| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:39 pm 
Nailed to the V

creep wrote:
bcakes wrote:
I made the pumpkin pancakes today and could not get the insides to cook no matter what I tried (higher heat with shorter cooking time, low heat with slow cooking time, covering pan, no cover, making the pancakes extra thin). Does anyone have any tips for this recipe? I wound up feeding the whole batch to my dog. The good news is that she really liked them. The bad news is that my son and I had cheerios for breakfast. Boo.

I've made them and didn't do anything special. They just worked.

I mean, that's not particularly helpful, but it might help you figure out if something went wrong?

I guess it must be my stupid induction cooktop. But it's able to make non-pumpkin pancakes, so I don't understand what the difference is.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:59 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I have to declare my love for the cinnamon fig variation of the East Coast Coffe Cake recipe. I buy dried figs to use in cranberry sauce and use the leftover figs to make this cake as a Thansgiving treat. It is ridiculously good!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:49 am 
Ninja Master

I cannot find my copy of this book anywhere and now I want coffee cake. DAMMIT.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:26 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

My husband made the English muffins at the beginning of the week and we ate breakfast sandwiches with the sausages from Vegan Diner all week. Terrific! Some days we did a spread of mayo, mustard & nooch, one day was with leftover cheezy sauce from Cookin' Crunk and this morning was with a tofu scramble.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

making the cranberry orange muffins later. oh so yummy!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:59 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I woke up Friday morning with an intense desire for the cranberry coffee cake I used to make pregan to use up cranberry sauce. So, I made East Coast Coffee cake with my orange-bourbon-cranberry sauce swirled in the batter and it was so, so good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:32 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Made the Swiss chard frittata the other day, so good! Quite crumbly, but yum nonetheless. I fried some onions with the garlic before adding the chard to add some extra taste, worked really well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:31 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have a couple of questions about the cinnamon rolls: The recipe says to use an 11 x 13 inch pan. I don't have one. Will a 9 x 13 work and if so, any idea how much it would change the baking time? Also, I want to prepare but not bake them the night before serving. I'm guessing I should do the final rising right before baking, so how much time (approximately) should the rising process take? Any advice would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:47 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

zinnia wrote:
I have a couple of questions about the cinnamon rolls: The recipe says to use an 11 x 13 inch pan. I don't have one. Will a 9 x 13 work and if so, any idea how much it would change the baking time? Also, I want to prepare but not bake them the night before serving. I'm guessing I should do the final rising right before baking, so how much time (approximately) should the rising process take? Any advice would be appreciated.

It's been a while since I made these, but yes, a 9x13 definitely works. I don't even know where to get an 11x13 pan. I don't think you should have to change the baking time significantly, but cinnamon rolls usually vary for me -- I usually go by the tops getting golden brown.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:22 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

The chocolate beer waffles are friggin perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:34 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

bcakes wrote:
creep wrote:
bcakes wrote:
I made the pumpkin pancakes today and could not get the insides to cook no matter what I tried (higher heat with shorter cooking time, low heat with slow cooking time, covering pan, no cover, making the pancakes extra thin). Does anyone have any tips for this recipe? I wound up feeding the whole batch to my dog. The good news is that she really liked them. The bad news is that my son and I had cheerios for breakfast. Boo.

I've made them and didn't do anything special. They just worked.

I mean, that's not particularly helpful, but it might help you figure out if something went wrong?

I guess it must be my stupid induction cooktop. But it's able to make non-pumpkin pancakes, so I don't understand what the difference is.

I couldn't get the pumpkin pancakes to work either! Such a dissapointment. We have a gas stove and were using a non-stick pan. We have been able to make regular pancakes no problem. I wonder what it is that went wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:37 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

anardana wrote:
The chocolate beer waffles are friggin perfect.

Whaaaaaaattttttttttttttttttttttt?

Drool.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:04 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

bookwormbethie wrote:
Pimpinella wrote:
I did the English muffins a while ago and they were heaven. Also very easy to make. I did get a tummy ache though from eating like five of them in one morning!

i just got this book, yay! the english muffins are one of the very first things i want to make!

Um, yes - so good, so easy, and so addictive. Just polished off one that was toasted, then smeared with homemade vegan butter and loaded with nooch. Before that was one with bitter orange marmalade. Before that was vegan butter only - y'know, just to really test them out before serving them to my family.

Why didn't I double this?! Pure shame is all that is keeping me from diving into another one...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:13 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I made the orange cranberry muffins (minus the nuts) and they are a major hit! I only had dried cranberries, so I plumped them up in some hot water first, and I ran out of oil before it hit half a cup, so I topped it off with applesauce. Freaking fantastic, everyone who's eaten them has loved them!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:31 am 
Semen Strong

Those are SO good! I took them to an omni potluck and they were a huge hit!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:18 pm 
Semen Strong

Okay, I have the English Muffins in the pipeline, thanks to this thread! All the feedback is giving me cravings!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:58 pm 
Semen Strong

So they look awesome, but they are more like supercute biscuits than English muffins, because they don't have those nooks and crannies that I associate with English muffins.... What did I screw up? How can I ensure big bubbly nook and cranny filled muffins next time?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

Dude, your English muffins are little hearts!! Adorable.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:06 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

What would you guys suggest to make and bring to a vegan brunch potluck? This book has so many great recipes, which one(s) would be easy to make the previous day or in the early morning and survive a short commute?

I was thinking of also making some cashew cream cheeses, so maybe bagels or something? I really like the sausages, too, but I don't know what people would eat them with...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:41 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I once made the sausages really small to bring to a potluck, so people could just get one or two mini-sausages. Wrapping them all up individually in foil was a pain, but worth it because everyone loved them! You could also make the mini omelets from IDI. I like small foods, I guess. I'd also maybe do muffins, because I haven't met anyone yet who doesn't like muffins!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:46 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

The potato-spinach squares can definitely be made the day before and they're really good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:29 pm 
Nailed to the V

I've made mini-quiche using a mini-muffin pan and the onion quiche recipe. (The only recipe modification I had to make was to reduce the baking time). They tasted good cold and traveled well.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:13 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Any of the above, but I also really like your bagel and assorted cream cheeses idea. Do some savory and some sweet (ie berry, cinnamon) spreads and a couple different bagels....and make sure there's a toaster :)

Last edited by tofucheez on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:18 pm 
Semen Strong

Vegan quiche goes over so well - its one of the few things where I haven't seen an unfavorable comparison to the "real thing." Its delicious, fancy and easy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:23 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Do you know what other people are already planning on bringing? Or do you have any kind of "assigned" dish?

Reply to topic  [ 491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next