| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:46 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Polenta can be made with varying amounts of water/broth. You use less liquid for the polenta if you want it to set so you can fry it up later; soft polenta uses more liquid. I've made soft polenta before and reheated it the next day just fine. All you need to do is add a bit of water and break it up as you're reheating it, but it will get creamy again.

Grits are definitely different than polenta. It bugs me that Bob's Red Mill and other brands call them the same thing because they are not! Grits cook up much lighter. I think Isa explains the difference in one of her books. Maybe Vegan Brunch?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yes, isa does explain the difference in vegan brunch. although bob's red mill may be confusing since it has both names on it, his stuff is good! so tasty and creamy! nothing at all like white corn grits.

awesome to know, like the poster before you mentioned too, that i can make larger batch next time and just add water the next day to loosen it back up and re-heat. tonight, i'll be making another small batch from scratch. it doesn't take long at all, i don't mind ;)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:32 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

i wonder how you guys cope with the omelette? the taste is amazing but i don't love the pre- cooking result, maybe for me is too thick, does anyone feels the same? I've been adapting it for me but haven't found the perfect thinness

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:51 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The Courico tacos are awesome! I used butler soy curls. sooo yum. Hubby said the flavor/texture reminded him of braised pork. I personally loooooved the texture, it wasn't super "meaty" but it was such a nicer "chew" than tofu.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

has anyone made the herbed drop biscuits on page 187? i was going to, as isa says it's okay to do, use all-purpose flour instead of WW pastry flour. however, 5 tsp baking powder seems like a lot? i use aluminum-free baking powder so at least there won't be any off flavors.......

my fingers are crossed tight for this recipe, i'm a southerner, yet i can't make a good roll out biscuit :( i was hoping this scoop method might save me ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:55 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

it's a big recipe, so that amount is correct!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thanks, shame on me for doubting isa.
i'll most likely be making them tomorrow, i'll let you know how they came out!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:58 pm 

ha, it's ok! it's a lot of baking powder, just not compared to the amount of flour. i think i did a double take the first time i made them, too and then i compared it to other recipes and realized it's very similar.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

getting ready to make the biscuits on page 187......

in VCIYCJ isa and terry say to use the scoop method for the flour rather than spoooning it into the measuring cup and leveling it off. admittedly, i'm a spoooner but i scoop for VCIYCJ.

should i assume that isa scoops the flour for the biscuit recipe in vegan brunch?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

well.... i'm moving forward.... i'm going to spooon and hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I would assume spoon if she doesn't say otherwise, since that's the "proper" way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:17 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I scoop for any recipe I've used in VB and never seem to have a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

well I spoooned the flour and these are the best biscuits ever. seriously. the ones I used to make with butter and milk and would roll out, are pathetic compared to these.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

creep wrote:
I would assume spoon if she doesn't say otherwise, since that's the "proper" way.

p.s. i noticed you typed "spoon"
the last time i typed spoon it turned into spork which is why i've been adding extra oooo's to the word spoon ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have probably already said this on this thread, but that Vidalia Onion Quiche is just insanely good. I made it for the first time in a long while yesterday and I want to make it again pretty much immediately.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:27 pm 

I think isa and terry both scoop as a general rule, so that's what's expected in these, but there are a lot of recipes where it won't matter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:06 am 
Ninja Master

I always fluff it a bit with the cup, then scoop, then level with my finger. We don't really use cups over here so I wasn't sure. I just started doing what I saw the barefoot contessa do on tv! haha

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

hello, question about the tofu omelets on page 13.

on the ocassions when i make tofu scrambles (with a serving of 4) the leftovers seem to reheat well for my hubby and i to eat the dish two nights in a row.

for the tofu omelets on page 13, i was wondering how well the 2 left over omelets would re-heat the next day? i was wondering if the recipe could be halved so i could make 2 omelets on night, and then the following night cook 2 fresh to order.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:48 am 

You can make the batter and only cook two omelets, then cook the other two the next night. the batter thickens up a lot, so i let the leftover batter come to room temp and add a little water if it seems like it needs. I think the omelets reheat just fine also, so either way should work!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've made all the omelettes and kept the leftover ones unstuffed until we were ready to eat them. They were fine.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:33 pm 
Semen Strong

This thread just made me buy VB. For all these years I thought "whatever, there are enough waffle, pancake, scramble and tempeh bacon recipes in all my other cookbooks, how could I need a whole book devoted to brunch?" But now I cannot wait to eat brunch and brinner all day long.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:
This thread just made me buy VB. For all these years I thought "whatever, there are enough waffle, pancake, scramble and tempeh bacon recipes in all my other cookbooks, how could I need a whole book devoted to brunch?" But now I cannot wait to eat brunch and brinner all day long.

exactly, i love this cookbook. i've made a long list of recipes i want to make. i also want to buy a waffle maker real bad too!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ijustdiedinside wrote:
You can make the batter and only cook two omelets, then cook the other two the next night. the batter thickens up a lot, so i let the leftover batter come to room temp and add a little water if it seems like it needs. I think the omelets reheat just fine also, so either way should work!

creep wrote:
I've made all the omelettes and kept the leftover ones unstuffed until we were ready to eat them. They were fine.

good to know i could do either method and all would be fine...... i'm not going to seek out the special salt though, perhaps another time...... hopefully i'll be able to find the required type of tofu, otherwise i'll do her tofu scramble instead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

question about the potato spinach squares on page 116

do you think the recipe would halve well? a 9" x 13" pan is just way too much for me and my hubby! we often do freeze leftovers but i'm just not sure how well this would freeze. anyway, i was thinking of halving the recipe and baking it in a 8" square glass pyrex pan since according to my nerdy math skills, the 8" square pan is about half the area of the 9" x 13" one....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:00 pm 
Semen Strong

I just got this book and have friends coming over on Saturday! What to make?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next