| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Peace and Parsnips
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:03 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I ordered this on impulse while browsing around Amazon UK. I haven't made anything yet but am very happy with it. It's a big hardback book and is very pretty. The author is Welsh so it is UK weights and measures and you can tell from a lot of the recipes too. The book is absolutely crammed full of pictures of the author; he makes Anyi and Chloe seem camera shy! On the plus side his writing is good, he is obviously very well travelled and this comes through in his recipes. As well as all the author pictures there are lots of good pics of the food and the beautiful welsh countryside. It doesn't use any store bought meat replacements at all, there is the odd call for soya yoghurt or puff pastry but most things are freshly made. There is good use of a lot of veg I love which don't normally get much of an airing in US books - leeks, watercress, parsnips, swede etc. The recipes are reasonably complex enough to be interesting. I'm making my first recipe tomorrow (open top asparagus and cashew cream pie with fig and apple compote) so I'll report back then.

Edit to add there are a couple of raw recipes throughout, there is I think one which calls for seitan and one for tempeh. Those things are much more unusual here anyway.

Post subject: Re: Peace and Parsnips
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:28 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I hadn't heard of him or his book but this looks awesome. I just ordered a copy!
I don't think I have any vegan cookbooks by a British author so hopefully all the ingredients in there will be easy to get hold of for a change (at least it looks like it from the Amazon preview). Let us know how your pie turns out :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:40 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I've seen this and thought about getting it BUT I'm currently on a self imposed cookbook buying ban. It looked lovely & I'm looking forward to hearing what you've been making so I can justify buying it!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:14 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Oh, I just looked at it ... I want it ... do I need another cookbook? do anyone of us need a cookbook at all what with all manner of fab recipes free to view, copy on-line.

NO!

But will we keep buying them?

YES!

They are delight to cosy up and read ...

Anne, whose finger is THIS close to 'add to basket'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:31 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

So the very first thing I tried had an error in! The fig and apple compote says you need to remove the cinnamon when there isn't any listed in the ingredients. It was easy to guess but it was just not a good start. I had an oven thermometer in so I knew it was right, but I used the minimum cooking time. I thought the pastry would be overlooked or even burnt but it wasn't and it did give it a really crisp base.

I liked this but I wasn't sure about the blend of the compote with the tart. The compote seemed a bit overpowering. It grew on me as I ate it but I think the cashew cream needed more salt and a bit more nooch. The tart was lovely and would be something you could easily serve to omnis.

I liked this but it didn't wow me, but I'm definitely not put off trying something else. Hopefully the mistake will be a one off.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:57 am 
WRETCHED

I'm definitely interested in hearing more although I'll say the veggies you mention, aren't exactly easy to get in the US (watercress, parsnips, rutabaga show up once in a great while in the grocery stores here, leeks are pretty normal though)