| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've neglected the bread section of this book for too long. I just made the bakery-style muffins for breakfast with fresh strawberries instead of frozen. Really forking delicious! I think the frozen berries would've been more explodey and yummy, but the fresh worked great too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:10 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I think the first recipe I made out of this book was the Banana Flapjacks, but I didn't have the right pan and also added chocolate chips so they burned. Bummed, and didn't make them again until a few months ago when my omni boyfriend wanted something more substantial for breakfast. This time with the right pan and no chips, and they came out so perfect that they have become the staple sunday hangover breakfast. We both love them so much!
So easy and so delicious.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:04 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

The banana flapjacks are sooo good. As are the regular pancakes, the Chelsea waffles, the pierogi, the crepes, the East Coast Coffee cake and the berry muffins. The only recipe that didn't quite work out for me was the individual hash browns...not sure why...they never quite cooked in their little muffin cups :(

I really really want to try the Cinnamon Rolls next!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:31 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'd never been particularly motivated to make scones. They'd not been a favorite pregan food, as I usually experienced them - even bakery-fresh - as heavy bland, boring. My husband would bring one home with coffee from time to time (pronouncing it "scon-E", in his phonetic interpretation, with English as his 2nd language), as our local spot baked their own goods fresh each morning <meh, take 'em or leave 'em>.

In a late-night urge to enjoy something satisfyingly laden with chocolate chips, I stumbled across the scone recipe with the choc chip mix-in option. I decided to go one step further and throw in some finely chopped toasted walnuts (if only to justify the bit of nutritional benefit as an acceptable food for breaking the fast before dawn this morning).

I went the manual way Isa recommends, using hands to cut in the shortening (I'd normally have pulled out my processor, in efforts to perfect the dough, but was encouraged by the "quick" factor in my time of need). I was increasingly concerned as I picked and hacked away at the dough, fearing I'd end up with a tough, glutenous mess, while that optimal pebbly texture continued to elude me.... After stirring to gently incorporate the wet and dry, I was relieved, due to the late hour and long day, that the protocol, post-mixing, was to simply mold the scones in a measuring cup and drop them out on a prepped sheet (no rolling/triangling/precision).

All that said - these scones are THE BEST I've had in my entire life. In fact, one of the best chocolate-chip desserts EVER: the dough is light and flaky, the modest amount of sugar in the recipe played so beautifully with the coarse sea salt ground in, and the dusting of sugar on top (organic Turbinado here) added another dimension of flavor, crunch, and lightly sweet reminder of the previous bite.

My daughter (11 years old and hyper-critical of my cooking since turning vegan nearly 6 months ago) absolutely enjoyed the scones (evidenced by her slow yet complete savoring), and my husband could not stop ooh-ing and aah-ing - even promising to get up early to pick up a fresh soy latte with which to enjoy them <623am, crickets...>.

As I waited out the final minutes of scone-baking, I was repeatedly intrigued by the options that I'd previously "missed" (or perhaps "dismissed" as something not particularly interesting to me). SO looking forward to future scones of many varieties (tomato & rosemary?! right on!), and those English muffins, and.... LOVING this book, truly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

oh so glad to hear you ♥ the scone recipe. i've had my eye on that ;) enjoyed reading your story too ;)
♥ this cookbook.

my hubby misses me making non-vegan fritta. how do y'all like the fritta recipes?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:55 am 
Nailed to the V

Bookwormbethie, I have made the Swiss Chard Frittata so far. While I did love it, I find that I have trouble with vegan frittatas. They turn out like a pan of scrambled eggs for me, with the slices crumbling apart once I try lifting them out of the pan. They turn out delish, don't get me wrong. But if you're looking for that uniform texture of a pregan frittata, I'm not sure how to accomplish that. It could just be me doing it incorrectly though. You should try it if your husband really wants it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

well my hubby really does love tofu scrambles. and yes i am looking for a more firmer texture of a pregan fritta, i suppose i'll still give it a try since even a crumbly vegan fritta would still be yummy and edible ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have never had any issues with slicing these frittatas, weird!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:03 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I think you need really mash the tofu a lot for the frittatas. I had a crumbly one once and then I mashed the tofu a lot more and it didn't happen again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

Good to know; thanks for the tofu mashing tip. I made the Chorizo Sausages today and they turned out perfect!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:19 pm 
Saggy Butt

beethecookie wrote:
Bookwormbethie, I have made the Swiss Chard Frittata so far. While I did love it, I find that I have trouble with vegan frittatas. They turn out like a pan of scrambled eggs for me, with the slices crumbling apart once I try lifting them out of the pan. They turn out delish, don't get me wrong. But if you're looking for that uniform texture of a pregan frittata, I'm not sure how to accomplish that. It could just be me doing it incorrectly though. You should try it if your husband really wants it!

I had this problem with a vegan frittata recipe I found online, it crumbled when I tried to take the first slice out but was delicious never the same. Re-reading the recipe over I saw at the end after cooking your supposed to let the frittata sit for 10 mins before slicing and serving.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:40 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The only frittatas I've made were blended tofu, not crumbled. They held together great. And I definitely preferred them over eggy heavy frittatas.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:43 am 
Nailed to the V

Yeah, I think in the future I'd use blended tofu, like creep said. The crumbly frittatas are delicious, too, though!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:45 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

After my choc chip/walnut scone success and revelry, I turned back to VB for dinner the next evening, and went with the Broccoli Quiche.

I had NO onions in the house, believe it or not, so added some sliced scallions and chopped flat-leaf parsley into the mix before filling the par-baked crust. Topped the lukewarm finished product with golden nooch sprinkles, and have been enjoying it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner the last few days! So deeply flavored, and hits all the right notes. YUM

The texture was incredibly thick. I did detect a bit of graininess from the ground/processed cashews. Has anyone tried to soak them first, before adding them to this recipe? I also am considering using regular firm tofu next time, with soaked cashews, instead of dry cashews with extra firm tofu (thinking it may become a bit more soft and custard-y and not as firm/thick). This is probably all a matter of personal taste/quich-y memories from the deepest recesses...

The dough for the pie crust is so quick easy, and after mistakenly adding an entire stick of EB margarine, I now have a frozen 2nd batch of dough for the next quiche craving! I had always heard that pie crust results were best with shortening, however. Has anyone tried to sub out 1/2 the EB marg for EB shortening? I wonder if that could lighten it up just a tad? (extra flakiness to go along with the buttery flavor) I'm a total pie crust novice, so I hesitated to veer off the path in any way.

Anyway, SUPER success - and can't wait to make it for company! Impressive, for sure, and so darn delicious.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

creep wrote:
The only frittatas I've made were blended tofu, not crumbled. They held together great. And I definitely preferred them over eggy heavy frittatas.

i'm embarassed to ask, but what is blended tofu? literally what it sounds like, all pureed/blended up in a food processor??

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:08 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

bookwormbethie wrote:
creep wrote:

i'm embarassed to ask, but what is blended tofu? literally what it sounds like, all pureed/blended up in a food processor??

That's how I interpret it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:11 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

My toddler and I made lemon poppyseed muffins this morning. I used barley flour instead of AP and cut the sugar by half. They are so yummy!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bookwormbethie wrote:
creep wrote:

Yeah, that's it. Usually with some garlic or other seasonings.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i've been eyeing the 'italian feast sausages' recipe on page 140..... i have only made seitan once (ribz from vegan diner), and it was baked not steamed, so i have a few questions...

1. i have a small electric countertop staeamer. the actual steaming "basket" is 3.5" tall and has (it's circular) a diameter of 7.5." since the recipe makes just 4 sausages molded into 5" logs, do you think my small electric steamer will work?

2. do i wrap the sausages tightly in foil tootise roll style, or do i need to leave a little breathing room (i thought steamed seitan expanded a bit)?

3. will store-brand aluminum foil work or do i need to splurge and buy reynold's extra heavy duty aluminum foil?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:10 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

bookwormbethie wrote:
i've been eyeing the 'italian feast sausages' recipe on page 140..... i have only made seitan once (ribz from vegan diner), and it was baked not steamed, so i have a few questions...

1. i have a small electric countertop staeamer. the actual steaming "basket" is 3.5" tall and has (it's circular) a diameter of 7.5." since the recipe makes just 4 sausages molded into 5" logs, do you think my small electric steamer will work?

2. do i wrap the sausages tightly in foil tootise roll style, or do i need to leave a little breathing room (i thought steamed seitan expanded a bit)?

3. will store-brand aluminum foil work or do i need to splurge and buy reynold's extra heavy duty aluminum foil?

1. I think mine is about the same size, and I've never had a problem doing sausages in it.

2. Yep, wrap 'em up tight!

3. I use store-brand with no problem.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

@allularpunk, thank you thank you! it's funny cuz when i first when vegan i was afraid of seitan, it seemed so "weird" and a bit intimidating to try making my own (i've never bought it prepared at the store). but i'm ready to try it out!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:56 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

It's so easy once you get the hang of it! I personally prefer the steaming method, and find it to be the easiest one. Good luck!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

awesome, i plan to make this soon to hopefully serve along side a home cookin' themed dinner.

question: when the sausages come out of the steamer, do i unwrap the foil from them? or do i let them cool in the foil before stashing them in the fridge?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:55 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I always unwrap mine right away, but I know that some people cool them in the foil and also store them in the fridge still wrapped in it.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:58 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

bookwormbethie wrote:
question: when the sausages come out of the steamer, do i unwrap the foil from them? or do i let them cool in the foil before stashing them in the fridge?

I leave all my steamed seitan in the foil until I use it. Works well for freezing too.

Ginger-chocolate chip is my favourite version of the scones.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next