| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 592 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Kitchen
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:41 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I don't care about the cooking time for onions either-like you, I just cook them to my liking, but for those who don't have much experience, it's good to have a basic time range of how long you're going to be cooking them for.

Happy tax refund!

queenofpainting wrote:
Onions are one thing I don't really care about the cooking time for. I just do it to my own liking, because I use onions in sooooo many savory recipes.

This already has 15 reviews so far on Amazon, all 5 stars. Woop! I also think she could be a good mainstream voice for veganism. I'm going to go ahead and buy this when my tax refund comes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

adaline wrote:
Yeah, Chloe is super hot. I wonder how in the heck she stays so thin, as most of her recipes are NOT healthy. Still looking forward to getting my copy (shipped today) and emanningbx I do appreciate your input.

luck of the draw from the genetic pool, probably.

i don't have this book yet but everything looks really good!

Alice Walker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:38 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

aniveg wrote:
adaline wrote:
Yeah, Chloe is super hot. I wonder how in the heck she stays so thin, as most of her recipes are NOT healthy. Still looking forward to getting my copy (shipped today) and emanningbx I do appreciate your input.

luck of the draw from the genetic pool, probably. i don't have this book yet but everything looks really good!

Agreed, about the genetics. I follow her facebook, and she seems to be always eating a lot of decadent and delicious food at home and at restaurants. I wish I could be so lucky!

So far I have made the Mongolian BBQ Seitan and O.M.G. it was so good. The main ingredient in the bbq sauce is hoisin, and I can't get enough of that stuff. I'm making the Fettucini Alfredo later this week, so I will report my results when I try it!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:31 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

emanningbx wrote:
; 3) she fails to note in the ingredient list that the margarine that will be needed has to be melted so I had to do a very last minute melting. I'd like to hear from others as to whether these complaints are overly picky--feedback is welcome!!

Probably best to read through the entire recipe before attempting. I have a friend who refuses to do so when he invites me over to cook it's just so much of a hassle I'd rather I didn't (he owns cookbooks I don't).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:57 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Reading through the recipe--you're so right. I shouldn't blame the recipe (or Chloe) for my lameness!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:58 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I have this one the way. Excited!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:07 am 
Saggy Butt

I made the baked sprinkles donuts on Sunday and they were a big hit with my family. They were yummy, easy to make, and didn't make me feel guilty for eating three of them. I was happy to have a reason to use my donut pan.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:12 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Re: Chloe's thinness, dunno how much this has to do with it, but I hear she's big into yoga. So unfair-I do loads of yoga and it's not making me thin! Namaste.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:31 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Yeah I think she is big into yoga. Otherwise that picture of her doing the splits on the countertop while holding her cookbook may be slightly awkward.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So I got this and it looks great. I take back what I said earlier about not noticing that many pictures of her...there are tons.

Also, the sweet and sour sauce made me giggle and think of the PPK.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:46 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

You guys, Chloe's weight or why she's slim has absolutely nothing to do with her book. Let's just keep it limited to the recipes and anything else book related.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:24 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

mrsbadmouth wrote:
You guys, Chloe's weight or why she's slim has absolutely nothing to do with her book. Let's just keep it limited to the recipes and anything else book related.

thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:10 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I made the donuts. They're good but they are more "cake" good than "donut" good. Very moist.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:30 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Forgot to mention...I liked that the donut recipe was easy to cut in half. I weighed the oil & vinegar since half was 1/8 cup or 1 oz. It worked great.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:37 pm 

I just bought it today. (The doughnuts pushed me over the edge; I'll probably have to adjust the baking time since I have a mini pan, but it'll be worth it.)

The Wontons with Apricot-Mustard Sauce have me practically salivating. I'll end up steaming them since I tend to fail at frying things, but I'll report back once I've actually cooked with it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:22 pm 
Huffs Nooch

My copy just got here and I couldn't be more thrilled. It's not every day you flip through a cookbook and about 90% of the recipes look appealing. And it's definitely a lovely book, with tons of photos (not just of the author, but LOTS of food photos). I cannot wait to make the jalapeno cornbread poppers with whipped maple butter, the stuffed shells with arrabbiata sauce, or the falafel sliders with avocado hummus.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:53 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the cinnamon espresso chocolate chip cookies today and they were fantastic.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:53 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I love this book so far. First off, almost all of the recipes look appealing to me, which is super exciting. Second, I've made the falafel sliders with avocado hummus and fettucine alfredo. Both were big hits, especially the falafel sliders. I've also made the components for the LA style chimichurri tacos and am excited to try them tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Avocado pesto pasta was most delicious!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:53 pm 

We made the Peanutty Perfection noodles and it was really good. I used whole wheat spaghetti instead of rice noodles. I had a lot of extra sauce, but I'm not complaining.
Not sure what will be next, maybe one of the "award winning cupcakes". I do need to take something to an upcoming wedding shower.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:17 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I LOVE this book! I feel like my cooking mojo has returned thanks to Chloe's Kitchen!

Last weekend I made the Crispy Potato Patties (OMG so good!), the Jalapeño Poppers, the Classic Roast Veg (I had no idea how good roasted cauliflower is, I need to make it every day!) and the Iced Apple Squares (but I left them un-iced).

And last night I made the BBQ pineapple pizza as well as the BBQ sauce - it was far too sweet for me but my bf liked the sauce.

All easy to make gluten and soy free too!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:08 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

That picture of the jalapeno cornbread poppers on Amazon makes me want to weep with joy. I'm so happy to see it's getting good reviews because a huge percentage of recipes appeal to me, so I anticipate that this will be a new favorite. I'm going to buy this book when I get my paycheck Thursday!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:29 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Has anyone tried the bbq seitan recipe? I couldn't find the chili garlic sauce so I just added some chili powder & garlic powder. It didn't get thick or sticky and definitely didn't look like the pic. It's edible but not great. I'm wondering if the chili garlic sauce made that much difference or did I do something else wrong?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:32 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

replacing a sauce with two powders doesn't seem like it'd work. if there's an asian market near you, that's where i'd look for chili garlic sauce.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:50 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Normally I wouldn't replace a sauce with a powder but since it was only 1-2 tsp of sauce I didn't think it would cause a major difference and that it was just for flavor. Thank you for advice on where to find the sauce. I tried whole foods, kroger, & wal mart with no luck.

Reply to topic  [ 592 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next