| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:48 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Black salt is much, much cheaper at Indian markets, so you'll definitely want to get yours there. I got mine at an Indian/Middle Eastern market back in the good old days when we actually still had an Indian/Middle Eastern market around here, and I don't remember what I paid but it was nowhere near $15. That, I would have remembered.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:46 pm 
Saggy Butt

Finally got Vegan Brunch this past week and decided I want to MAYBE do a cook through of the book on the weekends for Mr. Scruffleupagus & I... So the first recipe is the tofu omelet & it calls for chickpea flour... I was JUST wondering if anyone knew if I could use soy flour instead? I have EVERYthing else except the chickpea flour, but if it will make that much of a difference, I'll go to the store... I'm just tired and lazy after a long work day.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:16 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Has anyone had a problem with the spelt biscuits? I started a thread about this on the old forums and a few people agreed that they felt they had too much baking soda because they had that bitter, metalic taste. Never got any confirmation that there was a typo though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:25 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

amethyst wrote:
Black salt is much, much cheaper at Indian markets, so you'll definitely want to get yours there. I got mine at an Indian/Middle Eastern market back in the good old days when we actually still had an Indian/Middle Eastern market around here, and I don't remember what I paid but it was nowhere near $15. That, I would have remembered.

Totally. I get it for $1 for a packet that has all you'll ever need (or close to it). If anyone ever want to do a mini-swap, I'll send you some black salt if you send me some tea (or other small goodies that are cheap to mail). PM me, anyone!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:46 pm 
Saggy Butt

Dynahmite wrote:
amethyst wrote:

Totally. I get it for $1 for a packet that has all you'll ever need (or close to it). If anyone ever want to do a mini-swap, I'll send you some black salt if you send me some tea (or other small goodies that are cheap to mail). PM me, anyone!

I guess that's where I need to go then... I was seriously surprised Whole Foods didn't have it. All I could find was Black Lava Salt... I'll just have to use sea salt tomorrow morning. Maybe I can find it next time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:34 pm 
Saggy Butt

Omelets ensued! My only issue was that the recipe for the miso-tahini sauce didn't really specify what kind of miso to use so I grabbed "mellow white"? Or something like that. Either way we (remember my boyfriend is an omni) really liked it!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:22 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Scruffleupagus wrote:

Omelets ensued! My only issue was that the recipe for the miso-tahini sauce didn't really specify what kind of miso to use so I grabbed "mellow white"? Or something like that. Either way we (remember my boyfriend is an omni) really liked it!

That looks awesome! I really need to try these, I've never had a vegan omelet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

FINALLY got a waffle iron.

Still experimenting. I'm making the chocolate beer waffles for tomorrow morning, but so far they're turning out kind of squishy. Is that normal? Still tasty and edible, just not very firm.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:00 pm 
Chard Martyr

kasiakoz wrote:
Has anyone had a problem with the spelt biscuits? I started a thread about this on the old forums and a few people agreed that they felt they had too much baking soda because they had that bitter, metalic taste. Never got any confirmation that there was a typo though.

Yeah, I definitely found them too baking soda-y, and you're right, a bunch of other people did. But I also can't recall if it was a typo!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:15 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

This was my first vegan cookbook. I've made a number of things out of it. The only recipe that really didn't work for me was the omelets. It definitly could have been my fault. I didn't have much exerience with vegan cooking at the time, but I could not eat them at all. They looked beautiful, but the taste and texture was all wrong. I might try them again sometime.

I absolutely love the carmelized onion quiche, chelsea waffles and the puttanesca scramble! I plan to try the courico tacos with grilled pineapple salsa soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:26 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Help! I just started making the raised waffles and the milk and yeast are together and I realize I don't have canola or veg oil! I have evoo and coconut oil. Sigh.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:16 pm 

i added apple sauce - i'll try 'em fat free.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:42 pm 

made bagels too! i only have spelt flour though, so the waffles and bagels are spelt. the bagels are okay - of course they aren't nearly as good as plain white flour bagels - but they're good! they taste kinda nutty and they aren't as chewy as they should be.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:01 pm 

Okay! As compared to how raised waffles are supposed to be, the fat free spelt version is not so good, but for a fat free waffle, they're pretty good! But in the future, I'll only make them the correct way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:54 am 
Tofu Pup

I came here specifically to find if there is a typo in the chives and spelt biscuits. There's definitely something funky going on there, and I suspected the backing soda.

But the basic scone recipe is delicious (if a bit too sweet) and the coffee chocolate chip muffins!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:27 pm 
Nooch of Earl

creep wrote:

Still experimenting. I'm making the chocolate beer waffles for tomorrow morning, but so far they're turning out kind of squishy. Is that normal? Still tasty and edible, just not very firm.

I usually add between 2-4 tablespoons (1/8-1/4 cup) extra flour to them. This makes the texture firmer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:51 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

annak wrote:
creep wrote:

I usually add between 2-4 tablespoons (1/8-1/4 cup) extra flour to them. This makes the texture firmer.

I had problems with both the pumpkin pancakes and the banana flapjacks. Both were very squishy and totally stuck to well-greased cast iron skillets, even with using really small bananas. So adding more flour or using less pumpkin/banana would probably be a good idea. Also, I love lots of spices, but the pumpkin spice mix tasted really off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:27 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Has anyone else had waffles that stick? If so, how to fix??? I really love the recipes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:34 pm 
Nooch of Earl

lapochka wrote:
Has anyone else had waffles that stick? If so, how to fix??? I really love the recipes

Cooking oil spray will fix this. It's either more of a problem with vegan waffles or my waffle maker has lost some of it's nonstickness over the years, but the spray makes everything right.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:59 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

lapochka wrote:

Usually more spray, but mine stick if I open the iron before they are ready. My iron usually needs longer than any recipe calls for.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah. Make sure you spray between each waffle, not just at the beginning. And don't open it until the minimum time has passed. If they're not fully cooked, sometimes they'll break or stick.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:16 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

mmmm banana rabananda this morning! It always sticks a little even though I oiled the pan but so tasty and pretty decadent.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:42 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Efcliz wrote:
lapochka wrote:

Usually more spray, but mine stick if I open the iron before they are ready. My iron usually needs longer than any recipe calls for.

Yes. Generally, waffles are ready when you no longer see steam coming out of the waffle iron.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tzippy wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
lapochka wrote:

Yes. Generally, waffles are ready when you no longer see steam coming out of the waffle iron.

I thought this too, but mine will steam forever, it seems like. I've never burned a waffle, but my last batch came out really dry because I waited the longest amount of time allowed according to my waffle iron directions, but it was still steaming a lot at the end.

I'd use steam slowing down as a general guideline, but I think it really depends on your waffle iron. You probably just need to experiment until you get it right.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:22 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I haven't allowed myself to keep cranberries in the house this winter, or else I will eat my weight in cranberry orange nut muffins again. They are my favorite muffin on earth.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next