| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:31 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

bookwormbethie wrote:
VeganMeredith wrote:
Just made sparkled ginger cookies for a work Christmas thing this week, yummm!!

they are so amazing, right? they are my new favorite cookie! until my VCIYCJ is ready for pick-up at my library ;)

So good! Definitely had them for supper last night ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:23 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

bookwormbethie wrote:
yay, glad to hear about 2 new cookie recipes to try. i'm also allergic to all nuts so i'm glad you had success subbing sunflower butter. i've been eyeing the sunflower and soy butters in the grocery store. they are so pricey though. does your mr ketchup have a preference for any particular brand?

i'm in England, so the brand i used probably isn't available in the US. i could be mistaken, but i seem to recall Trader Joe's had sunflower butter the last time i was there.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thank you so much for that tip! another thing to look for next time i'm there. i pretty much just make a beeline for the giant cartons of soy dream soy milk and then head to the check-out!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
yay, glad to hear about 2 new cookie recipes to try. i'm also allergic to all nuts so i'm glad you had success subbing sunflower butter. i've been eyeing the sunflower and soy butters in the grocery store. they are so pricey though. does your mr ketchup have a preference for any particular brand?

i'm in England, so the brand i used probably isn't available in the US. i could be mistaken, but i seem to recall Trader Joe's had sunflower butter the last time i was there.

OMG, I ♥ the Trader Joe's sunflower butter! I haven't had peanut butter (or any tree nuts) since April, and I really think the sunflower butter tastes a lot like peanut butter. TJ's has it for $4.99 which is a bit pricey, but cheaper than what I've seen at the grocery store and our natural foods store.

(I also picked up some plain sunflower seeds so I can make Isa's mac n' cheeze with sunflower seed cheeze sauce)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:00 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Just made the sparkled ginger cookies minus the sparkle plus chocolate chunks. So good!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:20 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Just made the sparkled ginger cookies minus the sparkle plus chocolate chunks. So good!

Mmmm that sounds amazing! Might have to do that with the next batch I make!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:20 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the sparkled ginger cookies and added in a couple if tablespoons of mixed peel (left over from making mincemeat). Pure Christmas.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:36 am 
Nailed to the V

I made mashed potatoes with spinach and garlic (I used cauliflower instead of potatoes). and the chickpea gravy. YUMMMY

(i'm also making tempeh patties. going to remember to steam it first).

i am also going to make the ginger-raisin bran muffins, but I always soak my raisins in a liquid (not water). this time I soaked it in lemongrass and ginger, just to give it an extra nom nomnom. and ginger pear waffles. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:37 am 
Semen Strong

The Moroccan Tagine is so good. My kidlet loves it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:44 pm 
Nailed to the V

ginger pear waffles = fail :( i don't get why my waffle iron hates this batter.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:19 pm 
Semen Strong

I made the Sunshine Corn Muffins with assorted berries for a playdate and they were so good. Omni nommed and kiddie approved.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:37 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

lavawitch wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
has anyone made the green goddess pizza?
i just did a quick search of this forum and it didnt come up.

it sounds so yummy but also sounds insanely labor intensive

We make it on my birthday. It's insanely tasty and wonderful, but you have to really want it. If you do put in the work, the results are worthwhile.

I've always wanted to make this but have been a bit scared of it, I'll get around to it some day! I made the pizza dough and basic pizza sauce from VVAW yesterday and they were very good, so I trust that Isa knows her pizzas! :)

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:00 pm 
Nailed to the V

We had a pizza-making party yesterday at my house! The Green Goddess Pizza is so amazing! As long as you set aside tons of time and do everything in stages, it's not difficult. It's just time intensive. We have a LOT of leftover green garden puree, though, so does anyone know what else it would be good with? I'm thinking stuffed shells or something similar...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:45 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I just need to express my love for the Matzoh Ball Soup. I make it every time I'm feeling sick and it's awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I *need* to try that recipe. I miss matzo ball soup so much!

I have a cheater box of streit's matzo ball soup (broth powder + matzo meal).... maybe i can look over isa's recipe and adapt it to the box mix i have........

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:48 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

all right, more cookie questions:
i made the chocolate thumbprints tonight for the second time (first time was ~4 years ago, and i only remembered the sugar after all the other ingredients were mixed together). the dough was a lot goopier than i'd remembered - it was like cake batter! i added a few extra tablespoons of flour to firm it up a bit, but it was still pretty difficult and messy to work with. is that normal for this recipe? the ratio of wet to dry ingredients seems a little off for a cookie.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:59 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

This is our go-to cookbook. It's thoroughly worn and messy and has a corner of the cover torn off from our house bunny. Made the Fronch Toast this morning; it never fails to delight.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:22 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

i made the chocolate thumbprints tonight for the second time (first time was ~4 years ago, and i only remembered the sugar after all the other ingredients were mixed together). the dough was a lot goopier than i'd remembered - it was like cake batter! i added a few extra tablespoons of flour to firm it up a bit, but it was still pretty difficult and messy to work with. is that normal for this recipe? the ratio of wet to dry ingredients seems a little off for a cookie.

I don't remember this recipe, but usually the sugar reacts with the fat (oil or butter) to form a sort of caramel so results can be dismal if the sugar goes in later.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yes, hubby and i made the choc thumprint cookies back in november, i think i left a comment about it in this thread. my dough wasn't like cake batter but i do recall it being a bit messy to work with. however, i still was able to roll in into balls, flatten with my palms, etc.... without needing to add anything to the dough. but the efforts were worth it for us because that choc flavor was amazing. i did leave a note on my cookbook page to myself that next time i wouldn't bother with the 'thumbprint' part, it was just a bit too fussy with all the other mess going on ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:52 pm 
Semen Strong

I made them for a bake sale and I thought they were going to be a disaster, but they weren't. They were okay. They weren't super-pretty so they didn't sell as well as I would have liked but they tasted fine. I think I was missing some wow factor - a textural dynamic, a spice factor, anything and these didn't have that for me.

But they may totally be your thing!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:25 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

lavawitch wrote:

I don't remember this recipe, but usually the sugar reacts with the fat (oil or butter) to form a sort of caramel so results can be dismal if the sugar goes in later.

perhaps i should clarify - the first time i made them i almost forgot the sugar, and the dough was a lot easier to work that time. this time i added the sugar at the right time and the dough was like soft gooey fudge. in the end i was able to form the dough into balls & flatten on the cookie sheet, but not without getting chocolaty sludge all over the place (having to keep wetting my hands). after baking, they were rather cakey. the flavor was pretty nice, but i think it's too much effort & mess for a cookie i thought was only okay.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

The legends are true. The Ginger Macadamia Coconut Carrot Cake is like, one of the best things ever. Even unfrosted, it's perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:00 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Oh, thanks for reminding me! I've been meaning to make that cake.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:18 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Made the falafel this evening. Even though the first couple fell apart while cooking they still tasted really good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

The Carrot Bisque is magical. It's the type of recipe I would normally overlook in favor of flashier recipes. But I'm so glad I gave it a second glance and made it, because I can see this going into heavy rotation in my house in the winter months.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next