque. Such a fast and easy pantry meal. I thought it tasted good, nothing mind-blowing at first, but then I kept going back for another bowl...and then another. I'm addicted. I like it with crushed red chili flakes on top for some spice. SO GOOD!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:09 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

Made the garlicky kale to go with potatoes and veggie sausage for dinner except I left out the balsamic vinegar (too expensive) and didn't put the lemon juice on until last minute to stop it separating. It tasted great and I have some leftover for salad for lunch tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:37 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Has anyone made the Red Beets and Black Soybeans soup? Can you tell me how sweet it is? My bf isn't a great fan of the idea of a sweet-ish beet soup.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:08 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

For Thanksgiving I made the Sweet Potato Pie with Three-Nut Topping. I really wasn't thinking & just pressed the crust into the bottom of the pan and neglected the sides. I used walnuts, almonds and pecans in the crust and did the almonds on top. It was pretty easy overall. The filling was yummy and super-smooth. I thought the crust was a tad too sweet, but it balanced pretty well with the filling. I would definitely make this again but cut down on the butter and sugar.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:44 am 
Saggy Butt

I did a search for the Butternut Vindaloo, but found nothing, has no one made it? I saw a Kabocha squash for the first time today but couldn't remember what I'd seen it in and had to wait till I got home to check the cookbooks.

So I thought I'd get a squash, and serve the vindaloo once in a squash and then just eat the leftovers with rice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:23 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

So the Red Beets and Black Soybeans soup was a fail... neither of us liked it. It was certainly very filling because we were sated after just one plate, but it won't be repeated. Too sweet, and the taste just was weird. Adding sriracha helped a bit though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:51 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Has anyone else tried Isa Pizza? I felt adventurous, and wow did it pay off! The sauce is spectacular - I used crushed tomatoes instead of the whole ones, since I already got my hands dirty with the dough. The dough recipe made two pizzas, and the crust was PERFECT. I made one pizza with Daiya, and another one with the recipe for Cashew Cream from the Nirvana Enchilada Casserole in Isa Does It. We put onions, spinach and tempeh cubes on top of the pizzas. I prefer the cashew cream pizza - it was AMAZING!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:28 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Arlyss wrote:
Has anyone else tried Isa Pizza? I felt adventurous, and wow did it pay off! The sauce is spectacular - I used crushed tomatoes instead of the whole ones, since I already got my hands dirty with the dough. The dough recipe made two pizzas, and the crust was PERFECT. I made one pizza with Daiya, and another one with the recipe for Cashew Cream from the Nirvana Enchilada Casserole in Isa Does It. We put onions, spinach and tempeh cubes on top of the pizzas. I prefer the cashew cream pizza - it was AMAZING!

That was my exclusive pizza for a while. I branch out a little now, but that's the one I always go back to.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:04 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Isa pizza is delicious, I'll have to try it again with a cashew cheese sauce.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:25 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I just had the last four slices today for lunch. Still good after 2 days! Definitely going to make it again! (and again and again...)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:16 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

Sometimes I just make the sauce from the pad thai and chuck in whatever vegetables I have.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:26 am 
Nailed to the V

Yesterday I made the Gigantoid Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies, but I threw the whole bowl of batter in a 9x13 inch pan and made bar cookies cuz I was feeling too lazy to form individual cookies. I also threw in a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chunks.

Yum! The edges turned out crispy and delightful and the top is crackly, like the crackly top on a good batch of brownies. I have to restrain myself from eating this stuff out of the pan in big forkfuls. Not that I did that already.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:51 pm 

Mango & Ginger Tofu. So tasty!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:37 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Coconut pancakes with pineapple sauce...whoa. A nice tropical getaway on a blustery winter day!

Made the banana split pudding brownies, omg. So rich and yummy. Those aren't going to last long in this house.

Both were omni approved, as are all Isa recipes in my experience.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:32 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Banana pancakes = amazing!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:56 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Although I love Isa Does It and I need to give Appetite For Reduction some more love, I am currently trying more recipes from VWAV. Last night, I made the White Bean and Roasted Garlic Soup. I did make some changes: I only roasted one head of garlic, I put in ½ tsp white vinegar instead of lemon juice (I have a mental block against buying lemons for some odd reason) and my daughter thought the finished soup a bit thin, so she added some frozen veggies after I pureed the beans and garlic. It was really good even with the changes. I will abide by the recipe next time, just to see what I missed.
To go with the soup, I took Isa's suggestion to go rustic with the bread. I veganized the Irish Soda Bread recipe from Recipes for a Small Planet (I am really dating myself - I remember when this came out!) I used white whole wheat flour, and molasses instead of honey, applesauce instead of an egg AND soured soy milk instead of the yogurt. My daughter liked the finished product, and she is not one to like bread most of the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:35 am 
Tofu Pup

I'm stuck at home due to weather and want to try one of these amazing sounding muffin recipes. Mocha chip most likely or the lemon poppy seed. I don't have soy yogurt, and even if I did go out, it's not at any nearby stores around me. So I'm thinking I need a permanent substitute. I searched the forums and here's what I found-- sub applesauce directly, use 1 c soy milk with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar--I'm guessing similar to lots of Isa's recipes-let it sit for a few minutes, or non dairy milk + cornstarch but no amounts given...Can anyone recommend my best bet related to the muffins in this cookbook?

Thanks! It sounds like this book is well loved...I need to explore it much more.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:40 am 
Tofu Pup

Just realized my neighbor is clearing my driveway and sidewalks with his snowblower! Now I really have to make awesome muffins!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

woodstockgirl wrote:
Just realized my neighbor is clearing my driveway and sidewalks with his snowblower! Now I really have to make awesome muffins!!

That's so nice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:52 pm 
Tofu Pup

Moon wrote:
woodstockgirl wrote:

That's so nice.

Isn't it? I ended up just making chocolate chip scones--the Vegan Brunch recipe. I was short on flour and this has always worked well for me. But I am going to get to these muffins--flavors sound so good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:42 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I made the tahini sauce from the garlicky kale recipe to go along with some falafel (boxed mix) and as usual, it didn't disappoint!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:37 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

beethecookie wrote:
Yesterday I made the Gigantoid Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies, but I threw the whole bowl of batter in a 9x13 inch pan and made bar cookies cuz I was feeling too lazy to form individual cookies. I also threw in a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chunks.

Yum! The edges turned out crispy and delightful and the top is crackly, like the crackly top on a good batch of brownies. I have to restrain myself from eating this stuff out of the pan in big forkfuls. Not that I did that already.

Bee, you're killing me with this very visual description; I've been intending to stay away from baked goods/breads for a bit, after some serious pizza-eating and -making the last few weeks - but I am hankering for some peanut butter oatmeal bar cookies with choc chips now.

I may have to make them - y'know - for the kids...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:53 pm 

I've cooked from VWAV this week:
Garlicy kale & tahini dressing. Lovely.
Italian marinaded tofu. Scrummy.
Ginger winter veg. Delicious.
Maple & mustard potatoes & green beans. OMG!
Curried pea soup. Wonderful. (Although I think I needed to soak my peas next time as a few were a little hard.)
Chickpea casserole. Comfort in a pot! (How did I leave it so long to make this.)
A great week of food.
Thanks Isa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:00 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I made the Millet Polenta with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto. Served it with the Italian Marinated Tofu (but used Tempeh)

I thought this week was the cookbook challenge for your first vegan cookbook...think I was wrong! oh well that's ok, I liked it :)

The millet 'polenta' was tasty! I like millet, always looking for more ways to make it. It did kinda fall apart a little when I fried it up, but I will just use a smaller pan to cool it and make thicker squares. The pesto was GOOOOOOD. I think this would make an amazing raw sauce on its own over....well anything. I did put the basil directly in the food processor instead of chopping up and stirring in.

I think I have made the tofu before, but it has been awhile.It was good with a Tempeh sub. Forgot the white wine though, which I bought SPECIFICALLY for this meal. Do'h

I love this book. So many good recipes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next