| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:52 pm 
Nailed to the V

Moon wrote:
So, it sounds like the answer to my question is..... Everything. LOL. Thanks for the recommendations, guys!

I'm a little late to the party but I basically wanted to reiterate what others have said...

The bagels kick butt! Can't rave about them enough.

The Chelsea waffles are my very favorites.

The Seitan Sausages in this book are all awesome and easy.

The tofu scrambles! I haven't gotten the hang of the omelets yet, though, sadly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:08 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Moon wrote:
So, it sounds like the answer to my question is..... Everything. LOL. Thanks for the recommendations, guys!

So, Moon... Inquiring minds want to know: what'd you make, what'd you love?

I forgot to chime in that I ADORE the chocolate chip scones (with nuts added). They are a HUGE fave in the omni household. Just so slightly sweet, rich, amazing.

Also, huge mention: the waffles in this book made me into a waffle-making gal; visiting omni houseguests and omni children love them all, rave and rave, regardless of whether I make the Chelsea waffles or the Raised. The other night, I had a crazy craving for "chicken and waffles" (really, just something crisp and fried and savory along with something sweet and buttery) - so I soaked and pressed some soy curls in loads of chicken-y seasonings, shook them around in a bag with arrowroot and paprika and brown rice flour to coat well, then pan-fried them in my skillet to serve along with Chelsea waffles and boysenberry syrup... Omni family was in HEAVEN, as was I - like a plate of fried chicken skin (without the disgusting factor). Could not keep my hands out of the bowl of crispy delight (yes, PMS time, what can I say - but did it ever fit the bill!).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:16 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I was wondering how soy curls would work for chicken and waffles... I usually do my soy curls with a sauce and was hesitant to try them like this but I'll give it a whirl. Anyway, I'm with you - I was never a waffle person until this book. One of my favorite fun dinners is the Chelsea waffles with gardein chicken strips and bourbon-laced syrup :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

VeganVamp wrote:
Also, huge mention: the waffles in this book made me into a waffle-making gal; visiting omni houseguests and omni children love them all, rave and rave, regardless of whether I make the Chelsea waffles or the Raised. The other night, I had a crazy craving for "chicken and waffles" (really, just something crisp and fried and savory along with something sweet and buttery) - so I soaked and pressed some soy curls in loads of chicken-y seasonings, shook them around in a bag with arrowroot and paprika and brown rice flour to coat well, then pan-fried them in my skillet to serve along with Chelsea waffles and boysenberry syrup... Omni family was in HEAVEN, as was I - like a plate of fried chicken skin (without the disgusting factor). Could not keep my hands out of the bowl of crispy delight (yes, PMS time, what can I say - but did it ever fit the bill!).

What "chicken-y seasonings" did you use? This sounds completely amazing, but I'm not so good with the spices.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:55 am 
Nailed to the V

Ages ago I bought a waffle iron so that I could make some of recipes in this book ... I finally used it and made the gingerbread ones yesterday for a late, late brunch yesterday ... then some of the blueberry ginger spelt muffins for afternoon tea ...

praise abounded about the place ...

Anne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:24 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

beethecookie wrote:

I'm a little late to the party but I basically wanted to reiterate what others have said...

I was out of bread for Sunday breakfast, remembered this thread and decided to make the bagels. They turned out really easy and quick. The only thing that bugged me is the "1/4 oz packet of yeast". I don't buy packets of yeast and have no idea how much a 1/4 oz is, is it a regular packet? I've only ever seen one size yeast packets.
I thumbed through the rest of the bread recipes in the book to see if I can figure it out. One of the recipes asked for 1 packet or 2 1/4 tsp, one recipe asked for 1 tsp only, and this one for a 1/4 oz packet. I thought it would have been really helpful to state the amounts the same way in each recipe to make it easy on novices like me. My cheap kitchen scale isn't very dependable for such small amounts. Plus, being early Sunday morning I was still kinda groggy from getting up early to make bread for breakfast...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Max&Moritz wrote:
beethecookie wrote:

I was out of bread for Sunday breakfast, remembered this thread and decided to make the bagels. They turned out really easy and quick. The only thing that bugged me is the "1/4 oz packet of yeast". I don't buy packets of yeast and have no idea how much a 1/4 oz is, is it a regular packet? I've only ever seen one size yeast packets.
I thumbed through the rest of the bread recipes in the book to see if I can figure it out. One of the recipes asked for 1 packet or 2 1/4 tsp, one recipe asked for 1 tsp only, and this one for a 1/4 oz packet. I thought it would have been really helpful to state the amounts the same way in each recipe to make it easy on novices like me. My cheap kitchen scale isn't very dependable for such small amounts. Plus, being early Sunday morning I was still kinda groggy from getting up early to make bread for breakfast...

Those little packets usually are that amount. But if you buy yeast in jars or whatever, can't you just weigh out 0.25 oz?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:53 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Those little packets are 2 1/4 tsp, if your kitchen scale is unreliable with really low weights.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:34 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

zelavie wrote:
VeganVamp wrote:
The other night, I had a crazy craving for "chicken and waffles" (really, just something crisp and fried and savory along with something sweet and buttery) - so I soaked and pressed some soy curls in loads of chicken-y seasonings, shook them around in a bag with arrowroot and paprika and brown rice flour to coat well, then pan-fried them in my skillet to serve along with Chelsea waffles and boysenberry syrup... Omni family was in HEAVEN, as was I - like a plate of fried chicken skin (without the disgusting factor). Could not keep my hands out of the bowl of crispy delight (yes, PMS time, what can I say - but did it ever fit the bill!).

What "chicken-y seasonings" did you use? This sounds completely amazing, but I'm not so good with the spices.

Hi, Zelavie! I was actually out of any type of veggie broth (usually have powdered no-chicken brother from Frontier), so I used scads of thyme, rosemary, sage, pepper, with some soy sauce for salt and a teeny bit of liquid smoke to round out the flavor. Even if I had broth powder, the next time I'd still up the thyme/rosemary/sage because it was such a punch of chicken-like (minus grossness) flavor and aroma.

A reminder: the pan-fried/arrowroot-and-brown-rice-flour-coated version I referenced earlier makes a crispy chicken-skin-like texture, not really "meaty"/chewy, but crisp. So if you want a more representative effect of chicken & waffles (meat + crispy skin), you might cook up 2/3 of the soy curls this way, and the other 1/3 just baked at high heat or sauteed to cook thru/brown up, rather than frying all the curls. This way, you'd have the crispy + the "meaty", like a real piece of fried chicken.

However, PMS time,and I was ALL about the crispy!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

First attempt at the silken tofu omelet - with grilled green asparagus (& lots of garlic). I'm in love! <3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:51 am 
WELFARIST!

What a gorgeous omelet Phoenix! I bet it tastes as good as it looks! (Always wanted to try the omelets but I have trouble finding black salt here).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That is gorgeous!

Seitanic, just try them without the salt. My MIL and I found black salt in Markham and I've been adding it to my chickpea flour omelettes but the difference is negligible.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The omelet was so good (and I had some leftover silken tofu to use up), so today I made one filled with baba ganoush. It was pretty good.
Then I had another idea while shopping. The French always put cubes of pre-cooked potatoes right in the batter - so I must try a variation of that with sweet potatoes! (And I guess I'll squeeze some sriracha on top too.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:05 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

You know, I haven't used this book nearly enough - probably because I don't have a very brunch-centric lifestyle - but every time I do make something from it it comes out perfect and ends up in my regular rotation.

Today it was the bagels, which to me never seemed like the sort of food you could actually make at home, but damned if they're not all bagel-y and amazing!

I almost screwed up the recipe by quintupling the yeast, though, but thankfully my brain switched on in time; in my copy of the book, there's no space between 1 (how many packets) and 1/4-oz. (size of packets), so I initially thought to equal a packet I needed to use one-and-a-quarter ounces.

The only other thing I changed was sprinkling them with sesame seeds between boiling and baking, rather than before boiling, because they all came off in the water.

Next VB recipe to tackle: waffles? Maybe?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:15 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

seitanicverses wrote:
What a gorgeous omelet Phoenix! I bet it tastes as good as it looks! (Always wanted to try the omelets but I have trouble finding black salt here).

the omelets are still really good without black salt! i usually dont use it because it smells too sulfury. the omelets are a really good quick meal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:31 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I finally made the lemon pepper tofu. As it was meant as a taco ingredient, I cubed the tofu and then I just threw the marinade (with eyeballed measurements) on it and put it in the oven. I didn't even bother rubbing the lemon pepper in, but it came out perfectly!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:21 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I made a bunch of (new to me) recipes from Vegan Brunch for the Mother's Day brunch I hosted for my omnivore family. I made the bakery-style mixed berry muffins (yum), the cranberry-orange nut muffins replacing the cranberries with dates (my favorite of the day - SO good), and the spinach-potato bake. Everyone went nuts especially for the potato bake.

To round out the menu, I made the muffin tin omelettes from Isa Does It, roasted asparagus, the lemon-coconut bundt from Veganomicon and some blackberry cheese danishes. (yes, it was a lot of food, but everyone went home with muffins for the week - that was my intention!).

I almost did a 100% vegan brunch but at the last minute got nervous about feeding my dad tofu omelettes, so I enlisted my vegetarian sister to make a quiche for them. Overall it was a success!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20