| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:48 pm 
Offline
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:10 pm
Posts: 777
Location: between a rock and a hard place
Black salt is much, much cheaper at Indian markets, so you'll definitely want to get yours there. I got mine at an Indian/Middle Eastern market back in the good old days when we actually still had an Indian/Middle Eastern market around here, and I don't remember what I paid but it was nowhere near $15. That, I would have remembered.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:46 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 308
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Finally got Vegan Brunch this past week and decided I want to MAYBE do a cook through of the book on the weekends for Mr. Scruffleupagus & I... So the first recipe is the tofu omelet & it calls for chickpea flour... I was JUST wondering if anyone knew if I could use soy flour instead? I have EVERYthing else except the chickpea flour, but if it will make that much of a difference, I'll go to the store... I'm just tired and lazy after a long work day.

_________________
Vegan-Ish-Esque
As seen on Facebook!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:16 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:56 am
Posts: 422
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Has anyone had a problem with the spelt biscuits? I started a thread about this on the old forums and a few people agreed that they felt they had too much baking soda because they had that bitter, metalic taste. Never got any confirmation that there was a typo though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:25 pm 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:13 pm
Posts: 642
Location: Pennsyltucky
amethyst wrote:
Black salt is much, much cheaper at Indian markets, so you'll definitely want to get yours there. I got mine at an Indian/Middle Eastern market back in the good old days when we actually still had an Indian/Middle Eastern market around here, and I don't remember what I paid but it was nowhere near $15. That, I would have remembered.

Totally. I get it for $1 for a packet that has all you'll ever need (or close to it). If anyone ever want to do a mini-swap, I'll send you some black salt if you send me some tea (or other small goodies that are cheap to mail). PM me, anyone!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:46 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 308
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Dynahmite wrote:
amethyst wrote:
Black salt is much, much cheaper at Indian markets, so you'll definitely want to get yours there. I got mine at an Indian/Middle Eastern market back in the good old days when we actually still had an Indian/Middle Eastern market around here, and I don't remember what I paid but it was nowhere near $15. That, I would have remembered.

Totally. I get it for $1 for a packet that has all you'll ever need (or close to it). If anyone ever want to do a mini-swap, I'll send you some black salt if you send me some tea (or other small goodies that are cheap to mail). PM me, anyone!


I guess that's where I need to go then... I was seriously surprised Whole Foods didn't have it. All I could find was Black Lava Salt... I'll just have to use sea salt tomorrow morning. Maybe I can find it next time.

_________________
Vegan-Ish-Esque
As seen on Facebook!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:34 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 308
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Image

Omelets ensued! My only issue was that the recipe for the miso-tahini sauce didn't really specify what kind of miso to use so I grabbed "mellow white"? Or something like that. Either way we (remember my boyfriend is an omni) really liked it!

_________________
Vegan-Ish-Esque
As seen on Facebook!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:22 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:55 am
Posts: 4221
Location: Halifax, NS
Scruffleupagus wrote:
Image

Omelets ensued! My only issue was that the recipe for the miso-tahini sauce didn't really specify what kind of miso to use so I grabbed "mellow white"? Or something like that. Either way we (remember my boyfriend is an omni) really liked it!


That looks awesome! I really need to try these, I've never had a vegan omelet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:05 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3620
Location: Nashville, TN
FINALLY got a waffle iron.

Still experimenting. I'm making the chocolate beer waffles for tomorrow morning, but so far they're turning out kind of squishy. Is that normal? Still tasty and edible, just not very firm.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:00 pm 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 9973
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
kasiakoz wrote:
Has anyone had a problem with the spelt biscuits? I started a thread about this on the old forums and a few people agreed that they felt they had too much baking soda because they had that bitter, metalic taste. Never got any confirmation that there was a typo though.

Yeah, I definitely found them too baking soda-y, and you're right, a bunch of other people did. But I also can't recall if it was a typo!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:15 pm 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:31 pm
Posts: 324
Location: Seattle, WA
This was my first vegan cookbook. I've made a number of things out of it. The only recipe that really didn't work for me was the omelets. It definitly could have been my fault. I didn't have much exerience with vegan cooking at the time, but I could not eat them at all. They looked beautiful, but the taste and texture was all wrong. I might try them again sometime.

I absolutely love the carmelized onion quiche, chelsea waffles and the puttanesca scramble! I plan to try the courico tacos with grilled pineapple salsa soon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:26 pm 
Offline
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7070
Location: NC for now
Help! I just started making the raised waffles and the milk and yeast are together and I realize I don't have canola or veg oil! I have evoo and coconut oil. Sigh.

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:16 pm 
Offline
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7070
Location: NC for now
i added apple sauce - i'll try 'em fat free.

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:42 pm 
Offline
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7070
Location: NC for now
made bagels too! i only have spelt flour though, so the waffles and bagels are spelt. the bagels are okay - of course they aren't nearly as good as plain white flour bagels - but they're good! they taste kinda nutty and they aren't as chewy as they should be.

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:01 pm 
Offline
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7070
Location: NC for now
Okay! As compared to how raised waffles are supposed to be, the fat free spelt version is not so good, but for a fat free waffle, they're pretty good! But in the future, I'll only make them the correct way.

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:54 am 
Offline
Tofu Pup

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:52 am
Posts: 1
I came here specifically to find if there is a typo in the chives and spelt biscuits. There's definitely something funky going on there, and I suspected the backing soda.

But the basic scone recipe is delicious (if a bit too sweet) and the coffee chocolate chip muffins!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:27 pm 
Offline
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3641
Location: Bella Napoli
creep wrote:
FINALLY got a waffle iron.

Still experimenting. I'm making the chocolate beer waffles for tomorrow morning, but so far they're turning out kind of squishy. Is that normal? Still tasty and edible, just not very firm.



I usually add between 2-4 tablespoons (1/8-1/4 cup) extra flour to them. This makes the texture firmer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:51 pm 
Offline
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:08 pm
Posts: 919
Location: PDX
annak wrote:
creep wrote:
FINALLY got a waffle iron.

Still experimenting. I'm making the chocolate beer waffles for tomorrow morning, but so far they're turning out kind of squishy. Is that normal? Still tasty and edible, just not very firm.



I usually add between 2-4 tablespoons (1/8-1/4 cup) extra flour to them. This makes the texture firmer.

I had problems with both the pumpkin pancakes and the banana flapjacks. Both were very squishy and totally stuck to well-greased cast iron skillets, even with using really small bananas. So adding more flour or using less pumpkin/banana would probably be a good idea. Also, I love lots of spices, but the pumpkin spice mix tasted really off.

_________________
Formerly Kaleicious. I still love kale, but no more than lots of other garden greens too! Orach is currently my favorite.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:27 pm 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:22 pm
Posts: 35
Has anyone else had waffles that stick? If so, how to fix??? I really love the recipes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:34 pm 
Offline
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3641
Location: Bella Napoli
lapochka wrote:
Has anyone else had waffles that stick? If so, how to fix??? I really love the recipes


Cooking oil spray will fix this. It's either more of a problem with vegan waffles or my waffle maker has lost some of it's nonstickness over the years, but the spray makes everything right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:59 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2592
Location: England
lapochka wrote:
Has anyone else had waffles that stick? If so, how to fix??? I really love the recipes


Usually more spray, but mine stick if I open the iron before they are ready. My iron usually needs longer than any recipe calls for.

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:44 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3620
Location: Nashville, TN
Yeah. Make sure you spray between each waffle, not just at the beginning. And don't open it until the minimum time has passed. If they're not fully cooked, sometimes they'll break or stick.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:16 pm 
Offline
Lubes With Earth Balance
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:08 pm
Posts: 1620
mmmm banana rabananda this morning! It always sticks a little even though I oiled the pan but so tasty and pretty decadent.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:42 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:03 pm
Posts: 1118
Location: Knoxville, TN
Efcliz wrote:
lapochka wrote:
Has anyone else had waffles that stick? If so, how to fix??? I really love the recipes


Usually more spray, but mine stick if I open the iron before they are ready. My iron usually needs longer than any recipe calls for.


Yes. Generally, waffles are ready when you no longer see steam coming out of the waffle iron.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:47 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3620
Location: Nashville, TN
Tzippy wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
lapochka wrote:
Has anyone else had waffles that stick? If so, how to fix??? I really love the recipes


Usually more spray, but mine stick if I open the iron before they are ready. My iron usually needs longer than any recipe calls for.


Yes. Generally, waffles are ready when you no longer see steam coming out of the waffle iron.


I thought this too, but mine will steam forever, it seems like. I've never burned a waffle, but my last batch came out really dry because I waited the longest amount of time allowed according to my waffle iron directions, but it was still steaming a lot at the end.

I'd use steam slowing down as a general guideline, but I think it really depends on your waffle iron. You probably just need to experiment until you get it right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:22 pm 
Offline
Writes Vegan Haiku

Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:21 pm
Posts: 26
Location: Tucson, AZ
I haven't allowed myself to keep cranberries in the house this winter, or else I will eat my weight in cranberry orange nut muffins again. They are my favorite muffin on earth.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer