| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eat Like You Give A Damn
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:30 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

..from Herbivore's Michelle Schwegmann and Josh Hooten.

Has anyone bought this yet? It seems geared toward new vegans, which is a great thing, but I'm sure there's something for all of us.

I could not find a thread already started, but if there is, please delete and redirect me.

Post subject: Re: Eat Like You Give A Damn
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:42 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I bought a copy. I think geared toward new vegans is pretty accurate. If you have a decent collection of vegan cookbooks, there won't be much that's really new to you. They've posted a lot of photos of recipes on instagram. Look at the tags #eatlikeyougiveadamnbook and #rubybirdslunch and you'll get a pretty good idea of what's in the book.

I haven't tried any recipes yet, but there are several things I liked reading through it. The design is beautiful, including great photos and glossy paper. I suppose that's not as rare for vegan cookbooks as it used to be, but I still find it a pleasant surprise. There's a foreword by an undercover farm activist, which I think is a great introduction to animal rights and was interesting to read even as a longtime vegan. And there's a really good integration of healthy, easy, and comforting food, which means I think it will be good for everyday cooking. So no really long cook times or specialty ingredients beyond a basic vegan pantry (tamari, nooch, miso, raw cashews). And the index looks like it's good, too. Though I'll have to use it more to be sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:03 am 

Thank you, mollyjade. That was very helpful.

It's not been released in Canada yet, and I was thinking of taking advantage of the pre-order price. But I really don't need anymore cookbooks. I will definitely consider it next year, when I've lifted my self-imposed cookbook buying ban.

I'll request my local library to order it though, as it clearly would be a great addition to the vegan section.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:58 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I am waiting the Canadian release.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:24 am 

I pre-ordered this yesterday. I have a real fondness for a cookbook of good tasty essentials. The fancy-pants and themed cookbooks tend to be looked at, admired but not cooked from in my home. I'm looking forward to this one.

ps I did request my local library order this- so fingers crossed that they do. I think they will. They have a fair selection of current vegan cookbooks for such a small city.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:37 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just ordered this, partly because I am also not a fancy eater and I like ideas for everyday meals, and partly because I like Herbivore and want to support them. Also I'm a cookbook hoarder, so.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:33 pm 

I like that they're clear that it's about the animals. So, yeah, me too. I will sometimes buy a cookbook in part because I want to support the author(s), and that is definitely the case here. But gee I like me some everyday eats too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:39 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I am curious whether anyone else made the burgers. Curious whether it was user error. They tasted nice but very fragile.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:57 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I have this and LOVE it. I've made the kale salad (excellent), the Herbivore bowls (basic vegan fare, but very good), the Mexican skillet pizza (excellent, and super quick and easy if you use pre-made pizza dough), the chopped salad (excellent), and the bbq soy curl bowl (excellent).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:38 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Been slowly cooking through this cookbook and like it, too.
Have liked all the tofu scrambles so far and the bbq-curry soy curl bowl the most. The beet-tofu burger was very delicate but I liked it nonetheless.

Shared my review, the recipe for the burger and a chance to win the cookbook today:

https://tastespace.wordpress.com/2015/1 ... -giveaway/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:52 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I received this for Christmas and have a bunch of stuff bookmarked. I had some leftover homemade white crusty bread so made the chocolate banana bread pudding this morning and it is really good. Nice and moist with great flavor. Yum.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:39 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

saveur wrote:
Been slowly cooking through this cookbook and like it, too.
Have liked all the tofu scrambles so far and the bbq-curry soy curl bowl the most. The beet-tofu burger was very delicate but I liked it nonetheless.

Shared my review, the recipe for the burger and a chance to win the cookbook today:

https://tastespace.wordpress.com/2015/1 ... -giveaway/

Yeah! I won this one from saveur. Thanks saveur! I got the book right before Christmas (a day or two before) and just have had a chance to glance through it. It looks very interesting. Lots of pictures and the recipes seem fairly straight forward. I would suggest this one to anyone who is new to cooking and new to a vegan diet. I hope to spend some time now that the mayhem of holidays is over putting together a list of recipes that I want to make. The burger one that saveur made looks fabulous.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:55 pm 

I honestly would recommend this book to anyone. I went vegan in the 90s, but my cooking skills never really advanced much. My husband calls it The Magic Book, because everything I've cooked from it has turned out delicious. Food is really yummy, most ingredients can be bought at our local supermarket and many recipes are weeknight friendly. This has become my most used cookbook. This, to me, fits into the - "if you only own one vegan cookbook...." category.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:40 pm 

I made the tahini dressing this weekend and really enjoyed it in salads. I know tahini brands can vary wildly in thickness, and my dressing came out very thin. Next time I'll probably use half the amount of water initially and then add more as needed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:50 am 
Not NOT A Furry

magpie wrote:
I made the tahini dressing this weekend and really enjoyed it in salads. I know tahini brands can vary wildly in thickness, and my dressing came out very thin. Next time I'll probably use half the amount of water initially and then add more as needed.

Are you talking about Tahina or Tahini Magpie? I'm not sure about where you are, but in the Middle East anyway, we refer to the straight paste as Tahina, and the watered down sauce as Tahini. If I remember right from living in the States, I think the names may be used interchangeably. If it's tahina, it shouldn't be super watery, but chances are the top half of the jar is all liquid, and all the goods have sunk to the bottom (Give that baby a good hard stir!!!) If it's a tahini sauce, it will be very watery period, and probably doesn't need extra liquid mixed in.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:57 pm 

jerusalemboheme6 wrote:
magpie wrote:

Are you talking about Tahina or Tahini Magpie? I'm not sure about where you are, but in the Middle East anyway, we refer to the straight paste as Tahina, and the watered down sauce as Tahini. If I remember right from living in the States, I think the names may be used interchangeably. If it's tahina, it shouldn't be super watery, but chances are the top half of the jar is all liquid, and all the goods have sunk to the bottom (Give that baby a good hard stir!!!) If it's a tahini sauce, it will be very watery period, and probably doesn't need extra liquid mixed in.

I'm in the US and I used "Simple Truth" tahini - I think it's a house brand for one of the grocery store chains I frequent. I did luckily remember to stir it before I measured out the tahini but it looks like the brand might just be more liquidy than others.

Last edited by magpie on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:01 pm 

Made a half batch of the Sunny Split Pea Soup tonight, subbing kale for Swiss chard. It's really good and the hit of lemon at the end really brightens the flavor. I had a small bowl for dinner tonight and am packaging the rest into a few small containers to bring to work. I like savory breakfasts, so am going to see if having a small bowl of lentil soup in the morning at work will help stave off the mid-morning munchies.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:20 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I would like to give a shoutout to the faux feta in this book. Normally, I don't bother with fake feta, because it just tastes like tofu with oregano, but I had a weird greek salad craving yesterday, so I gave the ELYGAD faux feta a try, and it really hit the spot!

Also, I made the split pea soup yesterday, and it was great. Will definitely go into the rotation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:27 pm 

The house dressing is delicious - only 3 or 4 ingredients and added a great savory flavor to my salad.