| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meatless (Martha Stewart)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:32 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

It is vegetarian but has many vegan recipes or so it says. I have not seen it in person but saw an ad in Whole Living. I am curious! Anyone own it?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/030795 ... rt_title_1

Post subject: Re: Meatless (Martha Stewart)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:45 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I don't own Meatless but spent some time today checking it out at our local book store. Honestly, and much to my surprise, I was struck by the number of vegan recipes the book contains. The recipes look to be really interesting, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ooh! I hadn't seen this, but I've made some really excellent recipes from her site. Interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:32 am 

I will be buying it, the preview on Amazon looks promising. Also I think all of the recipes have pictures!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:45 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My favourite review:

"they use to many vegetables that i don't like. i like just about every vegetable. don't like califlower, brussel sprouts. returning the book. "!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:47 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I think I'll get. Normally I wouldn't be too excited by a vegetarian book, but I'll make an exception for this one for a couple reasons. I've made a number of things from the Martha Stewart website (vegan or adapted vegetarian) and everything always comes out great. I think the recipes are always clear and reliable. Also, looking through the Amazon preview, the index has a ton of labeled vegan recipes, but what tips me over the edge is that all the burger and patty recipes appear vegan, so I'm not seeing lots of gratuitous egg use. That one ups Vegetarian Times right there.

I really like the Martha Stewart cookie book. That even has a few vegan vegan recipes, but most of the rest I can adapt myself.
I might check to see if Costco has this one in stock so I can look through it first, but it looks nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:03 am 

lavawitch wrote:
I might check to see if Costco has this one in stock so I can look through it first, but it looks nice.

I am going to Costco to see if they have it now, because I need laundry detergent and raisins!

I subscribe to Whole Living which is a MS publication. I always like the recipes and advice. I assume it will be in the WL spirit...health but good food, nothing with hard to find ingredients.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:10 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

tigerpants wrote:
My favourite review:

"they use to many vegetables that i don't like. i like just about every vegetable. don't like califlower, brussel sprouts. returning the book. "!

i saw this review too and i was cracking up.

ermagherd!!! cauliflowerz NOOOOOO!!!!!

is the book like ALL cauliflower and brussel sprout recipes? i mean come on! im not a huge root vegetable fan (turnips, parsnips, etc) but i didnt return AFR cause there's a root veg curry in it.

so silly ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:05 am 
Nooch of Earl

If and only if every single recipe contains a brassica, that might be a fair review. I looked at the preview on Amazon a little bit though and that didn't seem to be the case. Looking at the menus (the easiest way to see a bunch of recipe titles I could find), at first I thought "oh, this is about as uncreative as every vegetarian cookbook put out by an omni author/series - all frittatas and stirfries" but as I read more I changed my mind a little. It looks relatively vegan-friendly and creative.

I'm not sure I'd get it, though.. Martha's recipes tend to be a little fiddly and dirty as many dishes as humanly possible. For slightly fiddly but creative recipes that highlight interesting vegetables, I have still woefully underused (read: flipped through, not cooked from) Alice Waters's "Vegetables," Charlie Trotter's "Vegetables, and "Herbivoracious." But it's not that it doesn't look intriguing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:05 pm 
WRETCHED

I ordered it and it came today.

Quite a few of the recipes call for parm but for most of them, it is more of an accent rather than an integral part of the dish.

This seems like a great cookbook for someone in transition from an omnivore diet. It might be trickier for a newer vegan but someone who is used to substitutes could probably navigate it fairly easily. Tofu seems like it might be a fair substitute for some of the egg dishes, a vegan parm (such as yellow rose recipe) might be a fair substitute for some of the parm, a tofu ricotta should do fine for most of the ricotta dishes and tofu feta for the feta.

I started thinking about which recipes I want to try but there are a lot in this book. A lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:39 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I think I might order this! There's a few recipes from her website that I use. One of them was for the pastry for Jamaican beef patties and it was spot on perfect, so Martha's cool in my book.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:14 pm 

ughh....need it now...seeing if i can get it cheaper today at B&N with a coupon...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:21 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I went ahead and got the Kindle version. I bookmarked a lot of yummy looking things. Most recipes seem reasonable simple.

There are some egg and cheese dishes that likely aren't worth the trouble, but the number of labeled vegan recipes is misleading. If a recipe only uses butter or only has a nonvegan suggested topping or optional ingredient, it is NOT labeled vegan. An example of this is some of the chili recipes. The chili is vegan, but since it suggests topping with sour cream etc, no vegan label.

Overall, I think it looks pretty nice. I want to try the hazelnut pizza dough.

Also: what Linanil said about the reggiano--they seem to have a hard on for the stuff. Other than that though, it's a pret vegan friendly book.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:25 am 
Huffs Nooch

I downloaded the Kindle sample of this. The first chapter, 'Small Plates to Mix and Match," (or something like that) was almost all vegan recipes. They were all pretty simple and quick. I would make almost all of them, including a kale and red cabbage slaw that I want right now, and a roasted sweet potato salsa, and a rustic 'crunchy' hummus made with coarsely mashed chickpeas and radishes. Hmmmm, my bookshelves are groaning..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:20 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I have that hummus first on my list to try. Rustic is a good word for this book--a lot of Mrtha Stewart recipes seem "elegantly rustic" to me, which is why I like this book so far. It isn't just a retread of recipes we are all sick of from other books.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:02 am 

I bought it on Thursday. I am echoing that a lot of the stuff that is not vegan can be made vegan....like parmesan is a super easy swap out!

Tomorrow I am making the lemon broccolini since organic broccolini was fresh at the store and my neighbor is supplying me with tons of citrus off her tree!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:58 pm 
Nailed to the V

I got some recipes down from work. (the one brightside of my job!).

I made the 30 clove of garlic soup. this was a really, really thin soup. (I was expecting it to be... well thicker). so I added more potatoes (ultimately 1.5 lbs) and a roux to thicken it up and expand it. but it was reallly good. but with roasted garlic you really ever cannot go wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:25 am 
Saggy Butt

I bought it yesterday and am excited to try out some of the recipes. What draws me to this book so far:
- creative, interesting sounding recipes. For example, black rice stir fry, curried red lentil soup w/dried cherries & cilantro, Italian baked eggplant w/seitan.
- each recipe is on a single page, with a gorgeous photo on the opposite page
- simple, clear instructions. Most dishes sound like they would be pretty quick to prepare.
- nutritional information included
Obviously, not all vegan, but I'd estimate 70-80% are vegan or can be easily modified to be vegan.
There's a paragraph in the foreward about why Martha has been transitioning towards a plant-based diet, and even a recipe for homemade seitan. It makes me happy to think of all the omni Martha fans who will purchase this book and might be inspired to change the way they eat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:48 am 

I did not read the forward but not to sound to negative I think MS should really work on her veg skills if she is eating more veg friendly. Having one vegan show was really nothing to write home over. Her lifestyle shows are so not veg friendly. I think it is cool to have a veg book put out by here, it may give people insight but to see it for more than a new way for MS to make money is what has me hard pressed.

I am bummed Whole Living is no longer being published...:(

Last edited by missmuffcake on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:50 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Just looked at the preview on amazon and am interested in the lentil cashew hummus! This might just go on my wishlist.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:35 am 
WRETCHED

I quasi made my first recipe yesterday, it was basically a green curry using store bought green curry paste. I don't think my paste was very flavorful and I added tofu and vegan prawns but overall it turned out good. Although the recipe calls for basil to be added on top after being plated, I added some into the sauce as well which I think helped the flavor.

Not that the recipe is groundbreaking and there are a lot of simple recipes in the book, but I think it helped me pick the veggies as well as give me the motivation to make it. Often you think 'hey I should make that', but then you don't.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The Thirty Clove Garlic soup is really good. Very plain, simple, and easy, but perfect "feel like crepe" food. We probably didn't need Martha Stewart to tell us how to make it (I think Donna Klein has similar in her Italian and Med books), but I was looking for an easy soup.

The recipe isn't labeled vegan because it calls for 1/4 cup of reggiano at the end, but I swapped some nooch.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:49 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I made the marinated stuffed cherry peppers, but instead of stuffing w/ provolone I used a mixture of dill, lemon juice, garlic, quinoa, arugula, and daiya. They were pretty great, and made a nice meal with a salad and half a bagel.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm amused that we are all veganizing the non vegan recipes instead of making the labeled recipes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:43 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

missmuffcake wrote:
I am bummed Whole Living is no longer being published...:(

Whole Living was my favorite. Vegan-friendly, beautiful, and some actual interesting content, not just fluff.

(She also created then axed my previous favorite magazine, Blueprint. Damn you, Martha!)

Anyway, I want to check this book out in person, but it sounds good! There are so many vegan cookbooks out now that I've admittedly become pretty lazy about / disinterested in buying books that require me to skip or modify recipes.