| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:20 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
Chickpea wrote:
I finally got a waffle maker!! So made pumpkin waffles. So scrummy!

o/t, but mind if i ask where you got it? i keep meaning to bring one from the US but i worry that it would blow a fuse even with an adaptor.

I got my one in aldi and it works perfectly. Keep a look out for it because they have it every few weeks and it is fairly cheap too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:14 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

made the garlicky kale last nite as a side dish (using a bit of veg stock instead of water) and didn't make the sauce since i didn't have any tahini and thought subbing sunflower butter might have been a bit too weird. but OMG this was really good, simple, but soooo good! hubby ate his whole serving!

the only thing different we did was we lidded the skillet for a few minutes to help trap steam and soften the kale a bit.

i bought curly leaf kale but next time i will try dino kale, i'm sure it will be much easier to wash!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:38 am 
WELFARIST!

bookwormbethie wrote:
made the garlicky kale last nite as a side dish (using a bit of veg stock instead of water) and didn't make the sauce since i didn't have any tahini and thought subbing sunflower butter might have been a bit too weird. but OMG this was really good, simple, but soooo good! hubby ate his whole serving!

the only thing different we did was we lidded the skillet for a few minutes to help trap steam and soften the kale a bit.

i bought curly leaf kale but next time i will try dino kale, i'm sure it will be much easier to wash!

That dish is fantastic, but if you get the chance, make the sauce! It is out of this world!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

allularpunk wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

That dish is fantastic, but if you get the chance, make the sauce! It is out of this world!

will try, have a hard time finding tahini at a reasonable price. however, our grocery store recently started carrying the joyva brand (roasted i think?) at a reasonable price, but none of the tins have expiration dates on them which i find completely bizarre. what do you use??

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:31 am 
WELFARIST!

My friend has roasted tahini, and I don't really like it. It tastes too much like peanut butter. I get mine from a corner market in my neighborhood. The owner is Middle Eastern, so they have a decent selection of Middle Eastern foods and ingredients. I don't know what brand it is, but it's a big white plastic jar with a blue and red label and it says Tahini Extra, but the rest of the writing is Arabic. Anyway, it's a big jar and I pay about $8 for it. Maybe try an ethnic market for your tahini? I agree that it is prohibitively expensive at the regular grocery store. Plus mine only has the roasted kind now. Alternatively, if you have Amazon Prime, you can get some on there for between $8 and $12, and the shipping would be free.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:06 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

We made pear & cranberry tart. Oh wow, it was so delicious. The flavours are just awesome.
Also the Chipotle, sweetcorn & black bean stew. Yum, yum yummy!
I can't believe it's taken me so long to make these two...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:18 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the Best Pumpkin Muffins yesterday for my husband's office Halloween potluck. Most aptly-titled Isa recipe so far. I took one bite and think I used just about every good adjective that you can use to describe a muffin. I'll promptly be throwing out all other pumpkin muffins recipes now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:15 pm 
WRETCHED

Neither my husband nor I care much for gravy but I decided to try the punk rock gravy to go with a tofurkey roast. It is good!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:18 pm 
Tofu Pup

Zula wrote:
I made the Best Pumpkin Muffins yesterday for my husband's office Halloween potluck. Most aptly-titled Isa recipe so far. I took one bite and think I used just about every good adjective that you can use to describe a muffin. I'll promptly be throwing out all other pumpkin muffins recipes now.

Oh thanks for reminding me of these. I have a bunch of pumpkin (which I never have) and am looking for what to use it in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:26 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

bex wrote:
Zula wrote:

Oh thanks for reminding me of these. I have a bunch of pumpkin (which I never have) and am looking for what to use it in.

No problem, hope you enjoy them!

I made the Curried Split Pea Soup to serve over Jasmine rice for lunches this week. I'm eating it at cool/room temperature right now and it's quite yummy. It's pretty darn inexpensive, super-easy to make and has quite a lot of servings!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Those pumpkin muffins are delicious, but they're SO SWEET, more like cupcakes than muffins.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:20 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

bookwormbethie wrote:

This is the recipe that taught me how to cook kale when I was living in my first post college apartment! I had no idea how to cook or what I was doing back then & I remember feeling so proud of myself for making and eating kale. It's been a deep love affair ever since. And the tahini dressing to go with it! So good. Man, I haven't made kale with tahini in so long now, I'm going to have to make it soon!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:08 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I kind of hope the 'first vegan cookbook you bought' is chosen for the cookbook challenge...since this was my first one! Still quite a few things I have NOT made in it, but want to.

For those of you looking for Tahini, try and find an ethnic (Specifically middle-eastern) store. I get mine for like $3.49 a jar, and its a pretty big jar. Worth a drive to stock up. That stuff does not go bad for a loooooong time. all the oil that rises to the top. Don't get the roasted kind though. It tastes...well roasted and it does go bad a lot quicker.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:13 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

creep wrote:
Those pumpkin muffins are delicious, but they're SO SWEET, more like cupcakes than muffins.

yeah! they are delish, but if you want more of a breakfasty thing, you can cut the sugar in half or even a little less than half. I've done that a few times.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:03 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

linanil wrote:
Neither my husband nor I care much for gravy

FREAKS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:59 am 
Shopped till she dropped

ijustdiedinside wrote:
creep wrote:

yeah! they are delish, but if you want more of a breakfasty thing, you can cut the sugar in half or even a little less than half. I've done that a few times.

Yes! I always cut the sugar and oil in half. Last time I subbed half wheat flour to make them a little more substantial. So good!

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:06 am 
Ninja Master

kara kara wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
creep wrote:

Yes! I always cut the sugar and oil in half. Last time I subbed half wheat flour to make them a little more substantial. So good!

When I made these, they tasted really strongly of molasses, it was overpowering! Even though I followed the recipe correctly.

I know they're not meant to taste like that because rachell37 made them for our camping trip a couple of years ago and they were awesome! So I have no idea if my molasses was the wrong type or what.

I might try making them again and leaving it out.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:12 am 

Were you using what we call molasses? It's not quite the same thing is it?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:27 am 
Ninja Master

I don't know if it's different? I probably used blackstrap - is that the wrong thing?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:22 am 

Blackstrap is much stronger. Their molasses is a bit more like our treacle. I did the same thing with the chilli in the book too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:28 am 
Ninja Master

I might try them with treacle then and see if that's better. I'm sure I asked Rachel back when I made them and we'd used the same thing. It's weird.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:42 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I made the green thai curry for dinner tonight with some substitutions (no red pepper => mushrooms; no lime => lemon; no lemongrass => just left it out) and I loved it! My one problem was that I cut the tofu triangles way too big and had to use a fork to eat them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:26 pm 
Nailed to the V

I finally got a waffle iron (of my own). it's a circle belgian one, but i am sad that mine doesn't go into all the crevices. sad.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:48 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've made the pancakes so many times the page is all mangled and falling out of the book. Still amazing. Love the touch the cinnamon gives. And she's right - they ARE like the diner at 2AM.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:01 am 
WELFARIST!

Efcliz wrote:
Blackstrap is much stronger. Their molasses is a bit more like our treacle. I did the same thing with the chilli in the book too.

Yes, I generally prefer what we call Fancy Molasses here (Canada) in my baking. It's a lighter molasses, not as overpowering as blackstrap.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next