| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Babychimp91 wrote:
Has anyone made the hazelnut scones? What is hazelnut coffee? I'm so confused. I own the UK version of the book, I might add, maybe that has something to do with it? But I've never heard of hazelnut coffee and I live in the UK!

i am not a coffee drinker, but i found this link. i honestly don't know if this is "good tasting" coffee but most usa supermarkets carry it.

http://www.folgerscoffee.com/coffees/hazelnut-coffee

another link

http://www.wholelattelove.com/GevaliaKa ... nQodSCQAZA

i'm guessing both brands of coffee grounds have hazelnut flavor.....perhaps it's easier to use flavored coffee rather than finding hazelnut extract you know like vanilla extract?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:02 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Babychimp91 wrote:
What is hazelnut coffee? I'm so confused. I own the UK version of the book, I might add, maybe that has something to do with it? But I've never heard of hazelnut coffee and I live in the UK!

it's just hazelnut-flavored coffee. they have it at Whittard and you should be able to find it at some supermarkets. or just use regular coffee. i'm sure it'll be fine either way.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:45 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I have a British edition, and the recipe for Tofu dill salad sandwiches doesn't list any dill. Does the American edition list dill? I happen to have fresh dill in the fridge. I know there are dill flavoured mustards, but, I'm not sure where I'd seen them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:02 am 
Discovered unobtainium

That's a typo! I think it uses 1/3 cup fresh chopped dill. My book is upstairs and I can't get up there right now, but I'll check later when I can if somebody else doesn't first.

I'd add the dill to taste though since dill is sometimes kinda wimpy. I end up adding more, plus a bot of extra Vegenaise.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Thank you! I'll add it to taste, then. I love dill.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:27 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Fronch Toast (even though it smoked the fork out of my kitchen) was so good! The tempeh and white bean sausage patties were a bit mushy, but I can deal with it. Next time, I will add some wheat gluten to firm them up a bit, maybe.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:17 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

The Chipotle, Corn, and Black Bean Stew was pretty good! I was afraid it would be too boring, but the chipotle helps a lot. I used broth instead of water and added more salt, of course. I also topped it with avocado, scallions, and crushed tortilla chips. My only complaint was that there were too many potatoes, but I'm not a huge potato person. If I make it again, I'll halve the amount of potatoes and double the amount of carrots!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:06 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I haven't posted here before but I made the Sweetcorn Chowder and had half today for lunch - the rest is for tomorrow.
It was just so amazing, mmmmm.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:18 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I made the Moroccan Vegetable Tagine last night and it was delicious! I was worried that the cinnamon would be overpowering, but I guess since it wasn't powdered that it was ok! It needed more salt, and I topped it with sriracha, but the flavors were great. Loved all the veggies, too.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:33 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I did the ginger roasted winter vegetables tonight and my Fatman loved them.
I just had a plateful of them, pure heaven.
Yesterday I made the Silky Chickpea gravy and that was lush.
Wish I'd found these books (VWAV and AfR) sooner. So good.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:56 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made the black bean, mushroom and quinoa stuffed peppers and cajun fries for dinner today. I used hot chilli powder for the peppers so I could have done with plain fries rather than cajun fries but it was still pretty good. The stuffed pepper was incredibly filling so I might serve with a salad instead the next few nights.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

made the jerk seitan, subbed soy curls for the seitan. the sauce is awesome. recipe is a total keeper.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:44 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Hey y'all! Would anyone be able to PM me the recipes for the pizza dough, the pizza sauce, the pesto, the basil-tofu ricotta, and Isa pizza? I'm making it on Saturday and totally forgot my book at home, and am currently staying at a family friend's. It'd be much appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:55 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

VeganMeredith wrote:
Hey y'all! Would anyone be able to PM me the recipes for the pizza dough, the pizza sauce, the pesto, the basil-tofu ricotta, and Isa pizza? I'm making it on Saturday and totally forgot my book at home, and am currently staying at a family friend's. It'd be much appreciated!

I'll do it!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:19 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i plan to make the chickpea-hijiki salad sammiches tonight for dinner (page 106) except i'm leavin the hijiki part out, so it will just be like a chickpea "egg salad" sammich rather than "tuna fish."

i'm not sure i'm keen on using a potato masher to mash up all the chickpeas. i was thinking, although it would be a bit more time consuming, simply to cut each chickpea in half. i thought it might be nice to have a bit of texture in the chew rather than it being more mushy squishy???

anyone else make this?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:16 am 
Level 7 Vegan

bookwormbethie wrote:
i plan to make the chickpea-hijiki salad sammiches tonight for dinner (page 106) except i'm leavin the hijiki part out, so it will just be like a chickpea "egg salad" sammich rather than "tuna fish."

i'm not sure i'm keen on using a potato masher to mash up all the chickpeas. i was thinking, although it would be a bit more time consuming, simply to cut each chickpea in half. i thought it might be nice to have a bit of texture in the chew rather than it being more mushy squishy???

anyone else make this?

i've made it once or twice. it's good, but the texture of the hijiki is a little weird, so i'd probably use nori instead. no idea what it would be like the way you're planning it, though.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:26 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

bookwormbethie wrote:

anyone else make this?

Mashing chickpea with a potato masher definitely still leaves a lot of texture! At least, my masher does. The thought of you cutting each chickpea in half is making me cringe.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

anyone else make this?

i've made it once or twice. it's good, but the texture of the hijiki is a little weird, so i'd probably use nori instead. no idea what it would be like the way you're planning it, though.

I think it'll be just fine, a bit tamer than the not-deviled egg (chickpea) salad from vegan sandwiches save the day. i'm confident that leaving out the hijiki will still make this a tasty sandwich.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

allularpunk wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

anyone else make this?

Mashing chickpea with a potato masher definitely still leaves a lot of texture! At least, my masher does. The thought of you cutting each chickpea in half is making me cringe.

yeah, that was a bit of a crazy idea. my hubby would prefer a softer texture so i'm definitely going to use the potato masher.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:06 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

made chickpea-hijiki salad sammiches without the hijiki. total awesomeness.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:23 am 
Nailed to the V

The Marinated Tofu with the Asian flavors is soooo good! I keep putting it on giant salads for my lunches and it is just addictively scrumptious.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:32 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Shukriyya wrote:
VeganMeredith wrote:

I'll do it!

Thank you soooo much!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The chocolate chocolate chip pancakes.... DIVINE!!! I made them with the almond extract today and I may have died and gone to pancake heaven.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:41 pm 
Nailed to the V

made Isa Pizza
YUM

i got confused with the mound part. so were you supposed to swirl it all together (i did). or leave it all mound-y).

also: my crust burned. i blame the cornmeal.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:26 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the stroganoff last night (using the seitan recipe from Veganomicon). I left out the mushrooms and subbed a cup of cranberry juice for the red wine (with a dash of vinegar). My kids really liked this. I was surprised, because when I added the ½ cup nooch to the sauce, I wasn't sure it was going to work; it smelled kind of funny. But work it did. I might go home from work and eat the leftovers!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next