| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:30 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I made the Pad Thai! A bit more intensive than the Isa Does It version but sooo delicious! I think I'll make the other version more often, because I don't think it compromises on taste at all, but the lemongrass in this one is definitely something special.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:59 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Anyone else excited for 10 year anniversary edition? I don't have this book yet, so I'm excited for the extra motivation to finally buy the damn thing!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:38 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yes, I dont have it either, partly because I never liked the layout, so I'm really looking forward to the new edition!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:53 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I'm super excited for the new edition. I don't have VWAV and I've been wanting to get it, and the new one is the perfect excuse!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've got the UK version but these days I'd rather have cup measures for most savoury cooking, so I'm looking forward to getting the new edition as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:42 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Made the Chickpea Broccoli casserole. It was rather bland just like the description, but it was comforting. I think next time I'll skip the onions since the texture was off-putting and throw in some garlic instead.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:28 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

The chickpea broccoli casserole has always been one of my favorites from this book because it's so easy and makes great lunch leftovers. Sometimes I get super-lazy and use broccoli slaw and just dump the bag in.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:19 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Does the new version have new recipes and photos? I'm trying to justify buying it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:25 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Is there a list of new recipes that are in the anniversary addition?

I need to re-visit this cookbook. So many yummy things that I haven't made in forever!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:16 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I've been putting off buying this one because of the layout being unappealing to me, too, so I'm super excited to see the new edition!

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:52 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I'm really hoping there will be a Kindle edition of the new VWAV.... If so, I'll get it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:24 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I just made the Peach Cobbler, so so so good! Sadly too good, the whole family adored it, it went round us all twice.
There's still some peaches left, I might have to make a second one and hide it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:47 am 
Ninja Master

dropscone wrote:
I've got the UK version but these days I'd rather have cup measures for most savoury cooking, so I'm looking forward to getting the new edition as well.

Same here. Plus I'm not totally convinced that the conversions are spot on either.

Food & beauty blog: http://alienontoast.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/alienontoast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoZl0Q3szfT7TXQOkVCYypA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:41 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Help please!

I've had HUGE issues with the walnut-banana pancakes, they kept sticking to the pan and I could NOT make one single decent pancake.
Has anyone had the same problem?

(I eventually baked them, and they tasted lovely)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:15 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the punk rock chickpea gravy for the first time today despite having the book for *cough* seven years *cough*. My shiny new 10th anniversary edition has reignited my VWAV enthusiasm! I liked the gravy, its very different to what I would think of as gravy but it was really good. I had it with mashed potato, boiled vegetables and a Fry's chicken-style burger. I have loads leftover so I will either be eating it over the next couple of days or it will go in the freezer. I made the Moroccan tagine yesterday, although I left out some of the spices I didn't have and have some of that leftover too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:06 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I had the same experience when I first made that gravy. Then I realised gravy is like a liquid stew kinda and now I make it all the time.

I think it's a cultural thing (I am in the UK).

Mat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:31 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Here's a thread for 10th anniversary discussion

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=33492

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:32 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Yeah, I would think of gravy as being a thin dark brown sauce rather than the thicker, chunky stew consistency of the punk rock chickpea gravy.

Today I had some gravy left that it looked like I wasn't going to use, and after all the effort of making it I didn't want to waste it, so I decided to add some binder and make it into burgers. I used oat flour, ground flaxseed, a little but of chickpea flour and a little bit of wheat flour to make it into a thick mixture that could be shaped into burgers, and it turned out really well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:44 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made the chocolate chip cookies with quite a few modifications:
- whole wheat pastry flour instead of AP
- replaced a bit of oil with almond butter
- used only coconut sugar instead of mix of white/brown
- cut back on the chocolate chips (I only like a few chocolate chips in my cookies)
- added a bit extra almond milk (the batter was pretty dry from the whole wheat flour and almond butter)

I probably made too many changes to be able to comment on the original recipe, but I will say that these are fantastic. They just came out of the oven and I've already eaten two. I like the nuttiness of whole grain baked goods, and there's a very pleasant coconut background from the coconut oil and coconut sugar.

Thank goodness I halved the recipe, I'm sure I would have eaten the whole batch in an absurdly short amount of time if I hadn't.

This reminds me of my all time favorite chocolate chip cookie, the crispy almond butter chocolate chip cookies from Oh She Glows.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:53 pm 

While the cookies were cooling, I stumbled across the recipe for chickpea and rice soup with a little kale, so I made that for dinner. I skipped the oil/sauteeing step (as I usually do with soups), and I used potatoes instead of celery.

All I can say is, everyone needs this soup in their life. One bowl is SO filling with the rice, chickpeas, cashews, and potatoes.

Then again, maybe I'm full because I ate two of those chocolate chip cookies before dinner...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Falafel wrote:
Help please!

I've had HUGE issues with the walnut-banana pancakes, they kept sticking to the pan and I could NOT make one single decent pancake.
Has anyone had the same problem?

(I eventually baked them, and they tasted lovely)

They always come out perfect for me, but that's because my husband cooks them. He's the pancake expert in the house. I didn't grow up with pancakes so I never learned how to cook them.

Anyway, I got him to share his pancake cooking tips. These apply to any pancakes:

There needs to be enough oil for the pancakes not to stick to the pan, a thin coating of oil if your pan is not a nonstick pan. Make sure the oil is hot before you put the pancakes batter in.

You want the batter thick enough to spread out to about 1/4 inch pancake thickness, so if necessary, thin the batter out with soymilk. The batter needs to be thin enough to spread; if it's not, you'll have to leave them on the grill a lot longer to get them to cook enough. If the batter is too tall, it won't cook through.

You also want to leave the pancakes on the cooking surface long enough so that they won't fall apart before you flip them. A trick that tells you pancakes are getting close to done on the bottom is that air bubbles start to appear at the top.

If you're not sure whether the pancakes are cooked enough, try to slide the spatula just under the outside edge at first and see how that goes.

Use a thin metal spatula to flip the pancakes if you can; it has the advantage of sliding under the cooked bottom of each pancake. But be careful with it, it can tear through the pancakes easily. Plastic spatulas, while thicker, are less likely to tear the pancakes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:46 pm 

I made the chickpea and spinach curry yesterday. I was excited about it after reading all the amazing reviews, but I'm sad to report that this is one of the rare Isa recipes that didn't wow me. It tastes good, but it didn't taste authentic. I also thought it was more time consuming than it was worth.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:39 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I should have searched the forums before trying the crispy peanut butter cookies. Sad cookie fail. :( I had to go buy some ice cream just to crumble them on top. Shame too because they use a lot of peanut butter.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:09 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'm on a mission to make at least 10 recipes from every cookbook that I own this year, and I finally crossed the finish line with VWAV, despite owning it for several years. Yay!

1) Fronch Toast - my favorite, favorite take on French Toast. Great for hangovers, because it's so easy to make!
2) Orecchiette with Cherry Tomatoes and Kalamata Tapenade - really enjoyed this. It's briny, filling, and really easy to throw together.
3) Chocolate Chip Cookies - my omni friends approve! Not my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe, but it's still great and I've made it a few times.
4) Garlicky Kale and Tahini Dressing - love this! One of my favorite ways to serve kale. Lots of garlic, and the tahini dressing is awesome on anything.
5) Millet & Spinach Polenta - okay. I enjoyed it but it didn't hold together for me, and I haven't been compelled to make it again.
6) Tofu Dill Salad Sammiches - these totally surprised me. I'm a little wary of uncooked tofu, and I haven't had great experience with egg-like salads that rely on mustard, but this was great! Love the copious amounts of dill and the bites of red onion. It's not like egg salad at all, but it's an excellent tofu salad. I really loved this piled on an everything bagel with a smear of Kite Hill cream cheese.
7) Mashed Potatoes - so fluffy. It's not very rich, but I suspect it'd be a great vehicle for the chickpea gravy, which is still on my list.
8) White Bean and Roasted Garlic Soup - I loved this! I go gaga for roasted garlic, so this was right up my alley. Incredibly easy to throw together, and pretty filling.
9) Herb Roasted Potatoes - These are great roasted potatoes. I prefer smaller bites, which affects the roasting time. If you don't want the smoke alarm going off, maybe cut the cooking time in half.
10) Curried Tempeh-Mango Salad Sammiches - after I made it, I realized that it's a spin on curried chicken salad, and I went bananas. Delicious!

I especially love how Isa uses tofu and tempeh in familiar ways, while not trying to make them something they're not. I've plowed through Veganomicon, Appetite for Reduction, and Isa Does It many times over, but I still see value for the OG, VWAV. Still on my list are the chickpea gravy, ginger cookies, marionberry lavender scones, and the Brooklyn pad thai.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:59 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

The ginger cookies are amazing. Make them right now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next