| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Kitchen
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:56 am 
WELFARIST!

^Yeah, I've been planning on making the bolognese. Maybe this weekend!

I'm craving her shittake cashew udon noodle soup today but I don't have the fixins'.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:08 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I am like the biggest fan of rich food ever but that bolognese was so rich to me I ata about half a portion and that's unheard of for me. Good though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:19 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah, even with thinning out the sauce a little, my husband went back for seconds, unheard of for him and then said "I think I ate too much".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:09 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the Fettucini Alfredo and I did not like it very much. It's possible that I've not had "authentic" fettucini alfredo before, I've had some that was cheezier. So I wasn't sure what to make of the sauce. I liked it better when I sprinkled vegan parmesan on top. I used whole wheat fettucini, so it's definitely filling. I felt that the miso taste was too strong.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:15 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

oh yes my kid and I looooved the bolognese. I was just excited to have something a little different because we so often just use seitan for any dish like this (partner is a seitan addict though and he thought it was just ok). I thought the technique was cool and really transformed the mush into something so meaty! It did make a ton though, so what I did was freeze half the processed mixture and used it for another meal weeks later; we definitely needed a full batch of our own tomato sauce just to eat the half-batch of "meat". Great way to get some fats and protein into my skinny kid.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:56 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the stuffed shells last night and they came out really good. my husband absolutely loved them and while i liked them they were a tad spicy for me. i put in a scant 1/2 tsp of the red pepper flakes instead of a full 1/2 tsp but im not sure it made much diference.
still very tasty.

i did run across one issue. i made the garden ricotta and tasted it by itself and it was way too much SOMETHING. perhaps too much salt but im not sure. maybe have been too much black pepper (i usually dont use much black pepper and this time i actually measured it out and put it in). OR it could have been the garlic. i put in 2 regular cloves of garlic and hten i had a leftover clove of elephant garlic from my garden that was getting past it's prime so i threw that in. usually elephant garlic is more mild but im wondering if since it was old it was stronger. since my ricotta was so strong i didnt put salt or pepper in the sauce and i also used unsalted crushed tomatoes. by itself the sauce was definitely under salted but put with the shells it evened out. my husband was like "wow these are garlicky but good" but im not sure garlic was the predominant spice. i think it may have been the red peppers from the sauce.

also has anyone made the easy peasy pasta salad? 2/3 oil seems like insanity!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:12 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I finally made the apple cake last night. I did half applesauce, half oil and I had to bake it an extra 30 min. I also did half without icing and half with because my husband prefers really sweet desserts. I liked it but I don't think I'd make it again. I think I have texture issues with fruit desserts...I don't like the texture of soft fruit (even in most pies!) and the little pieces of apple in the cake kind of turned me off. It seemed like it was a little soggy inside, even though it was baked. I'm not sure if it's because of the apples losing moisture or if it's from the applesauce. But my husband liked it, so that's a win! I wonder if I could shred the apples like you do with carrots when you make carrot cake...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:11 am 
WRETCHED

Shredding might work, I have a problem with soft apples but this didn't bother me because I cut the apple pieces pretty small.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:44 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

LisaPunk wrote:

i did run across one issue. i made the garden ricotta and tasted it by itself and it was way too much SOMETHING. perhaps too much salt but im not sure. maybe have been too much black pepper (i usually dont use much black pepper and this time i actually measured it out and put it in). OR it could have been the garlic. i put in 2 regular cloves of garlic and hten i had a leftover clove of elephant garlic from my garden that was getting past it's prime so i threw that in. usually elephant garlic is more mild but im wondering if since it was old it was stronger. since my ricotta was so strong i didnt put salt or pepper in the sauce and i also used unsalted crushed tomatoes. by itself the sauce was definitely under salted but put with the shells it evened out. my husband was like "wow these are garlicky but good" but im not sure garlic was the predominant spice. i think it may have been the red peppers from the sauce.

We usually cut the garlic in half because it's a little too overpowering for us, and we use less salt in the ricotta as well, since we use salt in the sauce.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:23 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

normally im all about tons of garlic but i think in the entire recipe there is 6-7 cloves of garlic. 3 in the ricotta and 3-4 in the sauce!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:25 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I received this book for Channukah. It wasn't on my short list of must-buy cookbooks, however I'm becoming very inspired by the recipes.

I started with the roasted tomato soup with pumpernickel croutons and WOW! This may be the most delicious tomato soup recipe I've ever had. The pumpernickel croutons were also great. We had them in our salad too.

I also made the meatballs from the sweet & sour meatball recipe (I substituted black beans for lentils, because that's what I had on hand). I found the recipe to be a bit on the dry side (possibly because of my substitution), but I just added a bit more liquid and it worked great. I cooked the meatballs according to directions and served them with marinara and spaghetti, and they were perfectly delicious.

My omni roommate has requested the mocha almond layer cake for her birthday, so that's my next adventure!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:40 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the warm spinach artichoke dip again, but this time used Beanitos chips. Unbelievably good! The flavors mixed together in a magical way. My omni mother completely loved it too and couldn't quite figure out what was making it so creamy. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That spaghetti is SO forking GOOD. Really hearty and rich-tasting. Must have with garlic bread.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:24 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the easy peasy pasta salad for dinner tonight. it was ok. nothing spectacular. kinda different from other pasta salads ive had.

i only put 1/3 cup olive oil in the sauce instead of 2/3 cause i thought 2/3 was insanity.
but then i ended up putting some veganaise on mine soooooo....yeah ;-)

i have leftovers for tomorrow. i wonder if it will be even better tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:41 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've been making the sweet and sour sauce so much lately that I finally decided to make the tempeh meatballs to go with it. I had to use cashews instead of walnuts; they still tasted really good. The only downside was that my blendtec did not mix the dough as easily as I expected.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

creep wrote:
That spaghetti is SO forking GOOD. Really hearty and rich-tasting. Must have with garlic bread.

This was so good, I ate it three days in a row. Dinner, lunch, and lunch. I miss it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:22 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

creep wrote:
creep wrote:

This was so good, I ate it three days in a row. Dinner, lunch, and lunch. I miss it.

Which spagetti?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:25 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bolognese

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:32 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:26 am 
Nailed to the V

I want to make the Orange You Glad I Made Crispy Tofu, but I am wondering if it would work if I baked it. I've never deep fried anything and honestly I think I am better off not knowing how to do it well. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:38 pm 
WELFARIST!

You could give it a shot. Bake it till it's crispy then maybe put the cubes in the orange sauce on the stove because it's the cornstarch coating on the tofu that thickens the sauce.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:31 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thanks - I would never have thought of that. Will definitely give it a shot.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:46 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I don't do deep-frying either, so I just dry-fried the tofu on the stove when I made the orange tofu. It was very good, but probably less crispy than the deep-fried version. I think baking it is a pretty good idea! Let us know how it turned out, masuphl.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:09 am 
Nailed to the V

So my sister and I made the Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Sage Butter, and now it's my favorite recipe from her book! I love gnocchi, so I'm partial anyway, but these are like little pillows of heaven! And the sage butter........nom!! I froze about 2/3 of the gnocchi, cuz it makes a ton. Can't wait to eat 'em again!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:46 pm 
Nailed to the V

Shukriyya wrote:
I don't do deep-frying either, so I just dry-fried the tofu on the stove when I made the orange tofu. It was very good, but probably less crispy than the deep-fried version. I think baking it is a pretty good idea! Let us know how it turned out, masuphl.

Good to know - thanks. I am trying it tomorrow for lunch - will report back!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 26  Next