| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Kitchen
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:11 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I got this book from the library and I loved it so much I went out and bought it as soon as I had to return it. So far I have made:

Black-eyed pea skillet- was really, really good, a little too sweet but will adjust accordingly next time, we loved the biscuits and maple butter
Pineapple not-so-fried rice-Fantastic!
Scalloped potatos- so creamy and wonderful but will use less garlic next time
Chinese take out chow mein- A hit here, have made it three times and my six year old daughter loves to help cook and eat it
Jalepeno corn poppers- pretty good but will try baking them next time
Espresso chocolate cin. cookies- Good but a little too sweet for me, all the omni's I served them to loved them
Yoga cookies- Now these I loved, just the right sweetness
Donuts-the onlt thing I haven't liked yet but my 10 year old daughter did

So many more things I can't wait to try, I have only had the book about a month and I've never used a cookbook so much, I love it!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:17 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Has anyone made the brownie bites from this book? I made them last night and they are super crumbly (but delicious!) and won't hold together at all. We are too lazy to roll them into balls but it seems like the balls wouldn't hold together all that well unless I used super strength to smoosh them.

Update - I just tried to smoosh some into a ball and it held together pretty well but I did have to sort of destroy the crumb of the brownie.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:55 pm 
Nailed to the V

Omg. The Peaunutty Perfection Noodles. Omg.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:21 pm 
Chard Martyr

I'm making the mac and cheese tonight because it doesn't have Daiya in it and looks New Farm-y, which is my favourite.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:51 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I just made this tonight! The mac' n cheese that is. I only made half the recipe as a sidedish and it still made alot. I added some tumeric and dry and mustard to make it more orange/yellow. I also used unsweetened almond milk. The sauce by itself was really good and nice and creamy. I didn't use the breadcrumbs or bake it because I don't like think baked mac' n cheese, just stirred the sauce in and ate it. I also added peas o my portion which I really liked. My and my daughters both really liked it. In fact my 10 year old, who is an extemely picky eater went bake for seconds. That in itself says alot as it's usually a struggle to get her to finish more then a few bites of something. My 13 year old son wouldn't try it and my DH didn't really like it but by the time he got home and ate it the noodles had soaked up much of the sauce and it was more soggy/sticky then creamy. Tomarrow I am making the Easy-Peasy Pasta Salad with the other half of the box of noodles that I made tonight so I will report back.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:19 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I love this book. I hope she makes another cookbook! I had serious doubts, especially after reading through it the first time (so many recipes seemed to call for mushrooms and I hate mushrooms). Off the top of my head we have tried the Tempeh Piccata, the Pineapple Fried Rice, the BBQ Pizza (used the crock pot for the onions, which is the most amazing idea ever), Penne Vodka, Caribbean Vegetables and Beans...I can't think of anything else, but I know there is more.

I went and bought her dessert cookbook even though I DO NOT need it at all, I typically don't buy dessert books, but I love this book so much, I figure anything she puts out must be good. And I am from New York and DYING to for an excuse to make the NY Crumb Cake. The first page!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:22 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the Yoga cookies tonight. I loved these cookies. I don't like raisins so I subbed cranberries in for them. The dough seemed very wet to me so I threw in just a bit more coconut and then put it in the fridge to chill where it firmed up a bit. I loved that the sweetness in the cookie came from maple syrup and the cranberries. It called for either agave or maple syrup and I think sometimes agave makes things just a tad too sweet for me, so I used maple syrup. I think these cookies are best once cooled also. I'm just sorry I only made a 1/2 recipe of these. These will be put in a regular rotation at my house.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:59 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I'm wondering if I could double the seitan in the mongolian bbq recipe but not the sauce? 8 oz of seitan is like one serving for me and I like to cook food for more than one day at the time, though I don't have enough hoisin to double the sauce. Maybe if I omit the peas?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Love Child wrote:
I'm wondering if I could double the seitan in the mongolian bbq recipe but not the sauce? 8 oz of seitan is like one serving for me and I like to cook food for more than one day at the time, though I don't have enough hoisin to double the sauce. Maybe if I omit the peas?

It's been a while since I made this, but I think it was pretty saucy. And yeah, it wasn't a whole lot of food. Doubling's not a bad idea.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:24 pm 
Chard Martyr

vijita wrote:
I'm making the mac and cheese tonight because it doesn't have Daiya in it and looks New Farm-y, which is my favourite.

I thought it was just okay. I made it exactly as written, for the purposes of attaining best-ever results, but I would definitely tinker with this recipe in the future. I think there is too much flour for the roux, not enough lemon, and fresh minced garlic would be so much preferable to powder. She calls for seasoned bread crumbs, which aren't available vegan at my grocery store, so I used panko mixed with some salt, pepper, and cayenne (I like heat on my mac and cheese!). I am in the jdfunks-patented club of adding miso to mac and cheese, but I restrained myself this time.

Flipping through it as I was waiting for my pasta to boil, I did find that I really want to revisit this book. I've been on a super spicy Asian/Indian/Ethiopian kick, so I've been neglecting my more everyday American food books.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:22 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I'm sad to say I wasn't overly sold on the peanut noodles. They were a bit meh. I managed to make them tasty by adding the daikon pickles from VEW to it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:32 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Could someone compare the Alfredo sauce in this book to that in VWAV? I remember not liking the vwav alfredo sauce. Unfortunately, it's been so long, I can't remember why...but a comparison would be helpful!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:19 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I think Chloe's alfredo is a lot closer to a "traditional alfredo", quite light and creamy. I think Isa called hers "alfreda" as it wasn't really like alfredo - I remember it being very pungent and mustardy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:57 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

So I made the Easy-Peasy Pasta salad toinight. I halved the recipe and left out the capers but otherwise followed the recipe. I am not quite sure how I feel about it yet. It was definitely different, not like any pasta salad I have had before. The texture was great, nice and creamy. The flavour was strong, maybe to much oregano? I will eat some more tomarrow and see how I feel about it then.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:20 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I really like the penne alla vodka. It's just really simple and pretty quick but feels sorta fancy. And the garlic bread really is the best. I remember it having kind of an absurd amount of earth balance, but it's totally worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:04 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

creep wrote:
Love Child wrote:

It's been a while since I made this, but I think it was pretty saucy. And yeah, it wasn't a whole lot of food. Doubling's not a bad idea.

I'll give it a try then!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:01 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I ate some more of the Easy-Peasy Pasta Salad today (okay twice today) and I liked it much better. I am not sure if it grew on me or if it really did taste better the next day. I really like the nice creamy texture.

Also I made the Mongolian BBQ Seitan except I made it without the mushrooms and used tofu instead of seitan. It was really tasty! I definatly be making it again, even just the sauce itself would be great on other things. I also just added the ginger, cinnamon and cloves right in with the sauce.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:52 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

mattomic wrote:
I think Chloe's alfredo is a lot closer to a "traditional alfredo", quite light and creamy. I think Isa called hers "alfreda" as it wasn't really like alfredo - I remember it being very pungent and mustardy.

Cool. Thank you. 'Pungent and mustardy' are ringing bells.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:47 am 
Nailed to the V

brontrent wrote:
I ate some more of the Easy-Peasy Pasta Salad today (okay twice today) and I liked it much better. I am not sure if it grew on me or if it really did taste better the next day. I really like the nice creamy texture.

Also I made the Mongolian BBQ Seitan except I made it without the mushrooms and used tofu instead of seitan. It was really tasty! I definatly be making it again, even just the sauce itself would be great on other things. I also just added the ginger, cinnamon and cloves right in with the sauce.

Would you recommend using less oregano? Or was it more subtle the next day?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:32 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

masuphl wrote:
brontrent wrote:

I would probably use a little less. I ended up eating it all and liking it. It is definatley different than other pastas salads so it just wasn't what I was expecting the first time. I think I ended up using a little extra water and potato (it didn't actually specify exactly how much potato) and it made it really nice and creamy, the creamy texture is really something awsome considering there is no vegan mayo.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I love the bolognese in this book, but my husband made the bean/walnut/flour mixture into meatballs instead of sauce, and holy shiitake good. I think he left out the milk and sugar, but otherwise just formed that mixture into balls, then fried and baked them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:33 pm 
Nailed to the V

brontrent wrote:
masuphl wrote:
brontrent wrote:

I would probably use a little less. I ended up eating it all and liking it. It is definatley different than other pastas salads so it just wasn't what I was expecting the first time. I think I ended up using a little extra water and potato (it didn't actually specify exactly how much potato) and it made it really nice and creamy, the creamy texture is really something awsome considering there is no vegan mayo.

Thanks for the info! Can't wait to make this.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:22 am 
WELFARIST!

creep wrote:
I love the bolognese in this book, but my husband made the bean/walnut/flour mixture into meatballs instead of sauce, and holy shiitake good. I think he left out the milk and sugar, but otherwise just formed that mixture into balls, then fried and baked them.

I'm making the bolognese probably today. I made the marinara sauce from Chloe's book last night so I can just throw the "meaty"/bolongnese component together in a jiff. The marinara sauce is a nice one. I tested it fresh off the stove last night and it had lots of flavor and I bet it'll even be better after sitting in the fridge overnight and allowing the flavors to blend.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I still prefer the bolognese as-is, but his version was great too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:50 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I just checked this out from the library and haven't made anything from it yet, but I am pre-judging it based on how many freaking full-page photos of her are in there! Some of them without any food at all! They're all so women-laughing-alone-with-salad-esque, too. It's funny/weird.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next