| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:03 am 
Nailed to the V

VeganVamp wrote:
beethecookie wrote:
Yesterday I made the Gigantoid Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies, but I threw the whole bowl of batter in a 9x13 inch pan and made bar cookies cuz I was feeling too lazy to form individual cookies. I also threw in a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chunks.

Yum! The edges turned out crispy and delightful and the top is crackly, like the crackly top on a good batch of brownies. I have to restrain myself from eating this stuff out of the pan in big forkfuls. Not that I did that already.

Bee, you're killing me with this very visual description; I've been intending to stay away from baked goods/breads for a bit, after some serious pizza-eating and -making the last few weeks - but I am hankering for some peanut butter oatmeal bar cookies with choc chips now.

I may have to make them - y'know - for the kids...

I'll be the devil on your shoulder...do it! I would say I made them for the kids, but mine both happen to hate peanut butter (freaks!). My whole 9x13 pan took, I believe, between 35 and 40 minutes. Just do the toothpick trick in the center. I think they'd be really good slightly underdone, too, though. Gooey-ish in the middle and melty...okay, I'll stop now.

That millet polenta sounds amazing. How come I don't remember ever seeing it in there before?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:40 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

beethecookie wrote:
VeganVamp wrote:
Bee, you're killing me with this very visual description; I've been intending to stay away from baked goods/breads for a bit, after some serious pizza-eating and -making the last few weeks - but I am hankering for some peanut butter oatmeal bar cookies with choc chips now.

I may have to make them - y'know - for the kids...

I'll be the devil on your shoulder...do it! I would say I made them for the kids, but mine both happen to hate peanut butter (freaks!). My whole 9x13 pan took, I believe, between 35 and 40 minutes. Just do the toothpick trick in the center. I think they'd be really good slightly underdone, too, though. Gooey-ish in the middle and melty...okay, I'll stop now.

Ha ha! You didn't have to twist my arm: I made them that nite, LOL. Choc chips were perfect, and the uncooked batter was beyond description: peanut butter and oatmeal are a match made in heaven. My daughter said they are the best cookies I've ever made, and my teenage son walked in and said, "I don't know what you just made, but whatever it is, it's bomb."

Note, I used a mix of GF flours as recommended in a peanut butter cookie recipe by Laurie Sadowski/Allergy-Free Cook. It was fab, and no one had an idea it was GF.

Thx again for the idea!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:32 am 
Nailed to the V

You're welcome! And thanks for letting us know that GF worked well, VeganVamp, because sometimes I like to mix it up and use gluten-free flours. I'm glad your family liked this!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:12 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made chickpea and spinach curry this evening. I subbed frozen spinach for fresh because I didn't get enough fresh. It is really nice. I was worried it would end up too dry since there is so little liquid in it but it was fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:29 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

daisychain wrote:
I made chickpea and spinach curry this evening. I subbed frozen spinach for fresh because I didn't get enough fresh. It is really nice. I was worried it would end up too dry since there is so little liquid in it but it was fine.

I made this yesterday! I like it but I had too much liquid.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

Raspberry Blackout Cake. Make it. Even if you think you hate the taste of raspberry, make it. That's all I have to say.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:12 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the orange scones last night. I'm sorry I waited so long to make them. They are so incredibly good. I added chocolate chunks to them and they were perfect. Believe it or not I never have had a chocolate/orange combo before. I was always more of a chocolate pureist. :-) But I loved the combo and will be making these again real soon. I think I might switch it up and use lemon juice/zest and add blueberries next time. Which could be this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:50 pm 

This week I've made:
Stewed tofu & potatoes in miso gravy. Yummy comfort on a plate.
Black bean & quinoa croquettes with mushroom sauce. I can't believe I made croquettes!!! I feel like a real cook now!
Roasted butternut soup. Lovely.
I've really enjoyed exploring a few more recipes from this book.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:29 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have made the Punk Rock Chickpea Gravy twice now. I think it has to be my favorite gravy EVER - even better than the old omni stuff I used to eat. One thing - I found that mashing the chickpeas with a fork just simply took too long, so I put them in my food processor. This worked well for me, and the gravy is a bit smoother. Definitely tastes fabulous with mashed potatoes!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:39 am 

Today I made scrambled tofu for the first time ever using the VWAV recipe. I'd never bothered before because I never liked the taste of scrambled chickens' eggs anyway before I was vegan, but I love tofu and spices so thought I'd give it a go. It was so good! Really filling and yum :)

I didn't have any mushrooms but did put in the optional grated carrot, and served it with a generous serving of homemade guacamole - excellent :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:43 pm 
Saggy Butt

Broccoli chickpea casserole and garlic roasted brussel sprouts are the only recipes that I have made from this book. I'm a beginner cook and some of the recipes scare me lol. I do plan to use this book more when I learn more cooking terminology. That is what Isa Does It is for right now!

But they were both easy and wonderful. I make the broccoli chickpea when I need a meal for the week. (I'll double it.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:54 pm 
Saggy Butt

After like a decade of owning this book I finally made the raspberry blackout cake. Phenomenal! All the omnis loved it. I don't know what I was waiting for.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:59 pm 
Semen Strong

Chickpea wrote:
This week I've made:
Stewed tofu & potatoes in miso gravy. Yummy comfort on a plate..

That miso gravy is SOOOOOO easy and delicious. I throw it on anything and my omni husband adores it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:34 am 
Tofu Pup

I'm making the Coconut Heaven Cupcakes and the "Frosting" is staying an icing consistency and not getting creamy/fluffy. I used Earth Balance instead of margarine and I suspect this is the problem. Anyone know how to save it?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Crissy wrote:
I'm making the Coconut Heaven Cupcakes and the "Frosting" is staying an icing consistency and not getting creamy/fluffy. I used Earth Balance instead of margarine and I suspect this is the problem. Anyone know how to save it?

Earth balance is the vegan margarine everyone uses. Usually if it's not fluffy enough, it needs less liquid or more powdered sugar. Or if you worked it too long, your margarine or shortening could be melting?

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:07 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

New bf wanted to try more vegan food (he's a very open-minded omni), so I let him borrow VWAV to pick out a recipe we could make for dinner on Friday. He chose Stewed Tofu and Potatoes in Miso Gravy, and really liked it! We had it with some crusty bread on a rainy evening and it was really actually pretty lovely. This recipe is so simple and good and non-threatening (who doesn't love gravy!?), I'm going to need to make it more often.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:34 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I made my first ever tofu scramble using the recipe in VWAV yesterday. I did not have mushrooms, plus I added some miscellaneous vegetables I had in my freezer. I have to say that I was not crazy about it. I think it was the spice blend - too much cumin for my taste. I think I would try again either cutting back or omitting it entirely.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:06 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ive been eyeing the Green Goddess Garlic pizza in this book for awhile but 2 things keep me from making it time and time again:

1. it seems like it will take literally forever to take
2. it seems like an expensive pizza to make

what are peoples' thoughts? is it worth the time and money?
why does it call for two pizza doughs? when we make pizza we usually just buy premade dough from the grocery store. would one be enough?
are you making 2 pizzas with this recipe? it seems like A LOT of the puree plus you also have pesto.

could i make half the puree? it seems like a huge amount

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:16 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The purée is a lot. You can easily halve it, or even less.

It's a really great pizza, but too much work when there are so many other tasty pizzas to make and eat. Or maybe I'm just lazy. Or both.

This is a recipe for birthday or something when mom asks "what do you want for dinner?" and it's sort of a fun family project.

I like making just one or two components.

ETA: I used to make pizza dough from this recipe or the bread machine recipe book, but the no knead from Julie Hassan's pizza book is amazing. It practically makes itself and is delicious with nice texture. Much cheaper than buying dough and really not much more work. And I'm lazy!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:32 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

it's definitely gonna be a weekend recipe for me. maybe this upcoming weekend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:07 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I made the Peach Cobbler last night. I only had half the peaches called for, but forgot to halve the filling ingredients. Whoops. It turned out absolutely delicious anyway. Pretty sweet, but mostly balanced out by the cinnamon, etc.

The dough topping was very tasty by itself, but I think overall I prefer more of a crisp-type topping with lots of crunchiness for contrast.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:34 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LisaPunk wrote:
ive been eyeing the Green Goddess Garlic pizza in this book for awhile but 2 things keep me from making it time and time again:

1. it seems like it will take literally forever to take
2. it seems like an expensive pizza to make

what are peoples' thoughts? is it worth the time and money?
why does it call for two pizza doughs? when we make pizza we usually just buy premade dough from the grocery store. would one be enough?
are you making 2 pizzas with this recipe? it seems like A LOT of the puree plus you also have pesto.

could i make half the puree? it seems like a huge amount

The recipe makes two and doesn't take much longer, so you could always roll one into a ball and freeze it for later. We always go ahead and bake two pizzas though, one right after the other on a pizza stone. I put whatever toppings I want on one, and my husband does the same with his, and then we both have half a pizza for ourselves the next day too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:44 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i might just make a half then. i will probably still buy premade dough and we actually have a pizza maker rather than a pizza stone (though i guess that doesnt make much of a difference)

i will probably regret not making two as the recipe sounds soooo tasty!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:01 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so i attempted to make the no bake peanut butter silk pie this weekend and it was a ginormous fail. it did not set up at all even though it was in the fridge for over 24 hours since me and my husband both felt ill after dinner so decided pie would be a bad idea.

the filling has the texture similar to tapioca (but smaller) because of all these little agar balls.

i did a quick forum search and it looks like the book is supposed to say agar FLAKES instead of just agar?

i used powder and it seems like that was the fail part.

can someone confirm that? the flavor is good so i might try to make it again some day

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:30 am 
Like Anal, But Backwards

I had a dream last night about the mango tofu (probably induced by the mango curry tofu burger I had in Berlin) so I should probably make it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next