| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 700 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Kitchen
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:29 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I made some of the Iced Apple Cake Squares and they are excellent ...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:45 pm 
Saggy Butt

teacup wrote:

Did you have trouble baking them? The original recipe didn't work for me although I really wished it did.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:08 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Hey Stella. I've made them before following the recipe as written and it worked great. My only feedback on that recipe is I thought they were too sweet with the icing. However that could be due to the apple I used being sweeter.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

Oh ok, thanks, maybe I'll try again!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:41 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Stella wrote:
teacup wrote:

Did you have trouble baking them? The original recipe didn't work for me although I really wished it did.

Stella, I had no probs ... I did not ice them though ...

what probs did you have?

I baked them in a non-stick pan which I also sprayed with PAM so they virtually fell out ...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:15 am 
Saggy Butt

teacup wrote:
Stella wrote:
teacup wrote:

Stella, I had no probs ... I did not ice them though ...

what probs did you have?

I baked them in a non-stick pan which I also sprayed with PAM so they virtually fell out ...

I had to increase baking time by at least 15 minutes, and never got a really solid texture... I thought maybe it was because there is a lot of oil, and that maybe it would help replacing half of it with applesauce?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:48 am 
Saggy Butt

Made the Wild Mushroom Fettuccine Stroganoff, without the porcini mushrooms (just the cremini). Nice creamy pasta. Also made the Ceasar dressing; although good (might be a little too salty for my taste, though), I didn't think it tasted exactly like Ceasar dressing. Up next: the chocolate creme brulée!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:02 pm 
Saggy Butt

Made the Chocolate Creme Brulée, and I actually thought it was too sweet, which is rare for me. The caramelized sugar on top was just too much for me; but, the pudding firmed up really nicely and is a great recipe as such, without the brulée on top!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:40 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Ok so my dad is telling me he wants to "experience the vegan lifestyle" (I'll take it) and wants me to make him vegan meals at least once a week. Chloe's spicy tomato soup (from her other book) is his #1 favorite soup in the world. I'm excited for my dad (his health is failing and for him to want to start a new project, well that is a great sign) but his limitations are making this very hard. No soy, no beans, very limited nuts, he doesn't like this or that, etc.

So boring story even more boring - I looked through every one of my cookbooks and gathered stuff he wants to try. Yesterday I made him the Peanutty Perfection Noodles. He agreed to the small amount of peanut butter. He's never had a peanut sauce on anything. He keeps saying that he wants an adventure, and expand his horizons. And my mom is sick of making the same stuff over and over for him. He LOVED the dish! :) He even took some of the leftovers! He said "I really like it, but I can't explain why." He couldn't categorize it, it was fun to watch him try. There are so many flavors going on in the dish, I get what he's saying. And it's SO easy to make, my mom will be able to do it. She isn't a good directions follower, and tends to just make up meals. I get anxiety when I have to make any subsitutions, I like to follow recipes exactly.

It felt good to know that I could count on Chloe to make my dad a delicious meal once again!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

masuphl333 wrote:
So boring story even more boring - I looked through every one of my cookbooks and gathered stuff he wants to try. Yesterday I made him the Peanutty Perfection Noodles. He agreed to the small amount of peanut butter. He's never had a peanut sauce on anything. He keeps saying that he wants an adventure, and expand his horizons. And my mom is sick of making the same stuff over and over for him. He LOVED the dish! :) He even took some of the leftovers! He said "I really like it, but I can't explain why." He couldn't categorize it, it was fun to watch him try. There are so many flavors going on in the dish, I get what he's saying. And it's SO easy to make, my mom will be able to do it. She isn't a good directions follower, and tends to just make up meals. I get anxiety when I have to make any subsitutions, I like to follow recipes exactly.

It felt good to know that I could count on Chloe to make my dad a delicious meal once again!

Not a boring story at all. I think it's really touching.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:08 pm 

LFL wrote:
masuphl333 wrote:

Not a boring story at all. I think it's really touching.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:12 pm 
Saggy Butt

Made the Orecchiette Pasta with No-Cook Spinach Sauce (with penne) and it's a great way to use up baby spinach if you bought a bunch and have too many (my case). Heated up really well for pasta, too.

masuphl333, I think this could probably also be a contender for an omni dad :)!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:40 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I looked at this book against last night for the first time in a long time because I've been so pleasantly surprised by her Italian book and I marked a tonne of recipes to try. Her recipes aren't rocket science inventive but they are pretty congruent with the way I like stuff to taste.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:26 pm 

Stella wrote:
Made the Orecchiette Pasta with No-Cook Spinach Sauce (with penne) and it's a great way to use up baby spinach if you bought a bunch and have too many (my case). Heated up really well for pasta, too.

masuphl333, I think this could probably also be a contender for an omni dad :)!

Good to know! Thanks! He loves baby spinach - so that's perfect!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:45 pm 
Nailed to the V

Just got this book and made the alfredo and garlic bread. It seems some people find the sauce too sweet but I think it was the perfect balance. I added crushed red pepper to the sauteeing onion though. I think I would increase the miso by one teaspoon next time I make it. Really tasty meal.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BERzyNOqPwo ... cooksvegan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:34 am 
Nailed to the V

Continuing my exploration of this pretty book, I made carbonara using leftover Alfredo sauce and the shittake recipe from Vegan Bowls. I also made the spinach artichoke dip. I added Miyoko's smoked farmhouse to half and it made it a bit too rich for my tastes. I prefer the non-cheesy half which is the original recipe! This is why I never tinker. ;)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEkBBH_qP_v ... cooksvegan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:47 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Thanks for doing this Alin! I have this book but rarely cook from it so I'm looking forward to your pics and reviews.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:13 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I was in New York last week and bought an autographed copy of this book with the plan of giving it to my carnivore sister (she has been complaining that she doesn't know what to cook for me when I come over) but decided to keep it myself. (because of the autograph) Will buy another copy for her though, because this book is very family-friendly. So far I've made the cinnamon rolls, which were delicious, will add some more cinnamon next time though. Also made the Iced Apple Squares, which were a huge hit with my mother, but I found them a bit too greasy. The Celebration Cake (with chocolate frosting) was amazing (and so simple!), and very well received by my nieces.
The 'best-ever mac and cheese' was tasty as well, but not sure about the 'best' part. Added some more breadcrumbs and served it with ketchup which made it very comforting.
Tonight I'm making the Western Black Eyed Peas skillet, but with rice in stead of the biscuits. Will report back on how it turns out.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:25 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

The Barley Bliss casserole was one of the first recipes I ever marked and I finally made it last night as I am sick and I left work early.

It was really easy and tasty, even though I had to skimp on the nooch. I ate some cold out of the pan this morning, still good.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

As HeatherBear mentioned in the ebook bargains thread, the ebook for Chloe's Kitchen is now on sale for $3.99!

https://www.amazon.com/Chloes-Kitchen-Delicious-Recipes-Making-ebook/dp/B005FLNZVU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:06 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I made the Penne with Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce earlier this week, and it was a big hit. It was like fancy mac n' cheese but with tomatoes. Omni husband and I both loved it.

Also, this was the first time I'd ever successfully made a cream sauce, vegan or not. Score one for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:49 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Made the Chocolate Chip Brownie Bites for a picnic and they were a hit! "Fresh" and "really rich, but in a good way" was how my omni friends described them. They were really easy to make and they traveled well.

I've been making the No-Cook Spinach Sauce a lot lately. I make a big batch and then freeze it for later. I'll never have a bag of spinach wilt on me again!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:53 am 

I made the lasagna from this book and though it wasn't as good as the one in her Italian book, my husband is nuts for it.

I bought stuff for the meatballs, cornbread poppers, and tapenade, which is a rather ridiculous Sunday "meal" but whatever, I feel like appetizers that don't go together. I made the garlic knots late last night and they were the best snack.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:10 pm 

Those meatballs were awesome!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

vijita wrote:
I made the lasagna from this book and though it wasn't as good as the one in her Italian book, my husband is nuts for it.

I haven't made the other one but my husband and I loved the lasagna from this book. It's been a few years since I made it and I still remember how good it was.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 700 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28