| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thanks y'all. i got my italian feast sausages steaming right now. the recipe/ingredients came together beautiful so if for some sad reason it doesn't turn out right, it will be my fault as this is my 1st time making any kind of steamed seitan!

well i suppose since i've made 4. i'll unwrap 2 and keep 2 wrapped and see if that makes any difference in the final texture. if it isn't raining later this evening, i'm going to ask hubby to grill 2 of them whole on our gas grill.

the 4 sausage foil rolls barely fit in my itty bitty steamer -- i have a small electric countertop steamer with the steaming basket being 3.5" tall and has (it's circular) a diameter of 7.5." i have 1 sausage stacked diagonally across the other 3. i hope that doesn't affect the cooking!

after trying this and a few other steamed seitan recipes, if hubby and i enjoy up enjoying the taste and texture, we will most likely invest in a larger electric countertop steamer. OR a pot with a special insert.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

holy moley! i think i just made steamed seitan! thank you to all who gave me advice!

and i did wrap them snug in foil like a tootie roll, they really plumped up during the steaming!

italian feast sausages.........
i unwrapped 2 of them, the are firmish and hold their shape when picked up, do they firm up more as they cool?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:00 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Woo-hoo, that looks perfect! And yes, the sausages should continue to firm up as they cool. Plus, grilling them later will cook them even further, so I think you're fine.

Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

beethecookie wrote:
Woo-hoo, that looks perfect! And yes, the sausages should continue to firm up as they cool. Plus, grilling them later will cook them even further, so I think you're fine.

Congrats!

thanks for the congrats! i hope all future seitan steaming attempts go just as well as this one did! and yes, the sausages did firm up as they cooled. i ended up opening the foil a bit on all 4 of the sausages to help with cooling and now they wrapped back up in the foil and in the fridge.

cook them even further? i have read in multiple places that you should "cook" seitan again after it's made such as grilling, pan frying, etc..... but Isa's recipe seems to indicate that you can eat them after they are done steaming. We do plan on "cooking" them again before dinner, but what happens if someone doesn't do that? Will they get a belly ache? Or will the texture be off?

We might be getting heavy rain later this evening, so grilling might not be an option. instead we might just sear a whole one or two in the skillet, or slice them up and saute them.......

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:13 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I just meant that if you were worried about them, the extra step of grilling would hopefully eliminate that concern that they may not be cooked enough. It sounds like they are cooked fully through, though, and I've eaten seitan without cooking it again and it's always been no problem. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your dinner! I just made the Chorizo Seitan Sausages from this book the other day and it was delish.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:52 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

bookwormbethie- you cook them after steaming. Try the recipe for sausage and greens if you have some on hand, it's one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:04 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Yes, usually you cook them after steaming. But you don't have to. Sometimes I just cut one up onto pasta right outta the steamer or just one plain while I'm cooking with others.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

all is well! since it was raining, we sliced 'em and sauted them in a bit of oil. they browned quite nicely. omni hubby approved. the texture was so chewy and good, obviously not like tofu at all! i see more steamed seitan recipes in my future!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I realised last night that I was supposed to bake for work today, so I made the coffee cake, since I had all the ingredients. I added blueberries to the batter and walnuts to the topping, and it's a fine cake! I can't believe it took me so long to try it. It's probably the lightest cake I've made in a while. It's been given the thumbs up at work, too- it's all gone, while the super fancy-looking store-bought chocolate tart that my boss brought in (seriously, this thing is like a glorious tower of tempered chocolate and piped mousse) is still there. A triumph for the humble vegan coffee cake!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:08 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I braved crepe-making for the first time today! I was attempting to recreate a recipe I had at Plum Bistro in Seattle, and it turned out wonderfully. I made the savory crepes and the batter was easy to work with, all of the crepes turned out beautifully. I stuffed them with sweet cashew-tofu ricotta (from Veganomicon minus spices and garlic plus a bit of sugar), pesto, arugula, and sliced pears. Delicious.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:50 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

OMG, the raised waffles. I even made them half whole wheat and they are still decadent.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:30 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Yesterday I made the potato spinach squares to bring to a brunch with omins. They all raved about them and they were gone really fast! One girl didn't believe me they were vegan "What, no egg in it?". Yay! I've always loved them but it makes such a huge amount I rarely make them just for myself.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:43 am 

Just took another batch of the lemon poppyseed muffins out of the oven. I subbed out 1/2 cup of the AP flour for corn flour, plus I added 1/2 tbsp cornstarch to the soy milk. I had to have one warm, even though it's like midnight and I'm totally not hungry. It was worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

Polenta Rancheros - AMAZING is all I can say. Something else I'd never have tried if not for recommendations on the boards. That sauce is... *out of this world*.

I'm wary of making anything with cumin anymore, because my husband (Mexican born and bred) is not accustomed to cumin in ANY of his family's cooking (must be regional, because Viva Vegan! utilizes cumin in so many dishes - but his mother doesn't even own the spice) always comments on my "Middle Eastern" cooking any time I make a recipe using cumin (even refried beans!), he's that sensitive to it... And while he did comment as the spices were toasting, he was knocked out with one taste of the sauce from the blender - which reminded him of something his mom made during his childhood.

LOVE VB for brunch and dinner and ANYTIME. ♥ I was mentally plotting my favorite breakfast feasts to prepare when my brother comes to visit, and now I have one more to squeeze in (Polenta Rancheros with homemade tortillas and salsa!).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:57 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

The Matzoh Brie recipe is so stinking good. I had NO idea. I figured it would taste tofu-y and weird, but it tasted just like I remember my grandma making for me when I was a kid. Obviously I left out the onions and dill and smothered it in cinnamon sugar instead, because in my family that's how we roll. Yum!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lizlemon wrote:
The Matzoh Brie recipe is so stinking good. I had NO idea. I figured it would taste tofu-y and weird, but it tasted just like I remember my grandma making for me when I was a kid. Obviously I left out the onions and dill and smothered it in cinnamon sugar instead, because in my family that's how we roll. Yum!

i've sadly never ever had matzoh brie. i feel deprived. i'll need to call my mom later and ask why ;)

i'll definitely need to try this recipe! i think my hubby would like it too since he loooves tofu scrambles. maybe for a "fancy" sunday breakfast.....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:04 pm 
Naked Under Apron

um for some reason, I've never made those tomato-rosemary scones. I'm an idiot, because they are freakin' delicious and so, so simple. However, I didn't use rosemary because it's one of my least favorite herbs. I did sub some fresh basil but perhaps should've added a bunch more because basil's so much more subtle-tasting. In any case, I'm not a savory scone skeptic anymore!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:01 pm 

Just ordered this book, should be here in the next couple day! Can't wait to try out all the recipes everyone has been talking about here! My husband and kids love to take muffins in their lunches, can anyone suggest a great one to try first?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:54 am 
Not NOT A Furry

The bakery berry ones! Soooooo good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

brontrent wrote:
Just ordered this book, should be here in the next couple day! Can't wait to try out all the recipes everyone has been talking about here! My husband and kids love to take muffins in their lunches, can anyone suggest a great one to try first?

the cranberry orange muffins are soooo good! my hubby loved them and said they tasted better than the not vegan ones i used to make. i used fresh cranberries though, but i think craisins would work well too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:09 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Dave the Cat wrote:
The bakery berry ones! Soooooo good.

Yeah, these are really good. I always end up making 10-11 muffins instead of 12, so they're a little bigger.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:23 pm 

bookwormbethie wrote:
brontrent wrote:

the cranberry orange muffins are soooo good! my hubby loved them and said they tasted better than the not vegan ones i used to make. i used fresh cranberries though, but i think craisins would work well too.

Those sound really good and I have a huge Costco sized bag of cranberries in the freezer that I've been looking for ways to use. I think I've found my first recipe, thanks. Now I just need the book, I got a note in my mailbox today saying it's ready for me to pick up tomorrow.

As it happens I also have 3-4 huge bags of frozen berries in freezer as well so I guess I'll be making the bakery berry ones too. We keep a lot of frozen fruit on hand for smoothies, muffins, and berry sauce for pancakes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:51 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Has anyone made the breakfast casserole?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Bananastand wrote:
Has anyone made the breakfast casserole?

Yep! Many times. It's pretty much the perfect savory breakfast.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:58 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Also many times, for both brunch and dinner, I even fed it to an omni once, and even though I thought it would be pretty scary for her she loved it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next