| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 524 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:14 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

allularpunk wrote:
Yeast doughs can be frustrating, but they usually are pretty simple to troubleshoot. It may be your yeast - I keep mine in the fridge to extend its life. I've had those packets be dead, so I buy mine in bulk now. When you proof it, what temp is the water? It should be lukewarm. I usually test with my wrist - when it feels the same temp out of the tap as my body, that's when I use it. If your yeast isn't foamy after 5-10 minutes of proofing, your yeast is dead. A little sugar in the water gives the yeast something to eat, so don't skip that. If your yeast is fine, then your rising location may be too chilly. My first rise on those rolls didn't go so great, so I moved them to the top of the (running) dishwasher for the second rise, and that one was much better. When my kitchen is crazy cold in the winter, I put my oven on its lowest setting, put down a folded dish towel, and let my dough rise on top of that.

Sorry for the novel. I just want everyone to have yeast bread!

No, that actually helps. I think I should just try it out with a very small amount of dough and test how it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:39 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I set my dough to rise on top of the fridge, and it almost always rises perfectly there.

If not there, then in the den in the sunshine near, but not on, the fireplace.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:43 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I keep reading that cinnamon roll recipe but it just seems soooo hard!

So... I made peanut butter waffles instead! Lovely especially after my fastest 4 mile run in weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:48 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

allularpunk wrote:
Yeast doughs can be frustrating, but they usually are pretty simple to troubleshoot. It may be your yeast - I keep mine in the fridge to extend its life. I've had those packets be dead, so I buy mine in bulk now. When you proof it, what temp is the water? It should be lukewarm. I usually test with my wrist - when it feels the same temp out of the tap as my body, that's when I use it. If your yeast isn't foamy after 5-10 minutes of proofing, your yeast is dead. A little sugar in the water gives the yeast something to eat, so don't skip that. If your yeast is fine, then your rising location may be too chilly. My first rise on those rolls didn't go so great, so I moved them to the top of the (running) dishwasher for the second rise, and that one was much better. When my kitchen is crazy cold in the winter, I put my oven on its lowest setting, put down a folded dish towel, and let my dough rise on top of that.

Sorry for the novel. I just want everyone to have yeast bread!

I have horrible luck with yeasted doughs, so thanks for the tips! I am planning on doing the VB cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning and while I'm not crazy about the idea of getting up at zero dark thirty to start the process, I don't have enough of a magical touch to attempt an overnight rise in the fridge.

FWIW, I bought 'wet' yeast (from the refrigerated section, more like gummy bullion cubes than the dry packets of yeast, I think it's more common in European baking?), so hopefully I won't have any danger of getting a dud packet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:11 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
FWIW, I bought 'wet' yeast (from the refrigerated section, more like gummy bullion cubes than the dry packets of yeast, I think it's more common in European baking?), so hopefully I won't have any danger of getting a dud packet.

Yes, fresh yeast is very common in Scandinavia at least. Remember that you need to use more (by weight) than dry yeast. So 25 g (probably something inconvenient in ounces, since 1 oz is about 27 grams if memory serves) for the cinnamon rolls.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:24 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Gingerbread waffles to forking die for! Got this book today as a early xmas gift and it was the first thing i tried. I had all the ingredients already! So happy. Happy holidays fellow veg heads!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:47 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Those gingerbread waffles ARE to die for. So, so good.

I made the navy bean gravy with lots of black pepper for the first time. Served over a bowl of chicken-style soy curls, rice, and cauliflower, kale, brussel sprouts. I may just never eat salad again. Between this gravy and the AFR chickpea one, bowls for gravy covered things it is for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:49 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I made the bakery style berry muffins on the weekend. I reduced the sugar a bit and used strawberry flavoured coconut yogurt 'cause that's all I had. And they were so good and so easy! I know muffins aren't exactly rocket science but this were no time at all from when I found the recipe to when I put the tin in the oven.

Definite make again. Probably regularly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:28 pm 
Nailed to the V

The Classic Broccoli is my go-to quiche but I wanted to mix it up for special Pi day and make the caramelized onion version. I loved the richness but this dish confirmed my suspicion that my taste buds have changed in the past few years. Nutmeg makes everything taste like soap. Sadness. :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:31 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Finally made the beer battered tofu from this book which Chickpea recommended to me ages and ages ago. It's so good! I ate a half batch and now trying to stop myself cooking the rest even though I'm completely full.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:48 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Imogen wrote:
Finally made the beer battered tofu from this book which Chickpea recommended to me ages and ages ago. It's so good! I ate a half batch and now trying to stop myself cooking the rest even though I'm completely full.

Glad you liked it! Hope you can leave the left overs until tomorrow!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:16 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I took East Coast Coffee Cake (chocolate chip variation) to our belated Easter brunch today and the family loved it. The SO said that it was his favorite thing there.

Can't wait to have an occasion to make it again and play with other variations.

Instagram: entropyandennui

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:52 pm 
Nailed to the V

Made the mushroom, leek and white bean pie with roasted root veggies. Super good. Really not pretty to look at but love the taste. I think I would increase the garlic and salt and decrease the cornstarch next time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:10 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I keep hearing about people making the bakery berry muffins, but the one time I tried it all the berries sunk to the bottom and it was a gloopy mess! I believe I used frozen berries, but I don't think that was the cause? Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:37 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Frozen berries sometimes do release a huge amount of liquid when they thaw. When I use berries in baked goods, whether fresh or frozen, I toss them in a little flour before folding them into the batter and it seems to keep them from sinking and clumping together.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:02 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Sangria wrote:
Frozen berries sometimes do release a huge amount of liquid when they thaw. When I use berries in baked goods, whether fresh or frozen, I toss them in a little flour before folding them into the batter and it seems to keep them from sinking and clumping together.

I do the same thing - it's worked so far!

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:23 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Flour- got it! Thanks for the tip. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:10 am 
Level 7 Vegan

So I had the last of some homegrown apples that were at the end of their usage (they were getting pretty soft and starting to wrinkle) and I had been pouring through cookbooks looking for anything to make with them. I knew I wanted the old fashioned Chelsea waffles for breakfast today and while flipping to that recipe stumbled into the cinnamon baked apples recipe.

Holy crepe was that an amazing (and super easy) combo! I've had VB for years, can't believe I'm just trying that combo now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:33 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Soooo, I got the Kindle version and while I like the recipes, the layout seems messed up? The ingredients are listed inbetween the instructions... which is really frustrating.

Does anyone have this version with the same problem?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

nifty wrote:
Soooo, I got the Kindle version and while I like the recipes, the layout seems messed up? The ingredients are listed inbetween the instructions... which is really frustrating.

Does anyone have this version with the same problem?

I have the kindle version and I just checked. I looked at the beginning of the section called The Sweet (that was where my kindle opened to). In that section, it looks like in some recipes the ingredients precede the directions and in others they follow them. I also have the print version and in that one the ingredients are on side bars. Maybe the print copy was scanned to make the ebook version, without rearranging the layout well?

I once contacted Amazon over issues with a digital cookbook where the print was too faint to read easily on the kindle. Amazon contacted the publisher and they corrected the issue. I wonder if something like that would work here?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I don't have the cookbook, but I adapted the broccoli quiche recipe (found on the blog) to be a sausage and kale quiche. Sausage was from Vegan Diner and crust was pretty basic (I referred to I <3 Trader Joe's Vegetarian* cookbook to be sure I had the proportions right, but cut out the 2 tbsp sugar). It was yum!

*Literally the first pie crust recipe I could find in a rush

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:29 pm 
Nailed to the V

Do you think it's ok if I use frozen and thawed silken tofu for the omelets? Will it alter the texture too much?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:06 am 
Nailed to the V

Absurd fail on the omelets. I could not make it work. Just a burnt, sad torn up mess. I tried to turn it into a scramble and that made it worse. Nothing was salvegable and everything was tossed. Totally my fault. I'll try the baked version from IDI sometime.

Made the coffee cake with strawberry jam swirl and forgot all about the destroyed kitchen and sad omelet fail. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:32 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Alin wrote:
Absurd fail on the omelets. I could not make it work. Just a burnt, sad torn up mess. I tried to turn it into a scramble and that made it worse. Nothing was salvegable and everything was tossed. Totally my fault. I'll try the baked version from IDI sometime.

Aww...that's sad--I love those omelets!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 524 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21