| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cookbooks you got rid of
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:02 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

What cookbooks did you buy that you ultimately ended up giving away or donating?

When I first became interested in vegan cooking, I went on cookbook-buying binge for about a year. The ones below are the ones I ultimately got rid of, which was a waste of around $250. Ouch. I still buy a lot of cookbooks now, but I do a lot more research on the author/recipes before I buy it.

The Tropical Vegan Kitchen - Donna Klein
Healthy South Indian Cooking - Alamelu Vairavan
Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure - Lorna Sass
The Kind Diet - Alicia Silverstone
The Asian Vegan Kitchen - Hema Parekh
The Indian Vegan Kitchen - Madhu Gadia;
The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook - Louise Hagler
Go Dairy Free - Alisa Marie Fleming
Vegan Fire & Spice - Robin Robertson
The Garden of Vegan - Tanya Barnard & Sarah Kramer
How It All Vegan! - Tanya Barnard & Sarah Kramer
Modern-Day Macrobiotics - Simon Brown
A Taste of Mexico: Vegetarian Cuisine - Kippy Nigh
The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook - Jo Stepaniak
The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics - Jessica Porter
Unprocessed - Chef AJ
Vice Cream - Jeff Rogers
Whole Grain Breads by Machine or Hand - Beatrice Ojakangas
The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook - Beth Hensperger

Post subject: Re: Cookbooks you got rid of
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:22 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

So far my collection is still small enough that I haven't started weeding anything out yet!

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:59 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I have a book hoarding problem. I even have trouble letting go of books I have never used. I do have a small stack I want to donate to the library though.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:22 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I think the only two I don't ever use are Another Fork In the Trail, which is more geared towards outdoor cooking while camping, and Happy Herbivore, which I just don't care for.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:24 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Oh man, I've gotten rid of at least 50-75 over the years. Some of them I outgrew, but most of them were bought in an aspirational stupor (which used to happen about every 6 months) and I just did not use them. I'm down to 15 that I love and use regularly. I couldn't list all the ones I gave away if I wanted to, but I think it says something that I have bought all of Isa's books and the only Isa one I gave away was Appetite for Reduction (turns out I NEED pictures). Her style aligns with my cooking style better than any other author.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:31 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I had a lot of hippie vegetarian ones from the 70s that I've purged and a lot of moose wood books. I realized I don't like lightly seasoned food so happy herbivore and Robin Robertson books have also found more loving homes. Oh yeah and the uncheese books. I could never make the recipes taste like I wanted/hoped!

Some in your list I would trade you for though!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:23 am 
WRETCHED

I still have omni cookbooks. I have gotten a rid of a few cookbooks but I should get rid of more.

I regret buying Rachel Ray cookbooks... 30 minutes or less, as long as you have an army to help you.

There are also some 30 minute or less vegan cookbooks I bought that I regret, just because of the heavy reliance on meat/dairy subs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:03 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I also got rid of "The Kind Diet" and the last two Happy Herbivore ones (which were just recycled recipes from her old cookbooks because she was phoning it in to get rid of her contract). There were some German ones i got rid off, all the Raw food ones, and most omni ones I had.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:24 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I haven't gotten rid of any yet but should. I have a few on the shelve I never used. Usually bought on the spur of the moment when someone (usually here) raves about it and it sounds like I just have to have it. What comes to mind is Tal Ronan's but don't recall the name, 500 vegan recipes, new farm, Fran Costigan's great dairy free, Hanna's my sweet vegan and probably a few more. Then there are those that I outgrew and not use anymore, the how it all vegan trilogy for example. There are many more I'm sure.

I'm afraid that if I do get rid of them it'll just open space on the shelves for new ones! That I may never use...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:25 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've gotten rid of some but most were non-vegan cookbooks I purchased before going vegan. It was a long time ago and I don't remember most of the titles! Generally speaking, I only get rid of cookbooks when I move. One of the reasons I try to buy all my cookbooks in digital editions these days is the limited space I have for print books.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:52 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I am reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up and know cookbook purging is in order but I really do like a lot of them. Do they all spark joy? No. Do I have too many? Yes.

I have been pushing more towards ebooks but now I wonder whether I will simply amass too many ebooks. HA! I wish it were easier to search them, but alas.

So, in summary, I have gotten few of very few cookbooks. I lent Vegan For Her to a coworker and simply may never get it back. I lent 365 Vegan Smoothies to a friend but got it back.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:37 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

linanil wrote:
I still have omni cookbooks. I have gotten a rid of a few cookbooks but I should get rid of more.

I regret buying Rachel Ray cookbooks... 30 minutes or less, as long as you have an army to help you.

There are also some 30 minute or less vegan cookbooks I bought that I regret, just because of the heavy reliance on meat/dairy subs.

i had to laugh at this. like I love how Isa Does it (or other recipes that have times in it), is actually 30 minutes.
Rachael Ray's 30 minutes is like 30 minutes.... 2 hours later.

(I gave away most of my omni books, and diet books).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:48 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I had Vegan Cooking for Carnivores and returned it within 24 hours. Half of it called for brand-name American goods or had laughably simple recipes. Lack of localisation, or at least a lack of options ("if you can't find X, try using Y") is a bit of a killer for me. It took me a long time to realise that a "cup" measurement is a fixed thing, not just using whatever cup you find and going with that as we don't really use them here...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:32 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think the only vegan cookbook i ever got rid of was Happy Herbivore because other than the "tuna" salad recipe which i love i found all the recipes to be bland.
i gave it to my mom and she likes it.
i also gave my mom a few other cookbooks from my collection but they were old vegetarian ones wiht a lot of dairy in them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I only got rid of a few and I gave those to some people on theppk! I only ever got rid of them due to space constraints and the fact that I don't really cook like I used to.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:31 pm 

Gulliver wrote:
It took me a long time to realise that a "cup" measurement is a fixed thing, not just using whatever cup you find and going with that as we don't really use them here...

Where is "here"? You don't have to answer, I'm just curious... I had no idea measuring cups weren't in use everywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:03 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LFL wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
It took me a long time to realise that a "cup" measurement is a fixed thing, not just using whatever cup you find and going with that as we don't really use them here...

Where is "here"? You don't have to answer, I'm just curious... I had no idea measuring cups weren't in use everywhere.

In alkmost all of < Most of the world, really. I think a cup is only used in the US, Canada, Australia, I think. And people who try to cook from US households, I guess. Often with cookbooks that use cups I weigh the cups and later cook by weight.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:48 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I recently returned Street Vegan (Cinnamon Snail). It was a beautiful book, but it was heavy on breakfast recipes and the majority of recipes seemed very time consuming which I just can't utilize at this point in my life with work, kids, etc. A lot of donut recipes, and I'm not a donut lover either - I'd rather have salt over sweet any day. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:51 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

VeganinBerlin wrote:
LFL wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

In almost all of of the world, really. I think a cup is only used in the US, Canada, Australia, I think. And people who try to cook from US households, I guess. Often with cookbooks that use cups I weigh the cups and later cook by weight.

sorry, I meant to edit not to quote.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:00 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I've gotten rid of quite a few and need to get rid of some more. I'm the queen of buying a book and only cooking a few items from it and then it takes up shelf space that i don't have to spare. Most recently I have gotten rid of:

Vegan Vittles
The Uncheese Cookbook
Viva Vegan
Authentic Chinese Cuisine (or whatever the BCG one was called - I was excited about that book however most of the recipes called for sherry and my hubby hates sherry)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:50 pm 
Tofu Pup

Funny timing, on Sunday I put a stack on my dining room table to bring to a donation box. I need more space for all my new ones! There's nothing wrong with the ones I'm getting rid of, but the ones without pics just don't get used.

500 Vegan Recipes
1000 Vegan Recipes
ones like that - I can't remember at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:28 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

masuphl333 wrote:
Funny timing, on Sunday I put a stack on my dining room table to bring to a donation box. I need more space for all my new ones! There's nothing wrong with the ones I'm getting rid of, but the ones without pics just don't get used.

500 Vegan Recipes
1000 Vegan Recipes
ones like that - I can't remember at the moment.

Funnily enough, I got rid of both those books too due to the overwhelming number of recipes and lack of pictures. However, both of those books later went on sale for $2.99 on Amazon in e-book form, so I re-purchased them.

Interestingly though, I have actually used 1000 Vegan Recipes a TON since buying it again! I've made about 50 recipes from it total, and it is now one of my most used cookbooks. I originally didn't care for it because it was big and picture-less and the recipes seemed kind of boring, but once I was able to search through it easily using the Eat Your Books website, I discovered a lot of absolutely delicious and easy recipes! The recipes didn't catch my attention, but over the past 2 years, I've realized how awesome this book every time I need to use up ingredients and make an easy delicious recipe.

These are my favorites:

Pasta salad with grilled summer vegetables - sounds boring, but SO flavorful with freshly grilled summer veggies!
Summer berries with fresh mint - seems like a simple/obvious combination, but it was such a lovely breakfast
Grilled vegetable skewers with charmoula sauce - so tasty, got rave reviews from omnis
Chinese "chicken" salad - I originally would have never looked twice at this salad, but I've made it about 5 times in the past 3 months
Refried bean and salsa quesadillas - a nice use of pantry ingredients and very tasty
Chocolate coconut brownies - THE BEST, EVER. MAKE THIS.
Blueberry peach crisp - I made this for a brunch I hosted to use up some fruit in the fridge. It was delicious and was devoured by all.
Pineapple-glazed tempeh and sweet potatoes - Another recipe I initially would have skipped over. But it's one of the best things I made last year. Used farro instead of tempeh.
Ratatouille lasagna - Seemed boring. BUT OMG this is the best lasagna I've ever had. The veggies are just incredible here.
Artichoke pesto with toasted gnocchi - very tasty and easy
Granola Infused Oatmeal - such an easy way to make morning oatmeal a bit special. the crunch is nice.
Asian Flavors Fruit Bowl with Mojito Dressing - I devoured this whole thing within 24 hours.
Garden patch sandwiches on multigrain bread - has become one of my lazy day staples.

I guess I should cross-post what has apparently turned into a cookbook review into the 1000VR thread.

I still haven't made any more recipes out of 500 Vegan Recipes, though I do wonder if I'd use it more if it was indexed on Eat Your Books.

Anyway, I guess this re-discovery of 1000VR makes me wonder if I made any mistakes with the other cookbooks I'd initially given away...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:46 pm 
Tofu Pup

THANK YOU for that information! I'm glad I saw this in time! You've changed my mind on that one for sure! I will make those brownies first I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:31 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

masuphl333 wrote:
THANK YOU for that information! I'm glad I saw this in time! You've changed my mind on that one for sure! I will make those brownies first I think.

Glad to be of service :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:52 pm 

I really want to make those brownies now too.