| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sticky Fingers' Sweets
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:20 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

If you liked Little Debbie's Oatmeal Pies (I never said I had sophisticated tastes) you will love. the. Cowvins.

LOVE!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:33 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I just have to report that the Cheesecake Cupcakes came out wicked good. That is all.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:38 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i just got this book recently. flipping through it i was a bit disappointed that egg replacer is used so frequently. in my (limited) experience with it is i dont like it. i made some recipes with it from a different cookbook and found things came out sort of chewy in texture.

tonight i made the coconut strawberry lemonade cake and i have to say im underwhelmed. i had issues with all parts of the recipe.

the cake recipe seems way more involved than it needs to be. then for some reason i had to cook the cakes much longer than it said and one cake still came out a bit underdone.

the lemon curd recipe was easy and i thought it came out good. it is one of the first vegan things ive made that needs to set that actually set up in the end. it is VERY tart in flavor but i kind of liked that because it reminded me of lemonade. i will say though it made a fork ton of lemon curd. i used way more than necessary on the cake and still have a ton in my fridge. why did it make so much???????

the strawberry frosting tastes like shortening. there is strangely not much flavor to it. i put in extra sugar and extra vanilla and it just doesnt taste like much other than shortening. when i added the lemon juice in it sort of melted the frosting so i added more sugar to fluff it up more.
it also made a fork ton. i had to dump a ton of frosting down the drain. i used PLENTY on the entire cake and i still had to waste a ton. if it tasted good i might have tried to find something else to do with it but it really had no flavor so i dumped the excess.

the cake seemed like it held together fine even though i put in a lot of the curd because i had so much but after we ate our pieces ad i went back into the kitchen a whole chunk of the cake had slid off because i had used so much lemon curd and fallen on the counter (obviously this is not the fault of the recipe)

my husband liked the taste of the cake and told me several times it was good. i thought it was just ok. again the cake was chewy and i think it's the damned egg replacer. do other people have this experience? am i dont something wrong? the flavor of the cake was good though. nice and coconutty

im still optimistic about the rest of this book and overall the cake tasted ok it just didnt really live up to what i thought it would taste like.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:34 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

i guess that's what happens to bakeries that were developing their recipes back when egg replacer was the only option. (if it works for them, they have no impetus to evolve)

make lemon bars! :-)

the chocolate chip cookie recipe is still my go-to recipe. so there are definitely winners in the book.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:52 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i guess i just dont understand what the point of egg replacer is when ive made tons of Isa/Terry and Chloe recipes that dont use egg replacer and they all come out amazing.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:31 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

the knowledge of the science of replacing eggs was in it's infancy in 1999. a lot can happen in 1 year (look at the recent cheese revolutions) let alone 16 years.
(also, there was far less of a vegan hive mind sharing tips and techniques back then. she didn't have isa, terry [and definitely not chloe] to learn from. she had to make do.)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:58 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I can't imagine that egg replacer would make a cake chewy. It sounds more like over mixing or over baking to me.

I haven't made a ton of recipes from this one, but everything I've made has been good. The brownies are awesome!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:40 pm 
Semen Strong

supercarrot wrote:
the knowledge of the science of replacing eggs was in it's infancy in 1999. a lot can happen in 1 year (look at the recent cheese revolutions) let alone 16 years.
(also, there was far less of a vegan hive mind sharing tips and techniques back then. she didn't have isa, terry [and definitely not chloe] to learn from. she had to make do.)

But the book was published in 2012, not 1999. I don't think it was a reprint, was it? And even if it was, I'd imagine that much as Isa did in VWAV II, she could have updated it to rely less heavily on egg replacers if she wanted to.

I thought it was interested that in Tamisin's review she says that she was uncomfortable with the way that Doron puts down other vegan bakers (and I saw that in Cupcake Wars too). Maybe she just isn't that interested in being part of the vegan hivemind?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:37 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

supercarrot wrote:
)

fair enough. though i do think Tlish has a point that the book is brand new.
though obviously it must work for them as i know it's a popular bakery so im totally open to the idea that im just inexperienced using egg replacer.

i dont think i overmixed anything because i do a fair amount of baking and this has only happened when ive used egg replacer and not just recipes from this book. (i assume you mean overmixing of the batter and not just the egg replacer?)

im psyched to try the chocolate chip cookie recipe everyone raves about