| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Kitchen
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:18 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the stuffed shells today, with some modifications. Halved the amount of olive oil for sautéing, used a 16 oz. pkg of tofu instead of 14 oz., and 1 C. fresh and 1 T dried basil for filling (only because basil is still so expensive here this time of year) The garden ricotta filling was really tasty, light and fluffy. I might reduce the pepper next time, because it was a touch too spicy for my taste.

This recipe does not require 1 lb. of jumbo shells. I cooked a 12 oz. box, and the recipe only made enough to fill half the shells. I ended up with 21 stuffed shells, and now have a bowl full of leftover cooked ones. Annoying.

Not sure I'd made this again, but definitely want to try the lasagna recipe which uses the garden ricotta.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:22 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

okay, her cinnamon rolls are the best cinnamon rolls ever. so good.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:20 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Shukriyya wrote:
I had not heard of avocado toast before Chloe's cookbook and I absolutely love it!

I just went to the kitchen to toast up my mid-morning bagel (which I normally accessorize with EB and nooch on one side, PB and nooch on the other) and spotted some leftover avocado from my husband's stinky omni breakfast (read: bacon-infused house, gag).

I smashed up the avocado on top of a little EB, covered with nooch, and WOW - was it ever so incredibly delicious, decadent, and satisfying! Basic as it sounds, avocado on toast had not occurred to me before seeing it in the CK book and reading the commentary here. So, thanx to all who gave it a mention!

The crunch from the toasted bagel, and the combination of the EB, nooch and the avocado really reminded me of a BLTA from my pregan days. But without the harm and subsequent guilt, of course.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:37 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I never heard of avocado on toast too. I'm waiting on some avocados to become ripe then I will be off to buy some bread.

I made the falafel tonight but I baked them rather than fry because I'm trying to cut back on oil. Looking forward to having them for lunch tomorrow. If I wasn't so full I would have one now.

I have some ripe bananas. Tempted to make banana cupcakes tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:23 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thyme for creamy for creamy scalloped potatoes

It was nice but I thought it would be more like a whole meal. But its easy & very tasty.

Cherry Hand Pies (From the Dessert Book)

They were very crumbly and pretty "buttery". They didnt taste very vegan, so that could be a good thing, but I didnt like them much.

Easy Peasy Pasta Salad

Nice but again, i thought it would be a whole meal but when I ate it as a meal by itself it was very bland. And the oil & calories are pretty crazy (i think that goes for a lot/most of her recipes?), so I'd need it to taste awesome...

I dont get her serving sizes at all. 6-8 people? As what, a meal? A side dish?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah, I consider the scalloped potatoes and pasta salad side dishes, so then I guess the 6-8 servings make more sense.

Agree with you about the caloric count though. I basically leave most of the oil out, and don't notice it's absence.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:13 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

couroupita wrote:
I basically leave most of the oil out, and don't notice it's absence.

Same here. I never measure oil (except when I'm baking) and usually only use a very small amount. The dishes definitely taste fine without all the oil.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:56 pm 
Tofu Pup

Everything I made from the book was delicious. So far I've made:

Chloe's Favorite Five-Minute Salad

Avocado Toast

LA-Style Chimichurri Tacos

Sour Cream (to go with the tacos)

Avocado Pesto Pasta

Chocolate-Chip Brownie Bites

My omnivore husband LOVES everything from this cookbook. He said "the vegan food you made before wasn't bad, but it was just like vegetable and stuff. But everything you cook from that girl's cookbook has been so freaking awesome! It tastes like restaurant gourmet style kinda food. She is cool. I like her."

Her recipes are really tasty, but not necessarily healthy. She's heavy on oil and salt. But I guess that's why her food tastes good. It definitely appeals to non-vegans.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:10 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Made the mac and cheese tonight, definitely not the best ever but it hit the spot! It tasted like this recipe that was on the old PPK site years ago, and that I made a ton of times when I first went vegan, which was kind of fun! Bonus- it was way quicker and much, much cheaper than my usual recipe (the Vegan Table one), so I can see it being made again.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:19 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I whipped up some baked donuts tonight!

I feel slightly sick from eating one too many, but they're good! I've made the Babycakes donuts in the past and while Boyfriend always loved them, I found them a bit dense for my tastes. These ones are much lighter. And I was pleasantly surprised to see that they didn't have a ton of oil (a quarter cup, for twelve donuts) like the other recipes seem to.

I glazed most of them, but I also tossed a couple in cinnamon sugar while they were still warm, and they were probably my favourites. I'll totally make them again, especially because they just use regular pantry ingredients.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:28 am 
Saggy Butt

Wow, those donuts look amazing!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:53 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I want the zebra donut!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:07 am 
Tofu Pup

OMG I am drooling looking at those donuts!! Look perfect, and I want one... actually I want all four!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:12 am 
Tofu Pup

Wasabi Sesame Noodle Salad was lovely. It was light, and tastes great. I like it cold. This would be a great lunch when the weather is hot.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:02 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Those donuts look amazing. Good job on the decorating!

Everything else in here looks great too- noodles, tacos, salads, all of it. I only have the ebook version of this, which I think is why I haven't paid much attention to it, but clearly I need to! Maybe I'll finally make the peanutty noodles this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

Ohhh...everyone's dishes look spectacular!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:27 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Oh, man...all of that looks delicious. Reminds me I need to make the avocado pesto pasta soon!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:48 pm 
Tofu Pup

This week I made:

Garlic White Bean Dip

Initially I thought the dip was too salty. But when served with raw veggies, it was just right. The dip made any raw veggie tastes good.

Orange You Glad I Made Crispy Tofu?

Soooooo good! Never knew it was that easy to make the "orange sauce". Will definitely be making this more.

Garlicky Greens

I always make my greens this way even before this cookbook. Any veggies taste great with garlic!

Pancakes for Dinner

The batter was super easy to make with just a few ingredients. The pancakes were fluffy and yummy.

Cinnamon-Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies

I'm not that experienced in baking. Don't even know if I made this completely right. The cookie is really rich. Hubby thought it was too sweet. It had a little bit of bitter taste because of the espresso. It's D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y an "adult" cookie.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:12 pm 
Chip Strong

I just got this book from the library and was so excited to try a bunch of stuff.
First up, the double double burgers (or whatever they are called). E-P-I-C fail! they were gross. I have no idea what happened or what I may have done wrong but they were barely edible. texture was off, taste was off. blah. The special sauce that went with them was super tastey and the only thing that allowed me to finish the meal.

The Mac and cheese was next. I thought the sauce was too sweet (won't use the agave next time??) so I added some shredded Daiya Jack to it. was pretty good!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:31 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hoodwinked wrote:
First up, the double double burgers (or whatever they are called). E-P-I-C fail! they were gross. I have no idea what happened or what I may have done wrong but they were barely edible. texture was off, taste was off. blah. The special sauce that went with them was super tastey and the only thing that allowed me to finish the meal.

AMEN to that. I was so excited for them - since In-n-Out is a big deal here in CA, and everyone raved. But the burger patty was NASTY, IMO - had even made extra to freeze for when my family bbqs, and I tossed out the frozen reserves.

But yes indeed, the sauce is great, and I've made it several times for subsequent family bbqs (with my old stand-by Gardein burgers, however).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:16 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

VeganVamp wrote:
Hoodwinked wrote:

AMEN to that. I was so excited for them - since In-n-Out is a big deal here in CA, and everyone raved. But the burger patty was NASTY, IMO - had even made extra to freeze for when my family bbqs, and I tossed out the frozen reserves.

But yes indeed, the sauce is great, and I've made it several times for subsequent family bbqs (with my old stand-by Gardein burgers, however).

That really blows, we made it and loved it. It's actually our favorite homemade veggie burger, we make it every time it's nice enough to pull out the grill.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:54 am 
Tofu Pup

For the Double Double Drive-Thru Burgers, there are options of tempeh or brown rice for the patty. I'm wondering which one did you use? Could it be one or the other make this burger patty tasty or nasty?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bree wrote:
That really blows, we made it and loved it. It's actually our favorite homemade veggie burger, we make it every time it's nice enough to pull out the grill.

Same for us! It's definitely the only homemade veggie burger my omni partner has really enjoyed, especially with the sauce. We used brown rice in ours, not tempeh.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:40 am 
So Totally Yiffy

eileen216 wrote:
For the Double Double Drive-Thru Burgers, there are options of tempeh or brown rice for the patty. I'm wondering which one did you use? Could it be one or the other make this burger patty tasty or nasty?

We've done both options and they both turn out well, however I have a bad tempeh tooth and prefer it that way, but it is a bit more work so the rice option is nice for that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:48 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Love this cookbook! I made the banana cupcakes last weekend & they were awesome.
Last night I made the chana masala & vegetable biryani from the indian buffet trio and they were both yum too.
The only recipe I've tried that I didn't like was the broccoli cheese soup. It was just gross!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next