| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Donuts??
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:36 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

So I was just wishing and hoping and praying that maybe there is a vegan donut cookbook in the works for Isa and Terry.

Lately I have become the donut craving monster and I don't even own a donut pan..

Any "sightings"??

Post subject: Re: Donuts??
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

ive got a number of donut making items at home, pans, a batter funnel, cookbooks.
Still have yet to master any recipe, but let me say...STAY THE heck away from donut pans, the results suck! You are just so much better off making cupcakes. I found that korean donut mix (dont know the brand) with a batter funnel works best but still nowhere near real donut quality.

damn im gonna have to go on a road trip to vegas if i want some decent donuts it seems

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:33 pm 

Yeah I've stopped myself from buying them several times since it seems like so much work rather than just plopping the stuff in a muffin tin.

I did run across a sugar-free cranberry donut recipe the other day that had me eating half of the pan. The texture was just like little donut holes since I made it in my mini muffin tin. Of course I haven't had a REAL donut in years but it was darn close to the memory I'd had! Also made Veganomicon jelly donut cupcakes for Fat Tuesday and they went over extremely well at work!

I haven't managed to find any vegan friendly donut shops near me sadly..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:53 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

SkepticalVegan wrote:
.STAY THE heck away from donut pans, the results suck!

so many comments like this are the only thing that's kept me from buying those cute little pans.

i make some donut holes (i think i might have veganized the recipe? don't remember) that are very much like D&D cake donuts with a good shot of nutmeg, like the white powdered sugar ones. i make them in a muffin tin like you said, cut them up and sugar them and they're good enough for me.

these are next on my list to try.... and as she advises, NOT in a donut pan!
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/04/fa ... onuts.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:27 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I have only tried once to make donuts (with a mini donut pan- so annoying), and they were just ok.

But! I just saw this recipe from VeganDad- Baked Yeast Donuts (no pan)- and they look great! He has a couple other variations too if you search "donuts".

I actually prefer the cake kind, but I'm going to try these soon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:28 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Amy wrote:
I have only tried once to make donuts (with a mini donut pan- so annoying), and they were just ok.

But! I just saw this recipe from VeganDad- Baked Yeast Donuts (no pan)- and they look great! He has a couple other variations too if you search "donuts".

Thank you for the link. I am a donut addict and can't wait to try this recipe.

I personally like the donut pan. I baked HH lowfat chocolate donuts a few weeks ago and they were good. I would love to see a vegan donut cookbook, I would buy it without a second thought.

My husband thinks I'm totally nuts because we're taking a vacation for our 20th to Vegas and all I can talk about is the famous donut shop with vegan donuts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Vegetarian Times did some donut recipes that were amazing. Time and labor intensive, but amazing. The jelly donuts taste exactly like I remembered.

Not healthy: they are all deep fried. I couldn't find the chocolate recipe, but here is the jelly donut recipe. The rest are in the September 2009 issue.

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/11078?section=

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:40 pm 

torque wrote:
these are next on my list to try.... and as she advises, NOT in a donut pan!
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/04/fa ... onuts.html

These are totally on my list, too. I love her website.. she has some yummy looking stuff.

Amy wrote:

Ooh thank you SO much for linking this! I always preferred yeast donuts back way back when. I'll have to give these a go sometime.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The raised glazed donuts in My Sweet Vegan are pretty good. I haven't tried them yet, but there's also a basic recipe for vegan raised and cake donuts in Doughnuts: Simple and Delicious Recipes to Make at Home, but most of the book isn't vegan, so that one is best from the library.

When I made the My Sweet Vegan donuts, for lack of a donut cutter, I just cut out the shapes with a pair of empty jars, one of those thin jars that capers come in for the inner circle, and a jam jar for the outer circle. Worked fine as long as I kept the rims dusted with a little flour.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:11 am 
Not NOT A Furry

SkepticalVegan wrote:
STAY THE heck away from donut pans, the results suck!

Really? I love my donut pan. I thought my cake donuts turned out great, and they were the first thing to sell out at the bake sale I put on recently. I haven't tried raised donuts, though--is that what you've made?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:14 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Ive just never have had good result with baked donuts other than one baked "donut hole" recipe. I say frying is the way to go, raised or cake.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:45 am 
Naked Under Apron

I made the cake donuts from the last babycakes and they came out pretty good...especially after i spread them with peanut butter buttercream and dunked them in a sugar glaze. My only complaint was in the recipe, not the donut pans...

see? yummy.

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:56 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I think doughnut preference must be a regional thing, because to me baked never means doughnut. The only reason I would even call a baked round cake with a hole in it the d-word would be to make my poor, impressionable child think she is getting a doughnut.

There is an amazing Krispy Kreme recipe linked somewhere on this forum, because to me doughnuts are light and airy deep-fried goodness. So good they're even worth the extra few letters. Never trust a doughnut with just five letters!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:22 am 
Naked Under Apron

I assumed baked just came about because most people don't want to deep fry? I know I don't, because it scares me a little.

But the cake donuts I've eaten over the years have all been fried!

kittee, those look perfect. The ones I made were hilariously misshapen.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:29 am 
Naked Under Apron

Oh! And I just saw these vegan bear claws. Are those donuts? I've never had one. Maybe they aren't, but they're sold at donut places? I have no idea.

http://www.mypapercrane.com/blog/?p=5473

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:18 pm 

hoveringdog™ wrote:
When I made the My Sweet Vegan donuts, for lack of a donut cutter, I just cut out the shapes with a pair of empty jars, one of those thin jars that capers come in for the inner circle, and a jam jar for the outer circle. Worked fine as long as I kept the rims dusted with a little flour.

Genius!! I don't have donut cutters either so that would be perfect for me! Hannah's books are on my wishlist. I'm lusting after that vegan french macaron recipe..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:43 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

bekki wrote:
I think doughnut preference must be a regional thing, because to me baked never means doughnut. The only reason I would even call a baked round cake with a hole in it the d-word would be to make my poor, impressionable child think she is getting a doughnut.

There is an amazing Krispy Kreme recipe linked somewhere on this forum, because to me doughnuts are light and airy deep-fried goodness. So good they're even worth the extra few letters. Never trust a doughnut with just five letters!

Yeah, I'm a fried yeast doughnut person as well. I never even liked cake doughnuts much as a child. I don't even care about the friedness, because it's not like I eat doughnuts very often! (Though I wish I did.) Fritz Pastry in Chicago does a decent doughnut, though I felt like the ones I ate were too brown on the outside.

I've been looking for good yeast doughnut recipes lately that don't have any dumb Ener-G egg replacers in them. The Vegan Dad ones look good, but I'd like to hear what others thought first. I also bookmarked this recipe from a PPKer when searching recipes a few days ago.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm trying to psych myself up to try the Vegan Diner ones this weekend. I have a weird mental block when it comes to yeasted things AND deep frying, though, so we'll see. It sounds like so much work! But on the other hand... doughnuts!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:16 pm 

queenofpainting wrote:
Fritz Pastry in Chicago does a decent doughnut, though I felt like the ones I ate were too brown on the outside.

Not that I go into the city too much but I'd love to try a vegan doughnut. Do you have to specify to them or are they just naturally veg?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:41 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

leraustin wrote:
Not that I go into the city too much but I'd love to try a vegan doughnut. Do you have to specify to them or are they just naturally veg?

Fritz Pastry is super vegan friendly and has certain items that are vegan, so I guess us Chicagoans are just lucky to have them around!

I remember making fried/yeast doughnuts for the first time (vegan ones!) in high school with my dad and they turned out extremely well. They were like the Krispy Kremes of my dreams and even the jelly ones I threw together were good, too. Actually, I think that recipe used Ener-G, so maybe I should just stop fussin' and buy another box already.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:19 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I will eat any doughnut or donut I can get my hands on. Fried, baked, I don't care, as long as it's vegan and has a really great glaze. I'm excited to try those Vegan Dad donuts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've never had a problem with my donut pan but if you are thinking light and fried ala Krispy Kreme you will be disappointed. You might need to fry up some donuts if that is what you want.

The book HDog mentioned has a lot of glaze and flavor variations that can be used with the vegan recipes, BTW.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:49 am 

queenofpainting wrote:
leraustin wrote:

Fritz Pastry is super vegan friendly and has certain items that are vegan, so I guess us Chicagoans are just lucky to have them around!

I remember making fried/yeast doughnuts for the first time (vegan ones!) in high school with my dad and they turned out extremely well. They were like the Krispy Kremes of my dreams and even the jelly ones I threw together were good, too. Actually, I think that recipe used Ener-G, so maybe I should just stop fussin' and buy another box already.

Awesome! I will definitely count myself lucky to live near an awesome pastry place! =)

Jelly doughnuts.. *drooooool*

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I have a donut pan and a mini donut pan and I've never made anything with them. I want to, though. What recipes are y'all using for baked donuts?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:03 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i'm a huge fan of cake donuts (proper fried cake donuts) baked donuts are not donuts. donuts need that sheen of oil on the outside. mmmmmmmmmmm.

(and bear claws are pastry. like danishes.)